4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wiring for console power - access?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:12 PM
magnethead
Legend
Received 153 Likes on 140 Posts
Default wiring for console power - access?

I would like to tap into the 20A wiring for the center console to power my HAM radio - putting the body under the driver seat. Is there an easy way to grab into this circuit without taking the console apart? I would like to access the wiring for the constant source that goes into the top compartment of the armrest.

Thanks
Steve

Old 06-13-2018, 07:44 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Since you plan to put the radio body under the driver's seat, have you considered just running a new fused power wire down the driver's side kick panel? I suspect pulling that trim and finding an existing rubber boot through the firewall and out to the battery would be easier than getting in to the center console. Plus, that way it will be on a dedicated fuse so you won't have to worry about other accessories drawing power from the same circuit or about what other functions will stop working if the fuse blows. Pretty much all the trim just snaps on and off versus having several screws for the center console. Well, this is assuming your 2011 Ram is similar to my 2014.

-Rod

Old 06-13-2018, 07:35 PM
magnethead
Legend

Rod, I would like to do that, but I'm not entirely sold on the availablility of a grommet to pass a wire through - most connections these days are through bulkheads and triple layer plugs. On my hyundai I had to use the boot for the steering column because I simply couldn't get through anywhere else.

Old 06-14-2018, 05:31 PM
magnethead
Legend

Looked under the seat, and there is a harness of 4 wires coming out of the carpet to a connector on bottom of driver seat, then goes into the console.

Pin 1: Black with white tracer
Pin 8: Red with green tracer
Pin 10: Light Blue with pink tracer
Pin 13: Dark Blue with pink tracer

I haven't checked it with a meter yet, but I am assuming that Red with Green tracer is constant battery power.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:36 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

According to the wiring diagram I found for the 2011, pin 8 is constant power, fused by 20A fuse M36, for the console power outlet. Pin 10 is Hot in Run/Accessory and is fused by 20A fuse M07 for the Power Outlet-Center Seat or Power Outlet-Rear Console (if you have a rear console). Pin 13 is Ignition/Run/Accessory and is fused by 20A fuse M06 for the console cigar lighter. All these fuses are in the TIPM. Pin 1 is Ground.

That harness was a good find for what you are looking to do!

-Rod

Old 06-14-2018, 07:53 PM
magnethead
Legend

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
According to the wiring diagram I found for the 2011, pin 8 is constant power, fused by 20A fuse M36, for the console power outlet. Pin 10 is Hot in Run/Accessory and is fused by 20A fuse M07 for the Power Outlet-Center Seat or Power Outlet-Rear Console (if you have a rear console). Pin 13 is Ignition/Run/Accessory and is fused by 20A fuse M06 for the console cigar lighter. All these fuses are in the TIPM. Pin 1 is Ground.

That harness was a good find for what you are looking to do!

-Rod
Where did you find this? Is there an FSM download?

Thank you for the confirmation! Now to safely/elegantly tap off of this harness in it's near-impossible location. Thinking if my pin extractor will fit, I can just unplug the connector, strip back a section of insulation, do a center tap, solder it, and heat shrink it... might be able to reach if I slide the seat all the way back.

Old 06-14-2018, 10:56 PM
magnethead
Legend

There is also a heavy ground at pin 7, the ground at pin 8 is much smaller.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:50 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

Originally Posted by magnethead
Where did you find this? Is there an FSM download?
I'm not aware of an FSM download, but there is a website here that offers free wiring diagrams for quite a few different models as well as free TSBs. For wiring diagrams be sure to select "Wiring Diagrams" before entering the vehicle information, otherwise you'll get to start over.

-Rod

Old 06-15-2018, 12:29 PM
magnethead
Legend

interesting! thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: wiring for console power - access?