4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New member intro and issue 😁😪😁

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2021 | 08:28 PM
KennethG
|
Default New member intro and issue 😁😪😁

Hello everybody, I currently don't have a dodge pick up but plan on getting a 2500... hopefully soon, wife and all lol

My son owns a 2013 1500 5.7(I think) hemi.

Naturally he loves his truck

Issue: truck will not start, when you turn the key phob (new battery) it just clicks. I've checked the starter, actually replaced it just because I'm at a loss and was hoping. Battery meters fine, battery unhooked to reset, relay new and fuse is fine, switched with another just to make sure. All wire harness seem to be connected (nothing loose).

I've tried to locate a in line fuse but don't see one. I've watched enough utube videos to know a lot of people shouldn't be making videos... lol

I think that about covers it. Any and suggestions are greatly appreciappreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 04-27-2021 | 07:21 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

According to what I am seeing, Fuse 7 in the tipm is for the starting circuit. Relay is controlled by the PCM. Key just suggests to the PCM that it should trip the relay. If the relay is actually the click you hear, then you should see battery voltage at the yellow/gray wire down at the starter. Might wanna pull the relay (if you can....) and verify you actually have power at pin 30. (in the relay socket.) It's hot at all times.

Old 04-27-2021 | 06:35 PM
KennethG
|

Thank you for the advice.

Relay has 12v at the 30 port so I think that's good. I went ahead and pulled thy fuse and powered up to test and there was nothing. Maybe that's normal. I'm honestly not a car guy but I'm trying to save my son some money. I normally make him handle all this but he's working 12 hour shifts over an hour away so he's a bit tired when he gets to his apartment.

I did pull the hot to the starter and tested it, no power there.

read a lot about the NSS today. Tried starting in every gear with them all begin the same click.

Old 04-27-2021 | 06:45 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If the relay clicks, that means the PCM is actually trying to send power to energize the starter. The problem seems to be between the relay, and the starter motor.

Should be two wires on the starter. (I think) the FAT one from the battery, which will be hot all the time, and the little one that trips the solenoid on the starter. That wire needs to see at least 9 volts with the key in the start position in order for the solenoid to pull in far enough to close the contacts that send power to the actual motor.

Can you do a continuity test on the wire from the relay, to the starter? (should have continuity, or, alternatively, zero resistance.)

Old 05-05-2021 | 11:22 PM
KennethG
|

Thank you for all your help. It's been raining so I had to take a few days away from working on his truck. So... the other day I went there expecting to do everything you suggested and a couple other things I had read. The first thing I did was try to start without the key fob. I watched a video where this guy said to hold thy fob next to the ignition and use your finger to start the truck. WHAT THE HELL, right? I tried this with no luck so I tried it with thy key fob...it started...🤷🏼🤷🏼🤷🏼 It's been starting now for a few days.

Quick Reply: New member intro and issue 😁😪😁