4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Power Towing Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:46 AM
rowgdowg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Towing Mirrors

I have a 2010 3500 Ram with power towing mirrors. The mirror on the passenger side will not adjust any longer from the driver control. The Driver side mirrors works just fine. I was told by the dealer that you cant just replace one if one goes out. They both have to be replaced. Does anyone know if this is true? They were going to charge me $1100. I found mirrors online at $400ish. In looking online, it appears fairly simple to replace. Thoughts?

Old 07-23-2018, 01:30 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

What the dealer probably meant is you cannot purchase only one mirror from them, maybe they only sell them in pairs. But it would be very unlikely that all the motors for movement failed at the same time. Before spending even $400 I'd make sure power is getting to the mirror. If the 2010 is similar to the 2014, you can unsnap the little triangular plastic trim inside the door to gain enough access to the wiring to be able to check for power. Are there any other mirror features that work or don't work on the passenger side such as puddle lamps, integrated turn signals, or heat?

-Rod

Old 08-01-2018, 09:58 AM
rowgdowg

Thanks Rod. Both upper mirrors and the turn signals etc. work. However the lower mirror on both do not work. I don't believe it has heat. I live in the south where heated mirrors are not needed. Not sure to tell how though.

Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

I'm not sure I understand the issue. In your latest post you state both upper mirrors work but neither lower mirror works. So the driver and passenger mirrors work the same as each other? I'm not sure how similar the towing mirrors on your 2010 are to the towing mirrors on my 2014, but on mine only the "flat" mirror is power, the convex blind spot mirror is manually adjusted. From your most recent post it sounds like that's how your mirrors are currently working as well.

-Rod

Old 08-01-2018, 07:46 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've never seen or heard of a power blind spot towing mirror on a 4th gen.All the ones I've seen were manipulated manually too.

Old 08-10-2018, 09:06 AM
rowgdowg

Thanks guys. You are correct. The bottom mirror is operated manually. My wife drives this truck so I assumed incorrectly. Essentially the drivers side mirror works. It is the passenger side mirror that will not move unless manually. Occasionally it will work but most often not.

Old 08-10-2018, 01:54 PM
SHO Rod
All Star

Since the passenger mirror seems to be intermittent, I'd still recommend confirming whether or not you have power to it at one of the times it is failing to work. If you don't have power to the mirror, changing the mirror out will not fix the issue. The issue might be in the accordion loom between the cab and door that flexes wires every time the door is opened or closed. It's more typical to have broken wires on the driver's side since it almost always experiences more use than the passenger door so start with the driver's side if the passenger mirror is not getting power.

If you determine the passenger mirror does have power even when it fails to adjust, my recommendation would be to replace it with one of the OEM-style aftermarket mirrors. They are pretty easy to replace and even if the mirror only lasts half as long as an OEM mirror, financially you'll come out ahead.

-Rod

Old 09-19-2018, 05:20 PM
Dustinmc15
Rookie

You're dealer is giving you bad info, the mirrors can be replaced individually, I have done it. Regarding your intermittently working passenger mirror, try rotating the mirror up to the "tow" position and then back down firmly. I was having the same issue and just by doing that it started working again. There must be some kind of switch in the mirror that can tell when it's in the tow position or not so that the controls can be operated accordingly, I'm thinking this switch gets stuck sometimes and just moving mirror up and down seems to fix it for me.

Quick Reply: Power Towing Mirrors