4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld

Old 04-25-2015, 08:08 AM
RamRust
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld

I purchased my Ram 1500 on Jan 30th 2015. 2 weeks ago I noticed it had a rust spot and paint flaking on the passenger side pinch weld. The dealership (Fields Chrysler Sanford Fla.) and Chrysler corp. will not repair until it becomes "a rust hole" They claim it is from a rock chip. I found several other new trucks on the lot with the same issue. I have photos and video at www.ramtruckproblems.com
I would like other potential buyers and new owners to be aware of this manufacturing defect.

Attached Thumbnails 2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld-image.jpg   2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld-dscn1153.jpg   2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld-dscn1172.jpg  
Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 AM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

peal away the paint and do what ever you can to rust it out while under warranty. ..

my door seams on my 06 are rusted out..

Old 04-25-2015, 12:53 PM
RamRust

Originally Posted by cyclone429
peal away the paint and do what ever you can to rust it out while under warranty. ..

my door seams on my 06 are rusted out..
Sucks about your door seams. These Rams seem to rust in the worst spots.

Seems as if that's that's what are they are insinuating. I do not want to be malicious or vindictive, I just want the facts out there and would like them to do the right thing. (Do dealerships do that?)

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-26-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:54 PM
Largefarva
Professional

Maybe it's a problem with your specific dealership, I've seen trucks get rust bubbles covered before without a problem, bubbles, not holes, try a different dealer.

Old 04-26-2015, 01:12 PM
RamRust
Default YouTube Video

More videos will be posted of other New Ram trucks rusting.

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-15-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: remove link to another forum.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:30 AM
dwaldmann
Professional

Originally Posted by cyclone429
That seems risky and counter-productive. What if it doesn't rust through before the warranty is over, but does a year or two later? Now you have an expensive mess to deal with.

If you're going to put some kind of effort into it, why not try to stop the rust rather than encourage it? I'd rather have a vehicle that never rusted than one that got fixed, whether someone else paid for it or not.

Old 04-28-2015, 11:29 AM
biggcrisp
Rookie

Your truck looks great!

Dodge trucks are dipped in an epoxy primer vat before they are painted.

It looks like your almost microscopic "spot" could easily be touched-up.

The best part about your deal - is that it is way down below view.

Granted you shouldn't have to do anything, your truck will still look new after someone spends 30 seconds touching that up. Lol

Old 04-28-2015, 11:31 AM
RamRust

Originally Posted by dwaldmann
That seems risky and counter-productive. What if it doesn't rust through before the warranty is over, but does a year or two later? Now you have an expensive mess to deal with.

If you're going to put some kind of effort into it, why not try to stop the rust rather than encourage it? I'd rather have a vehicle that never rusted than one that got fixed, whether someone else paid for it or not.
My sole purpose of bring the rust on the pinch welds to light is not to have it repaired "for free". I am simply trying to make other owners and potential owners aware of this issue. This is not a isolated problem and I wish I would have known to look for this before I made the purchase, because I would rather not have a "brand new" repaired truck. I do not think this is a reason not to buy a Ram, rather a warning to check before you make a purchase or have it repaired before it becomes "a hole"

Last edited by jkeaton; 09-15-2015 at 03:46 PM. Reason: remove link to another forum.
Old 04-28-2015, 01:27 PM
Jeffs09
Amateur

I can't really see how that rust spot closer to the fender can be caused by a stone chip, just due to the way the plastic covers half of it. The chip further in the center of the rocker, that I can see being a chipped from a rock. For the tiny cost that the dealer/Chrysler would have in sanding, priming, and repainting a small area of the rocker, I can't believe they wouldn't just take care of this and be done. From what I've seen on this site this year, and with my own Ram, Chrysler has cut a lot of corners in the corrosion prevention department. I can't see how if that steel was galvanized it would rust so fast, even if it was chipped to bare metal. Unfortunately Ram has ruined their chances for this poster to purchase another Chrysler product. I'm curious if the "DodgeCares" rep will get involved in this one. It seems that they avoid the rust issue like the plague. To the owner of the truck-If the dealer won't do anything for you, spend a few bucks and have a professional shop sand that and refinish it. The repair really is no big deal. That rust is so light it can probably be removed with steel wool. Once painted, they can put on that thin clear stone chip film. Do not do anything to promote the corrosion further.

Old 04-28-2015, 08:24 PM
RamRust

Jeffs09
I agree with you. I am going to have it professionally repaired so I will never have to worry about it again. I have a photo album of other new trucks on there lot with the same issue. Check it out please. https://dodgeforum.com/g/album/3330915

Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2015 Ram rust & flaking paint on pinch weld