4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Puddle lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 08:03 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
For my 01 Ram yes
With the schematic it would be possible to come up with a logic circuit then that would monitor probably 3 signals: Run, Unlock, and Door pin. The circuit would apply logic to only trigger the puddle lamps when the ignition is NOT in Run (!Run) but either Unlock OR Door.

-Rod

Old 02-23-2018, 12:40 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
With the schematic it would be possible to come up with a logic circuit then that would monitor probably 3 signals: Run, Unlock, and Door pin. The circuit would apply logic to only trigger the puddle lamps when the ignition is NOT in Run (!Run) but either Unlock OR Door.

-Rod
see I thought about that too. Problem is our door open sensors aren't like the 3rd gens and up. The just ground ito the circuit for the dome lights. I can post them or send them to you if you'd like

Old 02-23-2018, 07:51 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
see I thought about that too. Problem is our door open sensors aren't like the 3rd gens and up. The just ground ito the circuit for the dome lights. I can post them or send them to you if you'd like
So you might need to add a diode and a pull up resistor so that turning on the dome lights manually with the headlight switch won't ground out the signal to the logic circuit from the door pin switch.

-Rod

Old 02-23-2018, 10:19 AM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That's going to be a tough one.

Yes it is. You would have to install a separate powered relay circuit inline with the door ajar switch.....on each door lol

Then you still run the risk of screwing with your BCM/CTM because the ajar switch is an input.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:48 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

So you might need to add a diode and a pull up resistor so that turning on the dome lights manually with the headlight switch won't ground out the signal to the logic circuit from the door pin switch.

-Rod
Thinking about this again, the diode wouldn't be required if you also tied in to the ignition signal. If your keyless entry system turns on the interior lights with Unlock then really you'd just need a NAND circuit (or Arduino) to only trigger the puddle lights when the interior lights have power and the key is not in the Run position. That would catch both scenarios - door is open or unlock was pressed, but only if the key is not on (such as when turning on the dome lights when the truck is running).

You mention you want them to function like the Ram they came off of. I do know on my 2014 that the puddle lights illuminate when I unlock the truck with the keyless fob, not just when the door is open (to serve as approach lights too). Using the illuminated entry feature of the remote keyless would be more aligned with how the newer Ram puddle lights work.

-Rod

Last edited by SHO Rod; 02-24-2018 at 09:52 AM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:52 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Thinking about this again, the diode wouldn't be required if you also tied in to the ignition signal. If your keyless entry system turns on the interior lights with Unlock then really you'd just need a NAND circuit (or Arduino) to only trigger the puddle lights when the interior lights have power and the key is not in the Run position. That would catch both scenarios - door is open or unlock was pressed, but only if the key is not on (such as when turning on the dome lights when the truck is running).

You mention you want them to function like the Ram they came off of. I do know on my 2014 that the puddle lights illuminate when I unlock the truck with the keyless fob, not just when the door is open (to serve as approach lights too). Using the illuminated entry feature of the remote keyless would be more aligned with how the newer Ram puddle lights work.

-Rod
You really lost me there lol could you draw a circuit out for me?

Old 02-28-2018, 02:55 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

Originally Posted by TNtech
Yes it is. You would have to install a separate powered relay circuit inline with the door ajar switch.....on each door lol

Then you still run the risk of screwing with your BCM/CTM because the ajar switch is an input.
Could you draw a diagram up for me?

Old 02-28-2018, 08:12 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

I'm not sure what level of diagram you're wanting. Do you just need a conceptual block diagram (2 input NAND gate with 1 input being the signal from dome lights and the 2nd input being a signal that is hot with the key in the Run position), a diagram for an Arduino application, or a discrete logic diagram that could be built and installed?

-Rod

Old 02-28-2018, 09:24 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

I'm not sure what level of diagram you're wanting. Do you just need a conceptual block diagram (2 input NAND gate with 1 input being the signal from dome lights and the 2nd input being a signal that is hot with the key in the Run position), a diagram for an Arduino application, or a discrete logic diagram that could be built and installed?

-Rod
I'm not sure he knows.....even I don't know....seems like way more effort than the resulting outcome....IMO

Old 02-28-2018, 02:05 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

-Rod
I'm going to withdraw the NAND solution since that would activate the puddle lamps if the key is in the Run position and the interior lights are not on as well. I guess it's either an Arduino or discrete logic option.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Puddle lights