Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Aftermarket Stereo In my 04 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 PM
mdivanna
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Aftermarket Stereo In my 04 questions

Ok, so i am looking to upgrade my infinity stereo with an after-market. I was wondering if any can recommend the best sounding brand of speakers also (i was thinking like rockford fosgate or jl audio) . Im Not really sure where to start this project because i have questions like: Can i use the factory headunit with another amp to power subwoofers and also keep the factory amp for the door speakers hooked to it? Has anyone ever replaced the factory amp with an aftermarket to power the door speakers, and added an amp for subwoofers? i would like to keep my factory cd player if possible (just because thats one less extra thing to buy) have you guys had this done professionally? or does it cost alot and would be more worth spending a day doing it myself. thanks for any help

Old 02-15-2013, 09:01 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I just did the opposite yesterday - i replaced my head unit and added a subwoofer. It sounds awesome. The harness i got with the unit bypasses the onboard amp and uses the infinity amp and speakers instead. But because the new unit has much more detailed eq tuning than a stock unit, even with factory speakers it sounds way better. I also got a steering wheel adapter that plugs in and programs itself to the vehicle and the unit. Adding the sub was icing on the cake. Go to crutchfield.com or call them and they will tell you everything you need to do what you want and they provide tech support as well.

The ground terminal on my sub wont go as tight as i want it. I called them today and they are sending me a whole new sub and a free return label for the old one. More companies should adopt their business model.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:50 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You should take a moment to click the link in my signature for my Facebook.

Their are many different ways to go with this. I have Kicker speakers in my doors and love them. I have also used Pioneers in the past and liked them as well

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 AM
hemispherical engine101

I recently installed a full Alpine system and it sounds great, especially for the money. Alpine is known for being a great product at affordable prices. I replaced my stock radio with an alpine unit, all four door speakers, 3 way in front, and 2 way in back, and added 2, kicker subs under the back seat, hooked to a 500 watt alpine amp. Don't go cheap with this stuff because with electronics, the rule is, you always get what you pay for. Cheap=bad performance. As far as I know, and I have never tried, but I do not think it would work well or is a good idea to try to run subs off your stock system. It may do it, but would put a lot of unnecessary strain on it and cause some heating issues. Spend a little extra and buy a small amp and stick it under your seat and call it good.

Posted from Dodgeforum.com App for Android

Old 02-16-2013, 10:03 AM
mdivanna

thanks guys!! im going to a few local car audio place today to get some qoutes, afterwards i will check ebay and crutchfield.. ill keep you posted and im sure ill have some more questions allong the way!

Old 02-16-2013, 02:54 PM
03 RamHemi Toy
Amateur

I would say weedahoe has the right idea,many was to go! I went with jl amps and polk audio speakers and subs. It does sound Great but, I got a buddy that used kickers and it sounds just as good at half the price. Yes you can do it yourself and save a bunch as long as you understand the color codes.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:24 PM
mdivanna

OK, So after some shopping around i think im gonna do this my self, the local radio shop said 1600 for everthing installed and i priced it on ebay for around 1000. I am Going to go to a double din pioneer HU ($286) dash modification ($180) with steering wheel control interface ( either axxess awsc or a PAC SWI-PS). Rockford Fosgates all around and RF Amp and Sub. Ive done some stereos before in my older dodges,no problem, but never in a 3rd gen. or with a factory amp.... So in my parts list i also have a Metra 70-6512 factory amp bypass harness.... im a little unsure how all this works. will this plug into the harness into the HU and then to the plug into the factory amp or the wiring harness running to it?or will i have to cut factory harnesses and splice wires together? im looking for some detailed instructions on how to do this if any one can post a link for me..... also some insrtuctions for the steering wheel interface thanks -mike

Old 02-17-2013, 08:29 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Who is doing the double DIN modification?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:58 PM
mdivanna

i havent purchased anything yet its all in my ebay shopping cart.... im order my bezel from timann1111, the pictures on ebay and the pictures you have on your facebook looked very similar... so i actually think you are doing it! lol

Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Yeah I sell on Ebay. You wont be disappointed. I was wondering if someone local was doing it and the only thing I was going to suggest was that you look at some of their work before laying down the coins. I have worked on a lot of guys pieces that other shops did and it wasnt good.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Stereo In my 04 questions