4th Gen Ram Tech 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2009 - 2018 Rams and the 2019 Ram Classic. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick AC/Cooling Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2024, 05:16 PM
RonRacer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick AC/Cooling Question

So I just got back from a 4hr road trip through the mountains. Truck did fine coming and going. Two days later I noticed it running hotter than normal (215-222) Also realized the AC wasn't cooling off either. Get home to see the compressor has leaked freon and the coolant was low. I added coolant but not freon. I figure if it leaked like that what's the point in trying to fill it. Just going to buy a new compressor.
But my question is why isn't my e-fan coming on? Is it because the ac compressor isn't engaging? I feel like the fan should come on regardless right?

Old 08-20-2024, 06:11 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Does the truck have a fan just off to the side of the radiator? If it does, check for a blowen fuse (guessing fuse 27).

Old 08-20-2024, 08:45 PM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by master tech
Does the truck have a fan just off to the side of the radiator? If it does, check for a blowen fuse (guessing fuse 27).
it has in aftermarket electric fan

Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Is the aftermarket fan controlled by the factory wiring, or does this fan have it's own thermistor for control? In other words, if it's an aftermarket fan with aftermarket wiring, you'll have to know how it was wired to know whether it is wired to come on when the A/C is turned on, only when the compressor field coil gets power, or if it isn't wired in for the A/C at all.

-Rod

Old Today, 05:42 AM
RonRacer
Professional

Originally Posted by SHO Rod
Is the aftermarket fan controlled by the factory wiring, or does this fan have it's own thermistor for control? In other words, if it's an aftermarket fan with aftermarket wiring, you'll have to know how it was wired to know whether it is wired to come on when the A/C is turned on, only when the compressor field coil gets power, or if it isn't wired in for the A/C at all.

-Rod
It's connected to the factory wiring. It usually comes right on when I turn the AC. Which is why it is strange to think that just because my compressor went out the fan would not come on...

Old Today, 08:05 AM
SHO Rod
All Star
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Yep, agreed based on prior operation. Do you have a test light so you can test for voltage to the fan when the A/C is on? A multimeter can work too, but it won't load the circuit like a test light will in order to make sure there's current making it to the fan. A loose/dirty/corroded connection is not as easy to identify with a multimeter due to its high input impedance.

-Rod

Quick Reply: Quick AC/Cooling Question