Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

electrical system cant take it......

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 07:22 AM
cmpx3
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default electrical system cant take it......

I have an 07 ram 5.7. I have installed a stereo system in my truck about the same power level as every other vehicle ive ever owned. This is the first Dodge truck i have ever had. I have 2 amps one rated 250 for my mids n highs and one rated 500 on my subs. I have even installed 2- 2fared capaciters. I am not sure witch of the two factory offered alternators i have. I talked to my local alternater shop about an upgrade. I was told the factory one i have now should handle the system i have now and the problem was that the ecm is controlling my voltage to the system instead of an external unit on older trucks. Like i said previos i have had stereo systems in everything ive owned and never had to use capacitors or upgrade my alter. I cant even hardly play it at night without killin my headlights. Im very surprised how weak the electrical is on this truck. Any one had the same problems? Did a different alter. fix it for you or is the ecu my issue? Thanks

Old 03-20-2012, 07:24 AM
cmpx3
Rookie

By the way, i forgot to say i also have an optima red top and have upgraded the " big three"

Old 03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

The electrical system is fine. The PCM isnt an issue and neither is your alt unless its bad or going bad.

Ive got WAY more electronics than you and no issues.

Im running a 136A alt, an xbox 360, power inverter, 2 sets of HID, a Taurus fan on high speed with an 80A relay, 4 TV screens, two amps at about 2 watts total and a few other smaller things.

Ive never been a fan about Optima batteries. They are fine if you need a sealed battery INSIDE the vehicle but under the hood I wouldnt have one if you gave it to me. Yes I have had them and after having several DIE, I wont waste anymore money on them.

How did you do your Big 3? What size gauge wire did you use? Where are your grounds? Are they clean and solid?

Old 03-22-2012, 06:29 AM
cmpx3
Rookie

I did from the alt. to the battery. The battery to the fuse box. And the two grounds in a #2 copper that i got from work ( i work for an electric utility). I agree on the amount of electronics i have i didnt think should be hurting it this much. When you play it at night with all the lights on it is killing it.....

Old 03-22-2012, 07:26 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Where are your grounds connected? Are they the same as the OEM grounds that are on the engine block, fdame and fender? What about your amp grounds? How long are they and where are they connected?

Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
cmpx3
Rookie

The grounds in the engine bay are connected the same places the factory is. The ampgrounds are short and 4-8 guauge. During the day its ok... It's when the hesdlights are on it dims them worse than ive ever seen. I had 3 amps and 2 15" subs in a mini truck 20 years ago on a total factory charging system and never had that much issue with any dimming at all. Thats why i got to wondering if dodge had somthing in thier charging system/headlights different than other vehicles i dont know about.

Old 03-23-2012, 04:32 PM
cmpx3
Rookie

The only different thing i have on this truck is H.I.D's... Would that make a difference? I thought they used less power...no?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Maybe its not your electrical or charging system. Maybe its your wire routing and grounding on the HID harness or ballasts.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 AM
cmpx3
Rookie

The thing is..the dash lights and all just about go out. Any time you add anything xtra (like the HID'S) they should be suspect. But...the hid kit i have on it came with a power wire set up so the lights would be powered from the battery and the headlight circut just turns it on and off. Supposed to cut down on flickering of the lights by having them that way. The ground for this cable is in a good factory location. I can remember when this truck was new and bone stock turning on the a/c or when you rolled up the windows and they topped out everything electrical would bog down. I have owned alot of trucks and cars and this is the first loaded Dodge, and only vehicle that i have ever had do this.

Old 03-24-2012, 07:50 AM
cmpx3
Rookie

Originally Posted by cmpx3
The thing is..the dash lights and all just about go out. Any time you add anything xtra (like the HID'S) they should be suspect. But...the hid kit i have on it came with a power wire set up so the lights would be powered from the battery and the headlight circut just turns it on and off. Supposed to cut down on flickering of the lights by having them that way. The ground for this cable is in a good factory location. I can remember when this truck was new and bone stock turning on the a/c or when you rolled up the windows and they topped out everything electrical would bog down. I have owned alot of trucks and cars and this is the first loaded Dodge, and only vehicle that i have ever had do this.
Is my truck the only one that does this? Did anyone elses truck do these things when they were stock electrically? I always thought i was strange after i bought it. I guess i could have asked the dealer but i dont know if i would have trusted the answar.

Quick Reply: electrical system cant take it......