4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Problem ( Fuel pump keeps running with the key out )

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2018, 11:16 AM
ZEN357
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Replace the relay that controls the fuel pump.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:10 PM
jeffm813
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It seems that the fuel relay is on the circuit board from what I can tell. I can not find it where the relays and fuses are in the TIPM

Old 07-11-2018, 06:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Yep, buried deep in the TIPM. That was certainly a great idea........

How are your soldering skills?

Old 07-23-2018, 05:21 PM
Robert Jones 1968

I did my mod last week works great! did you look at the link i posted? instructions are fairly clear. One correction.. on my 2011 ram the pink with green wire in figure 17 is just pink . no green stripe/tracer.
I included generic relay pinout numbers on the side of the pics for clarity

Last edited by Robert Jones 1968; 07-23-2018 at 05:26 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 06:55 PM
Mud4Monster

I ran across this You Tube video while looking for and answer. The tech has excellent detail on how to install a work around for this issue.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:16 PM
jeffm813
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mud4Monster
I ran across this You Tube video while looking for and answer. The tech has excellent detail on how to install a work around for this issue.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbOae77t-wU&t=1123s
Thanks for the reply, I actually used another work around, using a jumper wire.
https://www.verticalvisions.com/prod...ss-cables.html

Last edited by jeffm813; 07-02-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:55 PM
Mud4Monster

Originally Posted by jeffm813
Thanks for the reply, I actually used another work around, using a jumper wire.
https://www.verticalvisions.com/prod...ss-cables.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcV5oAF1hM0
While the work around you used will get your truck running it does have a major drawback. The fuel fuel pump runs constantly when the key is in the on position. Using the remotely mount relay allows the computer to control the fuel pump. Which is the reason I went with the remote relay work around. There is a draw back with remote relay is that you can't purchase the part number shown in the video. I had to assemble the parts individually, but it works great.

As an additional step I also logged a complaint with the NHTSA. I read hundreds of owners where they were having the same issues. But when I checked to see if a complaint was logged I didn't see any. I would encourage everyone who has this issues to log a complaint as well. This should get the NHTSA to at least open a case and review the issue. With any luck they'll require the manufacture to issue a recall and we can get them to fix all of our trucks.

Old 09-26-2019, 11:58 PM
Bigmama23

While the work around you used will get your truck running it does have a major drawback. The fuel fuel pump runs constantly when the key is in the on position. Using the remotely mount relay allows the computer to control the fuel pump. Which is the reason I went with the remote relay work around. There is a draw back with remote relay is that you can't purchase the part number shown in the video. I had to assemble the parts individually, but it works great.

As an additional step I also logged a complaint with the NHTSA. I read hundreds of owners where they were having the same issues. But when I checked to see if a complaint was logged I didn't see any. I would encourage everyone who has this issues to log a complaint as well. This should get the NHTSA to at least open a case and review the issue. With any luck they'll require the manufacture to issue a recall and we can get them to fix all of our trucks.
I have a 2012 Dodge Grand Caravan with the same problem. You are absolutely right about other vehicles with the same tipm not being apart of the recall. Dodge doesnt want to acknowledge it because the cost would be too great. Have another look at the Vertical Visions website. It explains the problem and a new permanent solution. I used it and it has been great! No more problems!

Old 09-27-2019, 04:54 PM
Mud4Monster
Default TIPM Work Around

Yes this is another work around. During my initial research this is one of the sites that provided information I used to choose which work around to use. The Vertical Visions solution does provide more control of the fuel pump in the traditional sense, were the circuit board receives an engine running input. It was the only one that I considered to be a viable work around. Looking at the wiring diagram on their web site for the system with testing capabilities, it doesn't appear to isolate the stock relay. The main reason I used the remote relay was to have it controlled by the vehicle PCM, this seemed like the best choice. Using the remote relay setup allows for easy access to the relay if it were to fail and the cost of a replacement relay is about the cost of a six pack.

The Vertical Visions does provide a nice testing system for fuel pump with a disabling function, possibly to use as a security system. Installation is extremely quick and provides circuit protection. It is a much better choice then the bypass wire setup, which I found chilling.

Old 01-10-2020, 06:01 PM
Omar Brown
Default Fuel pump relay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbOae77t-wU&t=1123s
I watched the video you had, I just have one question 08 grand caravan same Tipm setup, but mine is burning Pin 34 in C1. Replaced TIPM with used, and re pinned a used connector, had the vehicle running for 5min then stalled and smoke from C1 burnt pin34 again. Pin 34 is Grnd to the battery, ( I opened the harness and found that out) would installing this relay fix this

Quick Reply: New Problem ( Fuel pump keeps running with the key out )