Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

2012 Uconnect SW update

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 07:56 PM
HoytDude
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xsdbs, I just purchased a 2014 RAM 3500 and while reading different topics came across this UConnect update thread. According to UConnect my radio is due a SW update. I downloaded the update but want to know the correct way to install it. Are the instructions you gave at the beginning of this thread (for 2012) correct for my update procedure?

Thanks, Bob

Old 10-15-2015, 06:59 AM
xsdbs
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry that I am just now seeing this question, it's that time of year when things start getting crazy at work.
I don't think that this update will work for you because:
1) It's for 2012 vehicles that have either the RES, REQ, RBZ or RHB radios.
2) I believe that in 2013 the RAM's went to the 8.4 & 4.3 radios and the SW versions are very different to the non Uconnect Access systems.
xsdbs

Originally Posted by HoytDude
xsdbs, I just purchased a 2014 RAM 3500 and while reading different topics came across this UConnect update thread. According to UConnect my radio is due a SW update. I downloaded the update but want to know the correct way to install it. Are the instructions you gave at the beginning of this thread (for 2012) correct for my update procedure?

Thanks, Bob

Old 10-15-2015, 07:44 AM
HoytDude
Amateur

xsdbs, I found the update to be painless and very easy to do. I called UConnect and found it was only necessary to insert the flash drive and select "Start." Approximately 20 minutes later it was done.

Thanks again,
Bob

Old 10-16-2015, 06:56 AM
xsdbs
Captain

This is rather odd, Can you tell me which radio you have in the RAM? Did you hear the beeps continue from beginning to the end? Were you able to see that the SW version changed? Is your system working any better?
I was under the impression that this update wouldn't work on the newer touchscreen radios (8.4 & 4.3)

xsdbs, I found the update to be painless and very easy to do. I called UConnect and found it was only necessary to insert the flash drive and select "Start." Approximately 20 minutes later it was done.

Thanks again,
Bob

Old 10-16-2015, 09:01 PM
HoytDude
Amateur

I input my VIN # to UConnect and received a notice my radio was was due an update so I followed the instructions to download the software. My understanding is my radio is described as 5.0/RA2
Once the flash drive was inserted my radio said something on the order of "Software Update" with an option to Start or Abort.

Once Start was selected a message was given to not remove the flash drive. A sliding bar was shown showing the progress of the installation. I didn't attempt to look for version of software before or following the install.
Since I had no issues with my radio prior to this update, I couldn't say if it preforms better or not.

I wonder if this update is different than the one you have been helping others with???

Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 AM
xsdbs
Captain

ahh, ok now I got it. Yes, you are correct, the file that you loaded onto the flash drive is very different from the one that I have listed here. The SW version as well as contents are not compatible with each other. There are 3 different suppliers for Uconnect because of the many different radios that are offered by Chrysler. So because of that, each company has their own SW version #'s and structure so this makes them incompatible to each other. Not to mention that there is now the "Uconnect Access system which is a paid service and is very different than the normal Uconnect system.

I input my VIN # to UConnect and received a notice my radio was was due an update so I followed the instructions to download the software. My understanding is my radio is described as 5.0/RA2
Once the flash drive was inserted my radio said something on the order of "Software Update" with an option to Start or Abort.

Once Start was selected a message was given to not remove the flash drive. A sliding bar was shown showing the progress of the installation. I didn't attempt to look for version of software before or following the install.
Since I had no issues with my radio prior to this update, I couldn't say if it preforms better or not.

I wonder if this update is different than the one you have been helping others with???

Old 10-19-2015, 09:14 AM
HoytDude
Amateur

Good, I was hoping what I said made sense. Your understanding of the iins and outs far exceed what I'll ever know about Uconnect. An example; I have no clue what the differences are between Uconnect and Uconnect Access system??? I'll have to see what I can find.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:55 AM
xsdbs
Captain

Uconnect Access can be compared to GM's Onstar system. It's a paid subscription system where the standard Uconnect system is only used for a Hands Free environment which was designed to make using the phone and driving a safer experience for you and others driving around you.

Good, I was hoping what I said made sense. Your understanding of the iins and outs far exceed what I'll ever know about Uconnect. An example; I have no clue what the differences are between Uconnect and Uconnect Access system??? I'll have to see what I can find.

Old 10-20-2015, 12:31 PM
HoytDude
Amateur

Thanks,

Old 10-23-2015, 06:38 AM
xsdbs
Captain

no problem

Thanks,