Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Stock Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 10:01 PM
daveey03
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock Radio

I have a 2012 Ram Express, the stock radio is poor at best. Does anyone know if just changing the speakers will make a noticeable improvement? I'm only looking for quallity sound without distortion. Thanks!

Old 01-02-2013, 12:02 AM
LU229
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daveey03
I have a 2012 Ram Express, the stock radio is poor at best. Does anyone know if just changing the speakers will make a noticeable improvement? I'm only looking for quallity sound without distortion. Thanks!
I would have to say yes.... a better quality speaker will ALWAYS sound better than the OEM weasel speakers that they put in these trucks. The OEM radio`s themselves arent that bad sounding. A radio is only going to be as good as its speakers. I would start with replacing one side, listen to the difference, i bet you`ll be surprised as long as you spend some decent money for quality speakers. Special notice... make sure you replace the OEM speakers with the same ohm rating, or that radio is gonna go poof.
And dont go crazy with speaker wattage, bigger is NOT always better...!

Old 01-03-2013, 05:21 PM
Mikeyyy816
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daveey03
Changing the speakers won't do much for that stock head unit. I used to have the stock RES radio in my big horn. Then upgraded to the mygig REN(if i remember correctly) still JUNK with my upgraded Infinity Reference 6x9 speakers and the same in 3.5" for the dash... So I sold that radio and bought a Kenwood ddX419 and it made a world of difference. Here's my link to a thread of my install....

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...ket-radio.html

Old 01-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Atomic Dog
Professional

I thought my express stock basic radio sounded pretty good for a stock unit. Of course I listen to talk radio 95% of the time... I thought about installing a super cool unit with dvd player and nav, but after seeing what has to be cut and chopped to install a different radio I think I'll leave it alone.

I tend to agree that good speakers always make a difference. Whether you upgrade the radio later or not. If you do, you will already have good speakers.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:42 AM
daveey03

New speakers are going in today, not sure it will make the difference I'm looking for but if not I can change the head unit out next. Thanks for replies!

Old 01-25-2013, 07:24 PM
skyjockey
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mikeyyy816
Changing the speakers won't do much for that stock head unit. I used to have the stock RES radio in my big horn. Then upgraded to the mygig REN(if i remember correctly) still JUNK with my upgraded Infinity Reference 6x9 speakers and the same in 3.5" for the dash... So I sold that radio and bought a Kenwood ddX419 and it made a world of difference. Here's my link to a thread of my install....

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/audio-v...ket-radio.html

Excellent info !! Thank you for posting since this is my spring project

Old 01-31-2013, 07:26 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Anything stock usually sucks. That included speakers, OEM amps and head units

Quick Reply: Stock Radio