4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Blown rings after head job

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2024, 10:26 AM
Observant1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi. This morning I took the crank sensor connector lose and checked the two outside pins for 5v dc. Volt meter showed 0 v ....so i grounded the meter lead to the engine blok and got 5vdc. (key on) looks like i do not have the ground refrence going to the crank sensor. Wires look good but we did disconnect some ground cables to remove the engine. I'm now searching for where/how the ground get to the ckp sensor......

Thanks for your response!

Old 06-29-2024, 10:56 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

I think the ground goes back to the PCM......

In any event, should be able to find wiring daigarms for your truck here.

The following users liked this post:
Observant1 (06-29-2024)
Old 06-29-2024, 11:43 AM
Observant1

Great!. Thanks! This is just what I need.

Just had to say thanks again. I can't tell you how much time this will save me. I'll let you know what i find wrong.

Last edited by Observant1; 06-29-2024 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-30-2024, 01:07 AM
Observant1

It was the crankshaft position connector. Long story short the wiring harness was routed incorrectl;y so trying to pull the connector to the sensor pulled the pin-connectors back into the connector. After looking at the excelent wiring schematics I was directed toward, I activated the sensor signal going back toward the pcm (after taking lose the knock sensor ...and a few others with the key on. I immediatly heard a click and the fuel injectors shoot a startup amount of gas ito the engine.

Rerouted the wiring harness for that side, repaired the ckp connector by pushing the pin forward in the connector until i could see them and tell they were corectly positioned. Put 1 drop of duper glue into the back of the connector and used a hot glue gun to finish the repair.

- I looked for a connector to splice or fix at all the local part stores and the local pull-a-part but no luck. It's a pretty good fix. I'll order a replacement for the future. Truck cranked right up. Drove it around awhile. Had tons of codes but no blinking CEL so cleared the codes. Drove about 20 min or 15 miles and no CEL. I think things are turning my way.

Got my fingers crossed and tomorrow I'll drive and check the truck some more. So be glad i made the "long strory" short,

and i probably wont have a picture of the repair. Was just trying to get things going.

Last edited by Observant1; 06-30-2024 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-30-2024, 09:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,383 Likes on 3,123 Posts

Awesome.

An inexpensive fix as well.

Quick Reply: Blown rings after head job