Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification. Let's hear about it here.

Need HELP with my stratus R/T system!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 05:13 PM
RICHARDS108
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP with my stratus R/T system!!!

ok guys here is the deal i have a Rockford Fosgate punch 4004 4-channel amp it is powering my pioneer 6x9s in my deck and my alpine type E subs 12". my prob is with my subs. when i had my box pointing so u could see my subs when you opened my trunk it was LOUD and it hard but it wasn’t clear at all so i decided to flip them around so the subs are now facing my seats. they sound a lot more clear and clean but im having a prob with them bottoming out and they dont hit hard at all. i have had these subs in my S10 and my Wrangler b4 my strat and never had this prob. I have never put a system in a car b4 so im a lil new with it. is there a way to get clean hard hitting bass with the subs in your trunk???

Thanks for the help guys,

RICHARDS108

Old 04-25-2006, 05:19 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Default RE: Need HELP with my stratus R/T system!!!

ORIGINAL: RICHARDS108

ok guys here is the deal i have a Rockford Fosgate punch 4004 4-channel amp it is powering my pioneer 6x9s in my deck and my alpine type E subs 12". my prob is with my subs. when i had my box pointing so u could see my subs when you opened my trunk it was LOUD and it hard but it wasn’t clear at all so i decided to flip them around so the subs are now facing my seats. they sound a lot more clear and clean but im having a prob with them bottoming out and they dont hit hard at all. i have had these subs in my S10 and my Wrangler b4 my strat and never had this prob. I have never put a system in a car b4 so im a lil new with it. is there a way to get clean hard hitting bass with the subs in your trunk???

Thanks for the help guys,

RICHARDS108
For starters, I never recommend running subs and 6x9's on the same amp. You lose alot of power that way. I'd suggest unhooking the 6x9's and fire up your system, see if you notice a difference. Subs require X amount of power and if they arent getting it, they will hit hollow. Try pushing your subs away from the rear seats, but still keeping them facing the interior. Like 6-8 inches off the rear seat. If the subs dont get enough air space in front of them, that too can cause the speakers to sound hollow.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:30 PM
RICHARDS108
Professional

ok when i get out of work il have to try unhooking my 6x9s and just bridge both subs. as far as the spacing goes i was still trying to have some trunk space lol so thats y i pushed them back as far as i could so to give it more air ive been leaving my driverside back seet down. is that good or bad?

Old 04-25-2006, 05:38 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ok when i get out of work il have to try unhooking my 6x9s and just bridge both subs. as far as the spacing goes i was still trying to have some trunk space lol so thats y i pushed them back as far as i could so to give it more air ive been leaving my driverside back seet down. is that good or bad?
Leaving your rear seats down should have been fine, but it also may explain why you think its not hitting as hard as it did before. When the subs are in a confined space, you hear more of the bass as hits objects in the trunk...but with that rear seat down....you'll have more open space that doesnt reflect as well.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Troy_Audi0
Rookie

seat positoin will do alil for the SPL marks.. but for the SQ part .. you gotta unpower the 6x9's the air pressor from the subs is killing them..
think of the size difrence the Sub will push & pull the 6x9's no mater what if they are in the same air space..
check the gains on the amp keep them as low as you can its not a Vol ****..
the gain if up tohigh can make your sub distort.. distortion startd 3dB before the ear can hear it .. just a note..

good luck keep us posted..
peace Troy

Old 04-26-2006, 03:59 PM
RICHARDS108
Professional

well i just got done with messing with my system and just simply pushing the subs back was the key it sounds so much better now. but i am still goin to have to disagree with you devil on the powering subs and 6x9s on the same amp i have been doing it for yeas with a couple diff amps now and have never had a prob with it infact my roomate is running 1 JL sub and 2 pioneer 6x9s off a kicker 4chn and hes never had any probs. not trying to say ur wrong just saying i have never had a prob with it. and troy are u saying that i shouldnt run 6x9s in my deck since i have subs?? and thanks again for the help guys

Old 04-26-2006, 06:27 PM
habeba86
Record Breaker

Yes thats wat he is saying. The subs move so much air, it will mess with the movement of the 6x9's in the deck. You really need to worry about your front stage the most anyway. Some disagree and like rear fill, but the whole point of music is to reproduce it like you are watching a band in front of you.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2006, 08:30 PM
Brandontrek

the 6x9's come stock on the rear deck of the 02 stratus if i am not mistaken. granted the subs will play with the cone of the 6x9 due to the amount of air they displace, but if he is running a HPF on the 6x9's the effect shouldn't matter that much. he would still have the front door speakers for mid -bass....

habeba86-i agree with you that the front stage is where most of the music should be centered

Old 04-28-2006, 12:58 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

well i just got done with messing with my system and just simply pushing the subs back was the key it sounds so much better now. but i am still goin to have to disagree with you devil on the powering subs and 6x9s on the same amp i have been doing it for yeas with a couple diff amps now and have never had a prob with it infact my roomate is running 1 JL sub and 2 pioneer 6x9s off a kicker 4chn and hes never had any probs. not trying to say ur wrong just saying i have never had a prob with it. and troy are u saying that i shouldnt run 6x9s in my deck since i have subs?? and thanks again for the help guys
Subwoofers need space not only inside the sub box but also on the outside. If they cant push the air out of the subs and suck in air, you lose the bass/power of the sub. That's not the best explanation, but I hate using technical terms.

You can run subs and 6x9's on the same amp. I just dont recommend it. Especially with subs needing so much power to push efficiently. I would run your 6x9's off the stock system pre-amp, or switch your entire interior speakers to an amp all its own.

I'm glad you got it fixed. Something I will suggest is either building your own sub boxes and placing them in the rear corners of the trunk, that way you can retain your trunk space and still get good quality bass. If you dont understand what I mean, have fiberglass boxes built and place them in the corners next to the rear brake lights.

Old 04-28-2006, 01:33 PM
RICHARDS108
Professional

Yea im following ya on the the sub explanation thats like subs 101 im not sure why it didnt dawn on me. the box im using now me and my buddy built. the whole idea behind it was to just fit under the rear deck and right behind the seats and just have the subs point twards the trunk. the box looks good but yea we all know how that worked out lol. so putting them in the corner is a pretty good idea i just may have to look into building those boxes. and thanks again man uve been a ton of help

Quick Reply: Need HELP with my stratus R/T system!!!