Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

150 db?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 05:59 AM
7secR/C
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 150 db?

Out of curiosity, what is the minimum cone size/power to hit 150 db in a single cab? Not trying to be cheap, but I would like a general idea before I start planning. Also, if you were to build your dream system in an 05 Ram regular cab, what would it be? Open to almost anything that doesn't require cutting the truck up, or removing the stock power bucket seats.

Old 11-18-2007, 09:04 AM
crcarch
Professional
Default RE: 150 db?

So you want something that will cause permanent hearing loss instantly, something louder than a jet engine and has no practical purpose other than pissing off the neighbors and draining your wallet?
OK - Find the most efficient speaker rated at 1 watt, then double the wattage for every 3 dB. If you can find a very efficient speaker -say onerated at 100 dB at 1 watt, which is pretty good - you'll need more than 65,000 watts to achieve 150 dB. Good luck fitting that in a regular cab pickup! That's why you see SUV's and vans at Sound-Off's. Besides they only give credit up to 140 dB in the SPL judging anyway. That requires only 8,000 watts.
My suggestion is to pop in the ear buds and crank 'em all the way up. Get a massaging chair and you'll achieve the same effect without pissing off the neighborhood....and it's a hellofa lot cheaper!

Old 11-18-2007, 11:05 AM
jperkins812
Professional

ORIGINAL: crcarch

So you want something that will cause permanent hearing loss instantly, something louder than a jet engine and has no practical purpose other than pissing off the neighbors and draining your wallet?
OK - Find the most efficient speaker rated at 1 watt, then double the wattage for every 3 dB. If you can find a very efficient speaker -say onerated at 100 dB at 1 watt, which is pretty good - you'll need more than 65,000 watts to achieve 150 dB. Good luck fitting that in a regular cab pickup! That's why you see SUV's and vans at Sound-Off's. Besides they only give credit up to 140 dB in the SPL judging anyway. That requires only 8,000 watts.
My suggestion is to pop in the ear buds and crank 'em all the way up. Get a massaging chair and you'll achieve the same effect without pissing off the neighborhood....and it's a hellofa lot cheaper!
I do agree that 150 db in a regular cab pickup truck is going to be hard to do, but can be done with a cut through from the bed into cab. Now you information on the rest of what you said id wrong, and you might want to read up before you post that at spl contests only go to 140db. The world record holders are in the 170 range right now and still climbing, and I have personally gotten to 150 db with only 6000 watts of power. I have been doing car audio for years now and have had many different setups in the many vehicles I have owned, have had all my systems put on the meters used in the competitions and they have always read and given credit over 140 db.

7secR/C, you might want to visit some audio shops in your area and go onto the termpro website that is the website for car audio competitors. You could have the system you want, but in order to do so then you are going to have to sacrafice and possibly do some cutting on the truck itself.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:16 PM
crcarch
Professional

You may beright about them giving credit for over 140 dB. Looking back at the article I got my info. from, I realize that it was about 10 years old. Sorry if I contributed to anymisinformation. I still think its nuts to try to do something that'll cause permanent damage. Of course I've been known to do ignore common sense myself from time to time.....so to each his own! [sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 11-18-2007, 01:32 PM
jperkins812
Professional

ORIGINAL: crcarch

You may beright about them giving credit for over 140 dB. Looking back at the article I got my info. from, I realize that it was about 10 years old. Sorry if I contributed to anymisinformation. I still think its nuts to try to do something that'll cause permanent damage. Of course I've been known to do ignore common sense myself from time to time.....so to each his own! [sm=smiley20.gif]

It's all good[sm=deal.gif] . the car audio industry is like the computer industry in that it changes and grows everyday. I love car audio, but I am one of those people that love the challenge butIam out of riding around on a daily basis with a loud system ( I am getting old I guess).

Old 11-20-2007, 02:03 AM
7secR/C

lol.....not quite what I expected.

I'm not planning to build an spl system, but one for sound quality. That whole 150 db thing was just an afterthought.

Old 11-22-2007, 05:00 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

lol.....150db and sound quality generally dont go together.

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2007, 08:58 PM
bad venge
Section Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've hit 150 with a single ten inch sub , set up properly running 2000 watts input in a ported box ... but it wasn't great for sound quality

Old 11-25-2007, 09:44 PM
marionso14
Professional

2 JL audio 12w7's pushed by2 JL1000/1 amps produced 148.5 in my honda civic hatchback. with a little work you might could get close with that setup in your truck. use a 2nd battery tho and a cap wouldnt hurt either. use high-end cables and wires to squeeze everyhing you can out of em

Old 11-29-2007, 03:11 PM
DodgeRAmPower
Rookie

Its possible to hit 150 db in our Ram trucks, depending on the space though. I have 2 12 inch subwoofers in a1500 Extended Caband i'm putting out 140+ db (no local termlab, so i can't show you it) but i have a db reader and thats what it says with windows and doors closed and just the db reader measuring the db.
I'd recommend like two Rockford Fosgate 15 inch subwoofers and if you got the money buy 2 18 inch Rockford Fosgate subwolfers, with 2 3000 watt amps or 4 1500 watt amps (2 per sub) and 4 batteries. (expensive stuff [])
Theres a guy with a Chevy Tahoe that has 4 18 inch Rockford Fosgate subs with 8 1500 watt amps 2 per sub that puts out 20,000+ watts and has a 157 DB on a termlab.

Crazzzyyy.