Go Back  DodgeForum.com > Dodge Trucks > Dodge Ram > 4th Gen Ram Tech
Reload this Page >

Yet another P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Problem, Ram 1500 Hemi

4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Yet another P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Problem, Ram 1500 Hemi

Old 11-11-2017, 10:00 AM
pmcs
Default Yet another P0305 Cylinder 5 Misfire Problem, Ram 1500 Hemi

Hi Folks,
Like many other, I have the cylinder 5 misfire problem. I have run out of ideas. Here is what I have done:
1. Replaced Cylinder 5 Spark plugs
2. Replaced Cylinder 5 Coil Pack
3. Swapped Cylinder 1 and 5 Coil packs
4. Swapped Cylinder 1 and 5 Fuel Injectors
5. Replaced Cylinder 5 spark plugs with premium type
6. Scoped both cylinder 5 spark plug holes for deformities or leaked oil from valve cover gasket (none found)
7. Did a compression check on Cylinder 5. It was around 200, which in my opinion is great.

This is on a 2012 Dodge Ram Laramie Longhorn with the 5.7 Hemi.

Anyone got any other ideas on what I can try next ?

Thank You,

Eric

Last edited by pmcs; 11-11-2017 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Left out diagnistic step
Old 11-11-2017, 07:07 PM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Put a noid light on the injector connector, and verify it is flashing reliably. Do the same for the coil connector...... see which one is erratic.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:47 PM
pmcs

Hi,
A noid light ? What is that ?

Also, he error code isn't a hard error. It takes several minutes of driving to appear.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 11-11-2017, 09:07 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

Sounds like a mechanical issue rather the the electrical stuff you've pretty much eliminated. Flat lobes or broken lifters will throw codes and you can still have good compression.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:22 AM
HeyYou
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by pmcs View Post
Hi,
A noid light ? What is that ?

Also, he error code isn't a hard error. It takes several minutes of driving to appear.

Thanks,
Eric
Diagnostic tool. Parts stores will know what you are asking for.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:42 AM
pmcs

Cam shaft and lifters is what I am afraid of. If I pull the valve cover, can I pull the push rods and lifters
and inspect the camshaft ?

Also, I'm pretty sure that there is a timing sensor that is the basis for the fault code, in that the computer
can sense the minor timing differences and determine what cylinder isn't firing. Where is that sensor located ?

Thank You,

Eric

Old 11-12-2017, 06:23 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker

I think the dealer can diagnose with the valve covers off. Unfortunately, to get to the lifters, the heads need to come off.

Old 11-13-2017, 07:15 AM
pmcs

Wow, you would think the lifters would lift out with a magnet....

One thing I haven't tested is for intake leaks. I'm going to try that and repost.

Thanks,
Eric

Old 11-14-2017, 05:38 PM
stlram
Rookie

Silly question but is the truck running bad? The reason I ask is because I had a similar issue P0303 code that would come and go for about a year. The truck ran fine but the stupid light kept coming on for a couple days then it would go off for a couple days. I did all the things you did plus had my cam, lifters, and sensor changed and I still got the light. I know this is going to sound stupid but I had a bad puddle light on my drivers side mirror (it would come on sometimes, others not) and I finally changed that light and I haven't got another check engine light (P0303 code) since. You might look around and see if you have any bad lights on your truck, I am certain that mine was an electrical problem. If your truck is running bad ignore everything I just said!

Old 11-14-2017, 09:34 PM
pmcs

It intermittently idles bad and sometimes when I punch it, I hear a backfire. So its intermittently running bad.
Because of the time change, I don't have enough daylight when I get out of work to troubleshoot.

This weekend I'm going to check for intake leaks and then if that doesn't pan out, I'm going to pull the
valve cover and see what is going on.

Thanks,

Eric

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: