4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heated Mirrors and Defog Switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019 | 01:48 PM
ClassicGuy80
|
Default Heated Mirrors and Defog Switch

I'm shopping a 2019 Ram Classic Big Horn with the 8.4" touch screen. It has heated mirrors but no rear defog. I'm trying to figure out how to turn on the heated mirrors. I thought it is usually controlled by the rear defog. When I looked at the truck yesterday I hit the rear defog button on the dash (it was grayed out on the touchscreen) and the orange light came on, then it started blinking a few seconds, then turned off. Is it normal for the light to blink then turn off?

Old 10-23-2019 | 08:05 PM
TrueDogman
Captain

Just tried the wifes new durango. It does the same. I believe its probably controlled by ambient temp sensor..if its not cold enough mirrors or rear defrost wont operate?

Old 10-24-2019 | 12:16 AM
SHO Rod
All Star

ClassicGuy, did you happen to check the owner's manual for a description of the heated mirror operation? I'm not trying to be a smartarse here since I'm not sure whether or not the scenario you describe is in there, just asking if you checked.

-Rod

Old 10-24-2019 | 06:20 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

im not sure on the new ones, but the heated mirrors in my 17 are controlled by the rear defroster switch (no rear defroster in my truck). and the light stays on solid while they are turned on. the manual for mine says you get 10 mintues first round, 5 minutes second, doesnt say what happens beyond that. . . . and no mention of ambient temperature dependency.

now the flashing was a diagnostic option in my 2002 durango for the heated seats, the flashes of the light when the system didnt function were a diagnostic code, iirc quick flashes were an open in the circuit (or a broken wire/heating element) and slow flashes were a short. The flashes could be something similar, but if its a 19 i would ask the dealer whats going on, should still be under warranty even if its a used model.

Old 10-24-2019 | 01:53 PM
ClassicGuy80
|

Rod - no offense taken - I didn't check the manual because I was checking out a used truck.....had about 50 other things to check out so I didn't look into the heated mirrors too much! Maybe I can find the owners manual online. If there's a link to one on the forum here pls let me know.

shrpshtr - I'm assuming the '17 and '19 classic are the same or similar setup. Thanks for the feedback - makes me suspicious that it didn't stay on.

Also, the TIRES on this truck are new. Truck only has 14K miles (former rental) and it has brand new Delinte tires on it. Makes me wonder why they replaced the tires so early. I've heard the Goodyears wear out fast, but I've seen other '19 Ram's with 16K or 17K miles and the tires have a lot of meat left on them. Any thoughts????? Thanks.

Old 10-24-2019 | 06:29 PM
TrueDogman
Captain

So I dont drive the wifes 18 Durango but this thread got me curious. She has the 8.4. Menu says heated mirrors come on with rear defrost..which she has. I pushed heated rear defrost button...light flashed a couple times and went off. This was in accessory mode with engine not running. sorry didnt try with engine running...just for what its worth...

Old 10-24-2019 | 08:37 PM
ClassicGuy80
|

Thanks Truedogman. I'm not sure if I had the engine running or if it was in accessory mode (I was playing around with the remote start and don't remember where I left the ignition). I'll have to go back and give it another shot.

Rod - I just checked an online owner's manual and it says to push the rear defrost button and the heated mirrors (if equipped) will come on with it.

Old 10-25-2019 | 06:10 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD

Originally Posted by ClassicGuy80
Rod - no offense taken - I didn't check the manual because I was checking out a used truck.....had about 50 other things to check out so I didn't look into the heated mirrors too much! Maybe I can find the owners manual online. If there's a link to one on the forum here pls let me know.

shrpshtr - I'm assuming the '17 and '19 classic are the same or similar setup. Thanks for the feedback - makes me suspicious that it didn't stay on.

Also, the TIRES on this truck are new. Truck only has 14K miles (former rental) and it has brand new Delinte tires on it. Makes me wonder why they replaced the tires so early. I've heard the Goodyears wear out fast, but I've seen other '19 Ram's with 16K or 17K miles and the tires have a lot of meat left on them. Any thoughts????? Thanks.

in what world do the factory goodyears wear out fast? i have 73k miles on the stock goodyear SRAs on my 17, still have good tread(5/32 or so) on them for most things, but with winter coming ill be replacing them soon for peace of mind in the snow we get around here.

Old 11-02-2019 | 08:48 PM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by shrpshtr325
in what world do the factory goodyears wear out fast? i have 73k miles on the stock goodyear SRAs on my 17, still have good tread(5/32 or so) on them for most things, but with winter coming ill be replacing them soon for peace of mind in the snow we get around here.
My factory tires on my 2015 lasted 4 summers (Im in Canada so I switch to winter tires around Nov/Dec until Mar/April)
Truck only had 75k km in total.

My 2015 didn't have rear window defrost but still had the rear window defrost button as it also controlled the heated mirrors. Same with my 2015 Work truck.

Last edited by Reject; 11-02-2019 at 08:50 PM.
Old 04-27-2021 | 10:06 AM
Erik Hammock

The light comes on when the vehicle is running self checks. The problem comes into play when it doesn't stop flashing.I have a 2014 Ram 3500 Limited and I had this happen at the same time my brothers '16 Charger had the same problem. Seems like a Mopar thing.

In my truck the mirror defrost button (i mistakenly thought this was my rear defrost button which my truck doesn't have) started blinking and didn't stop. While this was happening I couldn't change anything on my HVAC except fan speed. I couldn't even turn it off.

I took the truck to the dealership & the only remedy they could offer was flashing the ECM. I agreed & $115 dollars later it was still blinking. They then suggested that they could pull the whole dash & check the blend & recirc doors. I declined.

I pulled fuses, unhooked the battery - no fix. Same for my brother & his Challenger.

I finally changed the HVAC Control Module. OEM was $100 & the only tool required was a phillips screwdriver. The process took 10 minutes start to finish. I started the truck and the light started blinking but I held my breath. After the truck went through all its self checks, the light went off & all my controls worked. J did the same on his Challenger and his went back to normal as well. The light is the computer's way of telling you that self diagnosis has failed.

Apparently the module's memory can fill up and cause it to fail. Sometimes pulling the battery will cause the same thing.

Quick Reply: Heated Mirrors and Defog Switch