5th Gen Ram Tech 2019+ Ram Trucks: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2019 Ram 1500.. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2020 Ram Classic with 109K km drove 800km and is now "seized"....

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:17 PM
nexxusty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 Ram Classic with 109K km drove 800km and is now "seized"....

This has been the worst experience with a vehicle I have ever had, for obvious reasons. Bought this truck on July 2nd, noticed a tick after having it a few days that wasn't there beforehand. Took it to a Dodge Dealer, cracked exhaust manifold.

Picked it up, still made a ticking noise. Took it back to Dodge, they said it was likely a lifter issue (It was, you could hear it). They said they'd do a "goodwill" repair for me.

​​​​​​The repair "failed". After this attempt a piston now binds, on cylinder #5 and they say I need an engine replacement. The engine did not misfire when I brought it in, now they did work on it and it's apparently completely trashed. Cylinder out of round by .0002 and there is scoring.

I've been quoted $19k for an engine replacement for a truck I just spent $34K on a month ago.

I need some advice here.... It's all I think about in my free time. Thank you!

Last edited by nexxusty; Today at 02:24 PM.
Old Today, 02:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,317 Likes on 3,062 Posts

Given you haven't had it long, they should buy it back from you..... Run that one up the flagpole, see if anyone salutes. If not, contact a lawyer.

The following users liked this post:
nexxusty (Today)
Old Today, 02:45 PM
nexxusty

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Given you haven't had it long, they should buy it back from you..... Run that one up the flagpole, see if anyone salutes. If not, contact a lawyer.
Appreciate the advice. I didn't buy it from Dodge, bought it from a Toyota dealership. Now they're saying that since Dodge did work on it, it's not their problem anymore.

No laws in my province (Alberta) that would allow me to take them to court either.

I'm pretty much completely screwed here it seems.

Old Today, 02:52 PM
nexxusty

Oh, Dodge also wants me to pay a $700 deductible as well after essentially wrecking my engine.

Wasn't misfiring or binding before it was brought in. Now it does. So on top of the $19k quote, they want to pay for their failed repair, which I believe further damaged my engine.

Old Today, 03:05 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhhmmm...... That certainly complicates matters..... if the measurement they gave you was accurate, that shouldn't matter. It's still within tolerance.... Essentially, THEY broke it, and now expect YOU to pay for it. Gotta be some legal recourse there.....

nexxusty (Today)
Old Today, 03:50 PM
nexxusty

Hhhmmm...... That certainly complicates matters..... if the measurement they gave you was accurate, that shouldn't matter. It's still within tolerance.... Essentially, THEY broke it, and now expect YOU to pay for it. Gotta be some legal recourse there.....
Cylinder #5 is at .0005 they said. Was supposed to be .0003.

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to engines, however I can't think of a way to pin it on them. Can't really prove the scoring wasn't there before, or at least I don't see a way how to do that.

It's on me to prove it, and I simply cannot. This has already cost me so much, legal action really isn't an option. Worst interaction I've ever had with a dealership, I can tell you that much.

It looks like I'm just going to have to have the engine replaced. No chance I'm giving Dodge that job though. They're never getting a penny from me again after this. As soon as it's fixed I'm selling it as well. This whole scenario has left me with an extremely bad taste in my mouth. I get it's circumstantial, however I feel this has been handed extremely poorly on Dodges behalf.
​​​
Really appreciate the responses by the way. Thank you.
​​​

Last edited by nexxusty; Today at 03:52 PM.
Old Today, 04:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Take it to an independent shop, have them stuff a used motor into it, then when it runs good again, sell it, and call it a day. Probably going to take a bath on this one though...... Could always just keep it, if the replacement motor runs good......

nexxusty (Today)
Old Today, 05:00 PM
nexxusty

Take it to an independent shop, have them stuff a used motor into it, then when it runs good again, sell it, and call it a day. Probably going to take a bath on this one though...... Could always just keep it, if the replacement motor runs good......
I'm just not comfortable keeping a vehicle that this issue is so common with. Stellantis knows about this and does nothing whatsoever to acknowledge it. I have ZERO confidence in these generations of Hemi's and I consider them to be fundamentally flawed engines.

I wish I did more research before I bought the vehicle, that's on me. Regardless of how it runs and drives when it's fixed, it will be sold. I want nothing to do with Dodge for the rest of my life at this point. They actually made my situation WORSE than it was before.

Absolutely no confidence in their vehicles or their practices. I'm buying a Toyota moving forward.

Appreciate the time you've spent taking with me though brother. You take care.

Quick Reply: 2020 Ram Classic with 109K km drove 800km and is now "seized"....