4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Puddle lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:18 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Keep it simple and wire to the courtesy light circuit.

I mean...how many times do you force your dome lights on anyway. And when you do, is it so bad that your puddle lights come on?

Old 03-06-2018, 12:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
Keep it simple and wire to the courtesy light circuit.

I mean...how many times do you force your dome lights on anyway. And when you do, is it so bad that your puddle lights come on?
No it wouldn't be so bad just like things to work like factory lol

Old 03-06-2018, 12:47 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
I'm going to withdraw the NAND solution since that would activate the puddle lamps if the key is in the Run position and the interior lights are not on as well. I guess it's either an Arduino or discrete logic option.

-Rod
I'll look up more information on them and try to create one. I always like learning new things. Thanks for your help Rod!

Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
No it wouldn't be so bad just like things to work like factory lol

could also use a NC relay that opens when you turn the key on, this would however stop them from coming on at all when the key is on., then just wire it to the dome light . . .

Old 03-06-2018, 08:02 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'll look up more information on them and try to create one. I always like learning new things. Thanks for your help Rod!
I played around with the Arduino implementation last night while my son was in his music lessons. I even implemented the fast fade on and slow fade out like the way my 2014 controls the puddle lights. It would still require some additional circuitry (zener diodes) to drop the signal voltages in from 12V to around 4V and a MOSFET on the output to control the high brightness 12V puddle lamps in two mirrors, but worked surprisingly well.

I'm not a software engineer so I'm sure my code is not the most efficient, but if you decide to play around with Arduino and want a copy of my code as a starting point, send me a Private Message.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Puddle lights