Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

anyway to hook subs up to stock radio?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 10:48 PM
bansheenut
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyway to hook subs up to stock radio?

i have a 94 dodge ram casset player and im wondering if there is anyway to hook up subs to a stock deck

Old 01-30-2006, 01:06 AM
kdh97602
Professional
Default RE: anyway to hook subs up to stock radio?

yes there are devices that will translate your speaker output to low voltage currant, such that are used on amps. also most amps will have a "line in" adapter that will allow you to install the amp to the stock speaker wire. another route is to go to crutchfield.com and brouse new head units. a new head unit will sound WAY better than stock, and some will allow you to keep your casset player if you want. instalation instructions are provided as well as adapters to hook up to the stock speakers - and its easyer than you think to do.
good luck

Old 02-03-2006, 01:13 AM
dak0ta_g33k
Rookie

^ what he said my current setup gets signal from the factory RBK headunit. my mtx amp has speaker level inputs, i just tapped into the wires running to rear speakers. that way i just fade towards the front to act like a bass ****.

Old 02-03-2006, 02:10 AM
stantheman
Professional

thats not really a safe way of doing it but ok. got to your local audio shop and tell them what you are wanting to do. they can either sell you the device and put it in or you can do it. cant remember off the top of my head what it is called, but they will know exactly what you are talking about.

Old 02-06-2006, 09:19 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: stantheman

thats not really a safe way of doing it but ok.

Whats not safe about it, thats the way the speaker level inputs are designed.

Old 02-07-2006, 12:21 AM
stantheman
Professional

do what you want to do but i dont think its safe or looks good. of course your also talking to someone who has worked and spent alot of time in stereo shops. not saying i now it all but just from experience. it all has to do with ohms and what the deck will handle without blowing out the output.

Old 02-07-2006, 10:31 PM
car_audio_god

do what you want to do but i dont think its safe or looks good. of course your also talking to someone who has worked and spent alot of time in stereo shops. not saying i now it all but just from experience. it all has to do with ohms and what the deck will handle without blowing out the output.
Incorrect. 2005 Model year MTX Amplifiers come with streetwires line level hooks up, and the MTX amps are specifically made to accept them.

But, you could also look into an LOC (line output converter).

I recommend David Navone LOC's, do a google search. They're excellent quality, and good price.

Old 02-08-2006, 03:24 PM
356MAGNUM
Record Breaker

The looks aspects, everything can be made purty. Safe, I also do not claim to know it all, but in the 29 years of installing on and off and hanging in stores and ET in AIr Force and etc etc, line level converters have been used from the begining. Basically they lower the voltage and impedeance match. The non-adjustable ones (like on most amps) are soso. The better ones will have a level adjuster(resistor potentiometer). And even the better ones have an overload light. Unless you have the ones with the OL lights, setup is stricly by ear. Set HU to max listening vol(NOT MAX VOL) then adjust the level on the converter until the OL lights and then backoff until it just goes out. If you dont have a OL light, then its listening for distortion. Its a rather crappy way, but works until a new HU with RCA levels out is avialible.

Old 02-09-2006, 02:56 AM
stantheman
Professional

never said line out converters were unsafe or ugly, you cant see em. what i said was quote unsafe was running speakers off of your rear speaker inputs.

Quick Reply: anyway to hook subs up to stock radio?