4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Warped Rotors at 15,000 miles!

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:00 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped Rotors at 15,000 miles!

I was just wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem on their 4th gens. My truck is a 2012 (purchased new 2 years ago) and shortly after the truck was a year old (around 15,000 miles) I noticed a pulsating in the brakes. I thought this was very strange since I frequently downshift on steep grades to save my brakes and now it seems that didn't help at all. Are the rotors that Dodge puts on these trucks really that crappy or am I just unlucky? I will most likely be replacing these in the Spring but I want to avoid the crap coming out of China (if that's even possible). Anybody have any suggestions for a good set of rotors?

Thanks

Old 01-22-2014, 08:47 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I mostly tow with my truck and I'm at 15.5kmi on my 2008. I'm pretty aggressive as well. My brakes are perfect.
I looked on Advance Auto's website and they have the same rotors for 2010 as they do for my 2008. They do not list 2011 or 12? So, unless something changed from 11+, then I think you have the same rotors. I do not know about pads if the compound is different.
I looked at a few aftermarket rotors for you and dindnt see anything listed for the '12 year.
If you go through several puddles when the brakes are hot, you can warp the rotors from the rapid cooling of them.

Maybe someone can confirm if the '12 is the same as the '10 so you can buy an aftermerket rotor for a '10 cause they are all over out there.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:58 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just unlucky, or you ride the brakes and don't realize it. 94K on my original 2009 rotors so far

Old 01-22-2014, 09:24 AM
glenn.d.smith
Professional

I'm actually pretty careful when braking and I don't ride them. Like I said since the truck was new I have downshifted on steep grades to try and avoid this. Its kind of a **** off to have been so careful and still have them warp. I suppose there could be something to the water immersion as we do get a lot of wet weather here in Newfoundland but its not like I am constantly going through puddles or anything only whatever splashes up from the road. One thing I have noticed about these rotors is that they rust a lot if you don't drive the truck for a day or two, but I'm not sure if this means anything or not. I have towed a small pop-up trailer a couple of times but I always use the trailer brake and downshift.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:41 AM
NoMoreGMsForMe
Professional

I replaced my front rotors at 60k ,there was chunks of metal missing from the back side ,I shopped around and any aftermarket rotor I found was made offshore , I stuck with original Mopar they are made in Canada ,the rust you see may be from the salt air and humidity of your province.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:47 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by glenn.d.smith
One thing I have noticed about these rotors is that they rust a lot if you don't drive the truck for a day or two, but I'm not sure if this means anything or not.
That is normal - bare metal and moisture = flash rust. Maybe you just got a bad batch of rotors, hopefully it won't happen again.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM
Shortride
Rookie

I know this lady that drives a late model Cadillac. She said she has had it at the dealers a few times for issues with the brakes. She's had the brake pads replaced twice in the first 20,000 miles and the rotors once. Early one morning on the way to eat breakfast at my favorite café I happen to get behind her just as she was pulling out of her neighborhood. She had here foot on the brake pedal the entire 3 and one half miles to the café. When we got to the breakfast place I told her that her brake lights were on all of the time I was behind here. She said she had no idea what was going on with here brake system.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:12 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

glenn, these transmissions aren't meant to downshift to slow down for everyday driving. Tiptonic transmissions are sorta meant for that(not entirely) and are a bit different in design as well. Same with manual transmissions...different.
If you want to slow down when braking, use Tow/Haul mode. It downshifts the truck sooner when braking and helps slow you down.

Brakes are cheap and easy to replace. Couple hundred vs couple thousand. Putting excessive wear and heat into your drive line for the purpose of saving brakes when you aren't towing anything is not recommended. I would only recomend it for safety reasons and keep it to a minimal, not something for an everyday practice. Beside's, it kinda defeats the purpose of having an automatic transmission..haha

shortride...you cant compare an oblivious old lady to someone who is a freak about using their brakes. I'm sure glenn is aware of how he is driving, unless he is using NASCAR feat with left foot on brake and right on gas all the time?

Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you sure they are warped? Sometimes pulsating is caused by other things. Go to the best independent local brake shop and have them looked at before you assume the rotors are toast.

Old 01-22-2014, 11:43 AM
MattsMountain
Professional

I've noticed some 'pulsating' with my brakes too, especially during light braking. I'm nearing 100K miles so I'll be putting some new pads and rotors on and flushing fluids this spring/summer. Hopefully that clears anything up. If you all have any recommendations for rotors and pads, I'd love to hear 'em!

Quick Reply: Warped Rotors at 15,000 miles!