4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:00 AM
Prairie Dog 51
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fog lights

My ‘11 SLT does not have fog lights. Does anyone know if the wiring should be in place? Also, would they need to be flashed to the computer to work at all or just to enable the auto dim for the brights?

Old 08-17-2018, 02:56 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

The factory install would have a separate switch for the fog lights. They are not necessarily always on with the low beams. Do you plan to install a separate switch for the aftermarket fog lights or just have them hard wired to be on with the low beam headlights?

I'm not sure if the factory pigtails will already be installed near the factory mounting location, but the relay and fog light switch would not be there already so it's not going to be a simple plug and play even if you were to re-flash the PCM/BCM. Unless you really hate wiring or strongly want the factory look, my suggestion is to run new wiring to the added fog lights using a relay that is controlled with or without a switch that only gets power when the low beam headlights are on.

-Rod

Old 08-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Prairie Dog 51
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had hoped that if the wiring was in place that I could replace the light control panel with one that has the switch for the fog lights. On the 11s I know that you push in on the light switch to turn on the fog lights. The panels look almost identical. I don’t know if the wiring is already in the harness that goes to the light switch.

Old 08-18-2018, 09:41 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

According to the wiring diagram, the headlight/fog light signal from the headlamp switch is a multiplexed signal that goes to the instrument cluster. It appears the instrument cluster probably tells the TIPM module which relays to toggle via maybe the CAN bus. It doesn't appear to be just simple discrete wires. So I think you're original premise is correct, you would need to get the instrument cluster and probably the TIPM reprogrammed if you were to add fog lights and wanted to use the OEM-style fog light switch.

I'm really not a fan of the rather cryptic wiring diagrams from Chrysler as of the past several years. That's one thing I miss from my years of owning Ford products.

-Rod

Old 08-18-2018, 09:49 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
According to the wiring diagram, the headlight/fog light signal from the headlamp switch is a multiplexed signal that goes to the instrument cluster. It appears the instrument cluster probably tells the TIPM module which relays to toggle via maybe the CAN bus. It doesn't appear to be just simple discrete wires. So I think you're original premise is correct, you would need to get the instrument cluster and probably the TIPM reprogrammed if you were to add fog lights and wanted to use the OEM-style fog light switch.

I'm really not a fan of the rather cryptic wiring diagrams from Chrysler as of the past several years. That's one thing I miss from my years of owning Ford products.

-Rod
For me, it's more a factor over over-complicating things, unnecessarily..... I mean, seriously, why do your fog lights need to be computer controlled? Same goes for the friggin' windows.......

Quick Reply: Fog lights