Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Viper 5901 Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:23 PM
BoostAK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper 5901 Help

I just installed the Viper 5901 Alarm system over the weekend and I am having some problems.

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab (with the black key, so no immobilizer)

-First: The system will arm and disarm, the LED on the antenna will flash and if you open the door or shake the vehicle the 2 way pager will alert you, but the power door locks do not work. If I lock the doors with the power door lock switch on the vehicle the Viper remote will unlock the driver's door only. I can't get it to do anything else, lock/unlock. There is only one wire for both lock and unlock according to the diagram and the tech sheet I got with the alarm says I need resistors which I have used.

-Second: The remote start will only crank the vehicle and will not turn it on. If I have the key in the on position and hit the remote start button the vehicle will start. I checked the voltage at the Fuel injector and when starting with the key I get 12v right away, but when checking the voltage when trying the remote start I get 0.079 Volts. Tried switching the Tach signal to the coil and it does the same exact thing as the fuel injector wire.

There is a 5 pin Remote Start Aux harness that has the key sense wire and the other 4 wires calls for diodes, tried installing that, but still just get cranking and no start.

Any ideas or help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:31 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have the Clifford 50.7x which is the same as what you have. Ill have to look at how i did my RS but on the locks did you wire then with two SPDT 30/40 relays and the resistors?

Look at these threads and see if they help
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...ts.asp~TID~471
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/....asp~TID~52897

Old 10-23-2009, 03:25 PM
BoostAK

Thanks let me know what you find out. I did not use any sort of relay with the door locks just the resistors. I saw the 12v links you posted when I did the install and it matches the tech sheet that came with the alarm system. My friend helped with the install and he used to work at a car audio place and has done a lot of alarm/remote start installs and he was stumped.

My truck did not come with a stock keyless entry and I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Also the engine is out of an '05. I called a dodge dealership and they confirmed my truck did not come with an immobilizer system. I don't know if that has to do with anything either.

I don't get why when we try the remote start button we get a 0volt reading at both the fuel injector and coil. With the key in the on position or starting the truck normally with the key we get an instant 12 volts. I'm using the furthest forward drivers side fuel injector for the tach signal. Does it matter what one I use? I figured it could be any of the 8.

Where can I get the relay(s) for the door locks? It's sounding like I will need them, don't you think? Also even if I don't have the immobilizer do I still need the by pass module? Thanks for the help and let me know how you did your truck, especially with the remote start.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:20 PM
BoostAK

Is this the relay I need: http://www.amazon.com/VDC-Automotive.../dp/B0002KR9GG and with the harness? and how many 1 or 2? Thanks.

Also do you have a diagram to install the relay(s)? I found a 12v 30a 4 pin relay locally not sure if it's the right kind but it's the best I can find here in town.

Last edited by BoostAK; 10-24-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 PM
audioaddict
Professional

The unlock sounds like it needs to be programmed for a double pulse to unlock the other doors. for the no start issue, try this:

with the key in the ignition (not turned on), try remote starting the vehicle.

If the truck starts, then there is an immobilizer on the truck and you need to get an interface or universal bypass. If it does not start, throw a meter on your ignition wire(s). If you don't see you should see 12v at IGN and during crank, no power when the key is at rest or during ACC. My guess is if it's not starting with the key in any other position than the run, is that you've got some wires mixed up and it's not powering up an ignition circuit like it should.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:55 PM
BoostAK

Hey thanks for the response. I got the remote start to work, used the multimeter and found the right wire. I'm not sure what happened, I think we forgot to hook one back up or something. Anyways traced the wires and used the meter and got the remote start working!

I haven't had much time with work and my girlfriends baby shower so I've been doing a little bit at a time. Next is the door locks and I should be good to go. How do I program it for double pulse?? I tried reading about it at the12volt and still a little confused. Thanks in advance.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:59 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Sry about just getting back. Standard SPDT 30/40amp relays should be used. They should be no more than a few bucks each. You can get the resistors at Radio Shack. Like I said, I have the Clifford 50.7x which is the twin to the 5901 and I didnt have to program the alarm for double pulse. All of the factory settings were sufficent.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:33 PM
BoostAK

Ok I got the relay. Where do the wires go? Do you have a diagram or remember how you wired your relay in? Thanks

Quick Reply: Viper 5901 Help