5th Gen Ram Tech 2019+ Ram Trucks: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2019 Ram 1500.. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Clicking Noise & Pulsation

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2021, 07:16 PM
nyrainman
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Brake Clicking Noise & Pulsation

2019 Ram 1500
5.7L Engine

Twice in the past two days as I was stopping my truck just before it came to a stop I heard a fast clicking noise and at the same time the brake peddle pulsated for a few seconds then stopped. The truck rolled another foot or so and then stopped.

I cannot find anything on the owners user guide, but someone told me they had a GMC truck that did that and it was some kind of a anti-skid feature that would pulsate the brake peddle to prevent people from trying to lockup the brakes if your truck was skidding on the road.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks ...

Old 10-27-2021, 07:39 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,195 Likes on 2,948 Posts

Sure sounds like ABS to me. How were the roads? I know my rear ABS is rather sensitive... on wet roads/loose gravel, it doesn't take much for it to engage.

Old 10-27-2021, 03:04 PM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by nyrainman
2019 Ram 1500
5.7L Engine

Twice in the past two days as I was stopping my truck just before it came to a stop I heard a fast clicking noise and at the same time the brake peddle pulsated for a few seconds then stopped. The truck rolled another foot or so and then stopped.

I cannot find anything on the owners user guide, but someone told me they had a GMC truck that did that and it was some kind of a anti-skid feature that would pulsate the brake peddle to prevent people from trying to lockup the brakes if your truck was skidding on the road.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks ...
Hi nyrainman,
Feel free to let us know via private message if you plan to work with your dealer to resolve this. We're happy to provide you with additional assistance during that process.

Rob
Dodge Cares

Old 10-28-2021, 01:01 PM
nyrainman
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Sure sounds like ABS to me. How were the roads? I know my rear ABS is rather sensitive... on wet roads/loose gravel, it doesn't take much for it to engage.
It's happened 3 times so far and all 3 times I was parking my truck driving only 5 mph or under coming to a stop. The driver's side was on wet grass and I noticed that the left front tire skidded on the grass, as I seen a line of dirt where it ripped up the grass. But every vehicle I've had, as far back as I can remember, had an ABS system and I've never heard a clicking noise nor felt the bake peddle pulsate with the clicking noise like that. That is why I was wondering if this was some new feature on this truck, but couldn't find anything in the owner's guide book that came with the truck.

Old 10-28-2021, 02:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Wonder if you have a sensor that is just a bit flaky, and activating abs when it really shouldn't. The front tire skidding though, indicates that the abs SHOULD be engaging.....

Old 10-28-2021, 03:08 PM
nyrainman
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Wonder if you have a sensor that is just a bit flaky, and activating abs when it really shouldn't. The front tire skidding though, indicates that the abs SHOULD be engaging.....
Well, I'm do for an oil change soon, which the dealer gives me for free, and I'll have them check this out.

But is the ABS suppose to cause a clicking noise and peddle pulsation? That's what's strange, because no other vehicle I've owned ever did this.

UPDATE - Did some research and it seams that it is normal for the ABS to cause a pulsation when engaged. Strangely enough though, like I mentioned above, I've never had any vehicle do this. But, I will update once I have it checked, just in case anyone else has this problem.

Last edited by nyrainman; 10-28-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-28-2021, 03:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

They all behave a bit differently. They have gotten milder over the years... The original systems I dealt with (GM) the pedal would dance quite a bit under your foot, and it would sound like the front end was about to fall off.

Try experimenting with it on a gravel road. That'll give ya an idea of whats up.

Quick Reply: Brake Clicking Noise & Pulsation