Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Stereo, amps, and off-road lights electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 AM
big_b_8888
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went and replaced my battery with a brand new one.. It seems like the light dimming is slightly better but I still see the voltage guage drop and then recover during high amp loads..

So I think next will be a 0ga wire for the alt to batt power wire and a HO alternator..

I am not sure what else I would need to do ... It seems like my alternator is getting weak...

Old 01-22-2012, 09:57 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie

I am stumped .. I have all new 0 ga wire .. alt to batterym engine to battery, and chassi to battery. I bought a new battery .. I checked oll of my grounds ( all read .2 ohms or less)

I have dimming still even at mid volume levels... my 4 KC lights or even my power windows (2 rolling down at once) make my volt meter drag down and then ir quickly recovers..

Am I missing a ground somewhere ? Sounds to me like a bad ground somewhere.. I know all my grounds are good that I replaced but are there any others I need to check ? Or could my alternator be bad ?

Also something od I have noticed is that when I slow down and the rpms drop when I slow down (below 1200) my lights headlights will just seem to dim to about 75% brightness.. It is like someone just flips a switch to reduce power to the lights.. kind of like the alternator just stips putting out juice all together.

I am thinkning I have a bad ground somewhere I don't know about or my alternator is toast ?

Any ideas ? This is driving me crazy !!!

Old 01-22-2012, 10:21 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Ive got a video of my BIG 3 upgrade on youtube you can look at and see all my power and grounds wires.

www.youtube.com/weedahoe

Old 01-23-2012, 06:37 AM
big_b_8888
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.. That is exactly the wires I replaced - the 2nd battery. I did all 0ga wire. I sanded ground locations and terminal rings.. I have checked all ground connections with my meter.

Voltage sits right around 15 v ( little high ) and can drop below 14v quickly with load but recovers quickly (still under load)

I have ruled out my amps causing the issue because all other equipment produces the same problem.

The dimming is not as bad at higher RPMs but still does it.

Should I ditch my 1 farad capacitor? and lean towards the alternator bring the blame ?

Old 07-05-2012, 07:30 PM
big_b_8888
Rookie

I know this is an old thread but I am going MAD !! LOL

I still have the dimming.. Has anyone had dimming like mine and solved it ?

Quick Reply: Stereo, amps, and off-road lights electrical issue