4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2013 ram 2wd leveling kit nightmare!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 07:36 PM
cgearin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 ram 2wd leveling kit nightmare!!!!!!

so i am new here to forums and still trying to figure out the site,but i came up to a big problem after i installed a 1.5 inch daystar coil spring spacer and procomp es9000 shocks which are a little longer. after completion of the install the ride was extremely rough and almost any bump i hit the front suspension would unload and knock. The upper control arms were hitting the spring tower. not to mention the 1.5 inch spacer lifted the truck 3 inches and i was sitting at 40.5 inches from ground to fenderwell. i have heard the longer shocks were the problem and heard shocks werent the problem. Can anybody tell me what they have done to correct the issue.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:40 PM
Largefarva
Professional

Take the shocks out and drive it, probably the shocks are way too long.

Old 03-16-2015, 11:11 PM
cgearin

thanks largefarva,but if the shocks are the problem what is the fix on the problem.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgearin
thanks largefarva,but if the shocks are the problem what is the fix on the problem.
Shorter shocks

Old 03-17-2015, 10:26 AM
cgearin

Ok well then my next question is how do you make the shorter shocks reach when the longer shocks almost didn't

Old 03-17-2015, 10:40 AM
oldjeep
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cgearin
Ok well then my next question is how do you make the shorter shocks reach when the longer shocks almost didn't

You need to take some pictures of what your problem is. If the shocks hardly reach extended then there is no way they are bottoming out. If it were me, I'd pull the "kit" off and if you insist on levelling it then buy some lowering springs for the rear.

Old 03-17-2015, 01:26 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Normally a 1.5" leveling kit would not require longer shocks. I had a 2" kit and used stock struts. Maybe different on the Ram, but it almost seems like stated above, your shocks are way too long or something is not installed correctly.

Old 03-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Largefarva
Professional

You can use your old shocks if the new ones are indeed to long. This would be quite easy to check thoug with the shocks in place, just lay under the truck and watch the shocks while someone bounces the front end, they should move up and down freely.
Are you sure the shocks are for your exact application?

Old 03-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Whiteout08
Professional

Originally Posted by Largefarva
Are you sure the shocks are for your exact application?
This is the most important question so far...did you buy the right parts? Also, are you sure they weren't installed upside down?

There is no way this should be an issue with a level kit...as many have stated, your shocks are too long for your truck. I have a 2.5" level up front and am still using the stock shocks, so I'd put your stock shocks back in and return the ProComp's.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:39 PM
cgearin

Thanks for all the replies guys. I to am thinking the shocks are to long. Mine truck is 2wd so I don't have the struts on my truck just independent front suspension with coils and shocks. The strut spacer doesn't affect the upper control arms on 4x4 due to the fact the uca goes around the strut. I know they are having ball joint issues dues to the angle. The coil spacers are correct but I think the shocks are not. My understanding is if you put a coil spacer on a independent front suspension it gives you less travel on the shock and possible chance of it coming apart on far wheel drops. Just was trying to keep the ride a little smooth don't mind it a little stiff. I heard people are using shock extenders or 2500 factory shocks with level kits to improve the ride? Is this true?

Quick Reply: 2013 ram 2wd leveling kit nightmare!!!!!!