4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2018, 10:33 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Crabman
Well, it's been almost four months and Dodge (I don't really) Care, hasn't said a word about why the manifold bolts keep breaking in the Dodge Hemi engine. Seems she is a worthless mouthpiece for Dodge. Back in the 90's we were screwed by Dodge with plenum problems in the 5.9L Magnum and it seems, since that worked, they will screw us again with the Dodge Hemi engine. Nothing will be fixed as long as we keep buying Dodge Ram trucks.
Per forum rule #2, please refrain from insulting and attacking other members of the forum. You have made it perfectly clear your displeasure with both the manifold bolts and Dodge cares not living up to your expectations. Further insults will result in your posting privileges being suspended.

2. While debating and discussion is fine, respect your fellow enthusiasts. Being of a diverse background, members are likely to express different opinions, and while opinions may differ from yours, they are just that, opinions; and everyone is entitled to express theirs freely. We will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, or personal attacks. Do not flame, bother, bug, disrespect, hound or taunt ANYONE on the forums or through private messaging or chat room. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close or delete it. You can/will lose your posting privileges if you continue this type of behavior.

Old 02-02-2019, 04:47 PM
Hamrick1024
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 3 ram trucks with the hemi. A 2009 a 2014 and now a 2017. All three were purchased new and all had the exhaust bolt problem. The first 2 had numerous bolts to break and I replaced some out of warranty. My 2017 has 60K miles and I just started hearing the cold startup tick of another broken bolt. I would of thought by now the problem would of been fixed. I can’t begin to think of the warranty cost in replacing the bolts. Curious to hear what my local dealer says when I take it in to have it worked on. Going to ask a lot of questions about this problem.

Old 02-04-2019, 02:10 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Hamrick1024
I have had 3 ram trucks with the hemi. A 2009 a 2014 and now a 2017. All three were purchased new and all had the exhaust bolt problem. The first 2 had numerous bolts to break and I replaced some out of warranty. My 2017 has 60K miles and I just started hearing the cold startup tick of another broken bolt. I would of thought by now the problem would of been fixed. I can’t begin to think of the warranty cost in replacing the bolts. Curious to hear what my local dealer says when I take it in to have it worked on. Going to ask a lot of questions about this problem.
The problem can be fixed with headers. 99% of the people who put headers on never had another bolt break.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:09 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
The problem can be fixed with headers. 99% of the people who put headers on never had another bolt break.
not to be argumentative, but how do you know? If it's just based on your experience with your trucks then it's just a very small sample. Headers by themselves don't do much if anything with this engine unless you have someone custom tune to your cam and accommodate the short/long runner design. I have seen plenty of screwed up power bands with people just putting headers on a engine.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

Originally Posted by Pedro Dog
not to be argumentative, but how do you know? If it's just based on your experience with your trucks then it's just a very small sample. Headers by themselves don't do much if anything with this engine unless you have someone custom tune to your cam and accommodate the short/long runner design. I have seen plenty of screwed up power bands with people just putting headers on a engine.
The stock manifolds are a **** poor design. All the heat gets concentrated the further back you go. Please note, the bolts that break most often are the ones in the back..... Been seeing these threads for quite a while here, and everyone that changes to some variety of header, be they shorties, longtubes, or whatever, no longer have bolts breaking.

The following users liked this post:
Mike Holmen (12-09-2020)
Old 02-04-2019, 09:21 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by HeyYou
The stock manifolds are a **** poor design. All the heat gets concentrated the further back you go. Please note, the bolts that break most often are the ones in the back..... Been seeing these threads for quite a while here, and everyone that changes to some variety of header, be they shorties, longtubes, or whatever, no longer have bolts breaking.
You beat me to it, and you said a swear word I'm telling the moderators

Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 PM
Pedro Dog
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

it's just that a lot of folks swear by better bolts (studs), no need for headers. If you are modded and run headers, that's a bonus on the warping less headers.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:34 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

it's just that a lot of folks swear by better bolts (studs), no need for headers. If you are modded and run headers, that's a bonus on the warping less headers.
The better bolts are a 50/50 chance of them working. It's the fact of they get so hot that they weaken.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:48 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

I see more folks that end up doing the job two or three times, before finally getting tired of it.....

Old 02-05-2019, 10:26 AM
Mike Sal
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding getting any response from "dodge cares"....we got the same support when asking about the lifter & cam failures.....zero.....

Maybe since they took the "dodge" name away from ram, dodge really doesn't care anymore......
Mike Sal

Quick Reply: Dodge Cares, Why are the manifold bolts breaking?