Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

High-pitched whine

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Jstore12
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High-pitched whine

Hi guys,

I want to thank everyone for their help, in advance. I have recently had a new system installed...new head unit, 2 amps, 4 speakers (2 of which are components). I have 3 sets of RCA's running to the amps in my trunk. Everything sounds great exceptfor the fact that i am experiencing a high-pitched whine, or squeal, whenever the stereo is on - even when i have the volume at 0. The noise all but goes away when i power the stereo off, and picks right back up as soon as i turn it on. Anyone have any ideas as to what this is and how I can remedy it? it's driving me nuts and i dont want to have to bring it into a store just yet and waste my money on something that could be a simple problem. Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2005, 03:14 AM
ngsm13
Default RE: High-pitched whine

The problem is most likely alternator whine or ground loop. You need to make sure your amps are all grounded in the same position. Also, another way to try to solve the problem is, install a two wires (at least 8 gauge). One from the battery negative to the engine block, the other grounding the alternator to the chassis. peace

NG

Old 04-06-2005, 03:48 AM
trainwreck6857

If it is alterntor noise the whining will go with the gas pedal and the engine must be on. Try what ng said but also make sure that your RCAs are run on the opposite side of the vehicle from the power wire. IF they are really cheap wires that will cause it too, they should be shielded. IF the whine doesnt go up when you puch the gas down and the engine is on then your amp or headunit has an internal problem. DO NOT use noise filters they kill your sound quality.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:17 PM
12voltkid

Good call trainwreck. First of all was it pro. installed because if it was IT SHOULD NOT BE YOUR PROBLEM, what kind of shop send'd their customer away with that. Second if through proccess of elimination you do get to changing your Battery ground it does not ness. have to be 8ga. BUT it has to be the same size of wire your using to grond your amps. I only use 4ga now unless we get into higher draw Then we go to 2g 1q 0.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:06 PM
ngsm13

ORIGINAL: 12voltkid

Good call trainwreck. First of all was it pro. installed because if it was IT SHOULD NOT BE YOUR PROBLEM, what kind of shop send'd their customer away with that. Second if through proccess of elimination you do get to changing your Battery ground it does not ness. have to be 8ga. BUT it has to be the same size of wire your using to grond your amps. I only use 4ga now unless we get into higher draw Then we go to 2g 1q 0.
yup, said that...

ORIGINAL: ngsm13

The problem is most likely alternator whine or ground loop. You need to make sure your amps are all grounded in the same position. Also, another way to try to solve the problem is, install a two wires (at least 8 gauge). One from the battery negative to the engine block, the other grounding the alternator to the chassis. peace

NG
Mine currently is 2/0

NG

Quick Reply: High-pitched whine