4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ever tried Bluetooth receiver for iPod/iPhone input?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 08:49 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ever tried Bluetooth receiver for iPod/iPhone input?

I've been looking for a more streamlined way to play Pandora and other music streaming apps from my phone through the radio on my 2010 RAM. My radio has the 30 pin iPod/iPhone connector in the glove box. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully used a Bluetooth streaming receiver with that input to stream audio from the phone? This would be one step easier than the method I use now, which involves connecting the phone via the 3.5mm aux cable input on the radio.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

CoolStream Bluetooth Receiver

Seems like a good, cheap solution, but I'm guessing there is something subtle that will make it not work on our vehicles. I don't think Dodge took great care to make the 30-pin input fully industry standard.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 12-11-2014, 01:14 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

OK, so nobody has tried this here in the RAM forum...

Does anyone know of a good forum for all Chrysler products where audio topics are discussed in depth so I could post there? This issue obviously applies to any 2010-era Chrysler radio with iPod/iPhone input cable.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 12-19-2014, 02:44 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Figured I'd just give it a try. They are only $35 on Amazon. Got it yesterday and hooked it up. Couldn't be easier to connect things. Plug device into iPod cable in the glove box, turn BT on on the phone, find the device and pair (nothing extra to enter to pair). Bingo, I'm streaming Pandora audio to the radio.

However, that's where the smoothness ceased. Some type of communication error is occurring that disrupts the connection several times a minute. The radio's screen displays "Comm Error" on it for a few seconds and the audio drops out. Sometimes the audio starts up again, sometimes my phone stops playback due to this. I should note that their website never said my vehicle was for sure compatible. Nor did it say it wasn't. So I knew I was taking a risk. Amazon has easy returns though.

Contacted the CoolStream folks and they were very quick to offer me a similar but slightly upgraded device that may have more stable software in it. Once I get that I'll give things another try. I'm hopeful. This would be darn near as good as having a radio that integrates with the phone and allows Pandora streaming. I'll still have to start Pandora on the phone, but I don't have to connect any aux cords.

Rob

Old 12-24-2014, 06:01 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info Rob. I have been wondering and trying to get the same results out of my iPhone to stream Pandora without the AUX connection. I'm not a blue tooth techie and can't offer much in the way of help or guidance. I'm surprised more have not chimed in with trying to figure out this problem. Your solution, if it works, would be great. I'm sure many are also standing on the sidelines hoping for a Hail Mary pass to connect via bluetooth.

Old 12-24-2014, 10:32 AM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

The CoolStream folks sent me out a CoolStream Duo, which is their upgraded device (supports 2 phones, has an aux-out jack) that has different software. Didn't help. The device and my RBZ/430 radio still don't get along.

It really sucks that auto manufacturers abandon their electronics almost immediately after they sell the car. I'm sure there would be ways to update the firmware in the radio to allow better compatibility (it's likely not a hardware problem) but no such luck.

I guess I'll try another BlueTooth dock adapter from another company and see if that behaves any differently.

Rob

Old 01-01-2015, 08:13 PM
rdculus
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you updated the firmware on your mygig radio? I know there have been quite a few updates for them since 2010, maybe the update would work better with the bt adapter?
A little more expensive option would be upgrading to an RHR 730N radio that allows bt streaming and also has additional USB inputs.
That's what I'm looking at doing as my rer unit quit working this week in my 2010 sport.
...maybe you should upgrade to the newer rhr head unit and sell me your old rer radio cheap!

Old 01-01-2015, 11:32 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Some time ago I had done a little research and thought I found that my radio was at the highest MyGig patch level for a 2010. Can't remember exactly where I found that info online though, nor where to look for a definitive answer.

If I wanted to spend that much money I'd buy an aftermarket unit like the really great Kenwood ones. They have much better phone integration and lots of other good features as well as better audio quality. I looked into that earlier this year but decided that since all I really wanted was the ability to stream Pandora without cables it just wasn't worth a grand.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 01-02-2015, 05:00 AM
HillBillE
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My '09 radio is the basic one, no U-connect even.

Been looking at a way to have NAV, Blue Tooth and a back up cam.

I was quoted (rough estimate) between $500 and $1K installed for an aftermarket unit. (depends on which features I want on the radio)

I have a andriod style phone, but it seems a lot of aftermarket radios are set up for the iPhones.

Had a JVC unit installed in my '00 TJ that has BT, and it's really nice for the Pandora and phone calls. That one was $200 installed, including the jumper harness so the Jeeps factory radio plug stayed intact.

Old 01-03-2015, 06:54 PM
BigBlueEdge
Record Breaker

Well, so far the best I've been able to do is this:

Using the CoolStream Duo, which is the higher-end model that pairs with two source devices (phones) and has a 3.5mm aux-out jack, I was able to get most of what I wanted. I used the aux-out cable and plugged it into the radio, then connected the phone to the Duo via BT and stream audio that way. The Duo has a built-in rechargable battery to use in this mode. To keep it charged I plugged the Duo into the iPhone/iPod cable in the glove box. Seems the front panel aux-in jack overrides the iPod cable so this config allows both the error-less streaming and charges the Duo all the time.

The cable still runs from the front panel into the glove box but that's better than having to plug it into the phone each time I get in the truck. Sound quality is really good with this setup. I'm mostly happy.

Rob

Last edited by BigBlueEdge; 01-03-2015 at 06:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Ever tried Bluetooth receiver for iPod/iPhone input?