4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 06:31 PM
Damstr8
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Alright, so they are already trying better fasteners...... and: built thru aug 09..... so, what changed with the later models, that solved the issue? Or, was it actually solved?
I have a 2011 Ram 2500 with 168k on her and have replaced the passenger side twice now and the driver side only one. Yet the first time I did both at the same time with new bolts but the driver side was fine. I am getting ready to the passenger side for a 3 time. Lucky you can always put a nut over the broken bolt and mig up the center and wrench out the broken bolts.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:42 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

So, wasn't solved....

Anyone out there with shorty headers? Still have the problem?

The following users liked this post:
DamnDodge2016 (08-31-2019)
Old 11-30-2017, 07:13 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Dodge really Cares, where are they. Why isn't Dodge taking ownership of their design flaw? Instead Dodge Cares about keeping this quiet. In order to discuss the problem, Dodge wants it done in Private Message. Why??? WE ALL KNOW THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE MANIFOLD BOLTS, WHY ISN'T DODGE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT???? Again, this is no different than how Dodge screwed us with the 360 5.9L with intake plenum problems.

Dodge Cares, has the problem been fixed in the newer trucks or is the problem still happening? IF I WERE TO BUY A 2018 DODGE RAM, WILL THE MANIFOLD BOLTS BREAK OR HAS THERE BEEN A FIX? I'm thinking about buying a new truck but if Dodge is still having the problem, it may be time to move on. My first of seven Dodge vehicles was a brand new 1970 Dodge Challenger. This 2010 Dodge Ram Laramie with the broken manifold bolts Hemi engine, may be my last.

Does Dodge Care? No, they would just like me to stop talking about it. Truthfully, this forum is only a drop in the bucket of Dodge customers. They will try to quiet up any negative publicity but for the most part, Dodge just doesn't Care.

The following users liked this post:
Bunkram2500 (12-29-2022)
Old 11-30-2017, 11:55 AM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default no - dodge does not care

We are deviating from the subject but I will add my 2 cents. The dodge care reps in here are reading from a script. First say they are sorry, then they offer to help you go to the dealer so that they can rape you for the repair. The reps lately seem to be young ladies without a clue as to how our trucks are made or work. Maybe they are in a sweat shop in India or the Philippines making 50 cents an hour.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:21 PM
Damstr8

As I mentioned before I have 168k on my 2011 2500. I have had the bolts replaced under warranty but when the warranty was out is was left up to me. I got the Dorman bolts and they broke, and I will be putting the Dorman bolts back in. I don't want to put some other kind of bolt in cause then what if a crack the manifold. And why would I got to a shorty header if the bolts are going to break again. It's just something I have to do as maintenance at this point, but it's not like a tranny I have taken care of. One that I don't beat on but yet still the 4th and 5th clutches burn out. Yes i know didn't topic but come on. I'm not WOT this thing. I change mine at 30k and always have. My first change I put on the Mag-Hytec pan.

Old 11-30-2017, 06:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Damstr8
As I mentioned before I have 168k on my 2011 2500. I have had the bolts replaced under warranty but when the warranty was out is was left up to me. I got the Dorman bolts and they broke, and I will be putting the Dorman bolts back in. I don't want to put some other kind of bolt in cause then what if a crack the manifold. And why would I got to a shorty header if the bolts are going to break again. It's just something I have to do as maintenance at this point, but it's not like a tranny I have taken care of. One that I don't beat on but yet still the 4th and 5th clutches burn out. Yes i know didn't topic but come on. I'm not WOT this thing. I change mine at 30k and always have. My first change I put on the Mag-Hytec pan.
Well, that's the question.... WILL the bolts break with shorty headers as well? Exhaust gases are routed differently, so the area in question shouldn't get quite so hot......

Old 12-01-2017, 01:33 PM
Damstr8

I broke down and bought some ARP bolts last night. I will see how they fair this time. I might even go as far as get some shorties and see how long they last.

Old 12-02-2017, 10:51 AM
Crabman
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still waiting for an answer Dodge Cares. If you really cared, you would respond to questions. Why are the manifold bolts breaking. Are the new trucks experiencing the same problem or has there been a fix. When looking at a new truck I didn't see the lifetime warranty. Is the lifetime warranty still available or did it cost Dodge too much money having to repair manifold bolts so now it's up to the owner to pay for the repair?

How about it Dodge Cares, what's going on and why the silence?

Old 12-02-2017, 11:10 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Crabman
Still waiting for an answer Dodge Cares. If you really cared, you would respond to questions. Why are the manifold bolts breaking. Are the new trucks experiencing the same problem or has there been a fix. When looking at a new truck I didn't see the lifetime warranty. Is the lifetime warranty still available or did it cost Dodge too much money having to repair manifold bolts so now it's up to the owner to pay for the repair?

How about it Dodge Cares, what's going on and why the silence?
Back in the early 90's, GM offered an extended warranty of six years, unlimited miles....... A gentleman that did a lot of travel for his work, bought an Astro van, and the unlimited mileage Warranty. He drove about 250,000 miles per year.... So, five engines, seven transmissions, four rear differentials, two front differentials, and NUMEROUS other repairs over the almost 1 million miles he put on the van..... that warranty option mysteriously disappeared.

I have seen reports of broken manifold bolts on fourth gen trucks. Not nearly as many as the third gen, so, it appears that the problem still exists, though maybe not quite as prevalent?

Old 12-02-2017, 02:00 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

at this point i see it more on 4th gens...

the pattern failures are different from 3rd to 4th gens.....when a 3rd gen breaks more often then not the break is above the head surface...on 4th gens they break flush with the head. this points to a different root cause of the failure.

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?