Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 05:38 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee

[/align][/align]

Chrysler has revealed the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, featuring an all-new 4.7-liter V8 engine that delivers a 24 percent increase in horsepower, a 6 percent increase in torque and improved fuel economy compared with the engine it replaces.

The 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee also offers a refreshed interior and exterior design and a host of new features, including Sirius Backseat TV and MyGIG Multimedia Infotainment System. The vehicle will arrive at Jeep dealerships starting this fall.

In all, the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee has a choice of five engine offerings: 3.0-liter common rail diesel V6 (available on Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited and Overland), 3.7-liter V6 (standard on Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo), 4.7-liter V8 (standard on Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited), 5.7-liter V8 Hemi (available on Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, standard on Overland), and 6.1-liter Hemi V8 (standard on Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8).

All-new for 2008 is the 4.7-liter V8 engine that offers better fuel economy, power and torque than the previous 4.7-liter engine, while at the same time delivering improvements in refinement.

The new 4.7-liter V8 incorporates two spark plugs per cylinder (the only Chrysler Group engine to do so, other than the 5.7-liter HEMI), increased compression ratio, improved cylinder-head port flow and a new combustion system. The result is 291 horsepower (217kW), a 24 percent increase, and 322 lb.-ft. of torque (437 Nm), a 6 percent increase over the previous 4.7-liter V8 engine. And, like the engine it replaces, the new 4.7-liter V8 engine is flex-fuel capable, which gives customers the ability to use up to an 85 percent concentration of ethanol (E85) to fuel their vehicles.

Improvements in the new 4.7-liter V8 result from significant revisions to the induction system, a lightweight piston/rod assembly and reduced accessory drive noise through lower accessory drive speed. Engine smoothness at idle is enhanced with a new cam design, two spark plugs per cylinder and a valve-lash adjuster system. The new 4.7-liter V8 also is equipped with electronic throttle control.

Also new on the 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee are high-intensity discharge (HID) auto-leveling headlamps. HID auto-leveling headlamps provide approximately three times the light output of conventional reflector lamps for improved nighttime illumination. The auto-leveling feature automatically adjusts the headlamps to the vehicle pitch depending on the load and number of passengers in the vehicle. This feature also benefits oncoming traffic as the system prevents drivers from being distracted by glare from the headlamps. The auto-leveling feature is only available with HID headlamps.

ParkView Rear Back-up Camera (with or without navigation), ParkSense Rear Back-up System, SmartBeam headlamps, rain-sensing wipers, memory seats and mirrors, iPod connectivity and 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels also are part of the vehicle's available features and options.

The Jeep Grand Cherokee also features three new safety and security technologies for 2008: Hill Descent Control, Hill Start Assist and Trailer Sway Control. Hill Descent Control (HDC) is standard on Grand Cherokee 4×4 models. Operational in the "4WD Low" position, HDC provides downhill assistance at a controlled rate of speed. The available Hill Start Assist (HSA) allows the driver time to transition from brake to throttle to achieve a smooth launch on a grade. The system will hold brake pressure for two seconds upon the driver's release of the brake pedal. The ABS system decreases wheel pressure in response to increasing throttle to provide a smooth launch. Trailer Sway Control is optional on all Grand Cherokee models. This system reduces trailer sway and provides improved trailer stability and increased towing safety.

Left Lane News

Old 04-03-2007, 12:16 AM
Hemi_guy
Default RE: 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I think Jeep is making a good choice by adding more engine choices (Especially the Diesel) it'll definately boost sales. I'm also happy to see Jeep expand it's vehicle offerings to cover a whole series of buyer groups.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:05 PM
Kensai
Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am suprised the 3.7 is still around, i would think it would already be replaced with the new 4.0l engine.

Old 04-03-2007, 03:06 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

I'm not sure it'll happen...the 4.0 wasn't developed for trucks...it's being used more in FWD vehicles (the minivans and Pacifica), plus being put in the Nitro. The 3.7, while underpowered, it's a better truck motor. DCX is developing a whole new line of V6 engines that'll probably replace the 3.7 in the new Ram in 2009. Although, there's another rumor that the current 4.0 is going to be dumped in the new Ram, too. I think the best answer is "we'll see."

Old 04-03-2007, 05:17 PM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

we should be getting a pre production fast feedback 08 with the new 4.7 hopefully sometime soon. the interior is what caught my attention.i hate the current ones. we have 2 of them right now one base, one very nicely eqiuped, but they used the same rock solid plastic in both which was one reason i disliked the 05-07. the 3.7 is a joke in the GC too. like it is okay in my liberty, it is enough, but the gc is bigger and heavier and the 3.7L just sucks in there. i am looking forward to the 4.7 though. the new front bumper looks intresting. i am gettign excited. when my dad told me he ordered one he said there was a new engine, but i thought that was the only difference over the 07.

i do not believe the 3.7 will be replaced by the 4.0. the 3.7 is a truck engine. the 4.0 is liek a perforamcne 3.5L. that is why it is in the nitro r/t. the 3.5 was okay in the pacifica butit needs the extra power from the 4.0.

i am curious what chrysler will do with their v6s seeing as how gm has a 300hp 3.6L v6 that probably gets better gas mileage.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:18 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

I forgot that the 4.0 was only in the R/T version of the Nitro. You're right, then, it's purely a performance engine. I guess we'll have to wait a few more years for a new V6...Chrysler is developing a whole new family of V6 engines, for all vehicles, that will start to appear in 2009 or 2010, maybe even 2011. Eventually all current engines'll be replaced by these. They're being called the Phoenix engines. More info on www.allpar.com, which might not be the most reliable source, but has had this info up for quite some time, so they haven't found any reason to discredit it yet.

I, too, am excited for the new 4.7. Shame I just got my Dakota with the existing one...I'll be driving it for quite some time.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:39 PM
RedRam225
Professional

I recently bought a new 2006 Grand Cherokee. It has the 3.7 in it. I hear people say that the engine is too small for the vehicle. I disagree. It is fine for my purposes. It cruises along just fine, and with full time 4x4 it has plenty of pickup. I just wish mine had "4 low", but I guess Jeep wanted a "low price" 4x4 system .

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice pics.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9989/DAC82527CD974FCC9BD61E481E3CCA29.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/9989/CE6DAC8ECB2F4EF3B9818C1E1703E32D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-04-2007, 05:48 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: nickoman01

we should be getting a pre production fast feedback 08 with the new 4.7 hopefully sometime soon. the interior is what caught my attention.i hate the current ones. we have 2 of them right now one base, one very nicely eqiuped, but they used the same rock solid plastic in both which was one reason i disliked the 05-07. the 3.7 is a joke in the GC too. like it is okay in my liberty, it is enough, but the gc is bigger and heavier and the 3.7L just sucks in there. i am looking forward to the 4.7 though. the new front bumper looks intresting. i am gettign excited. when my dad told me he ordered one he said there was a new engine, but i thought that was the only difference over the 07.

i do not believe the 3.7 will be replaced by the 4.0. the 3.7 is a truck engine. the 4.0 is liek a perforamcne 3.5L. that is why it is in the nitro r/t. the 3.5 was okay in the pacifica butit needs the extra power from the 4.0.

i am curious what chrysler will do with their v6s seeing as how gm has a 300hp 3.6L v6 that probably gets better gas mileage.
It may be a little while Nick. The new 4.7 dosen't start production of any sort till may. Pilots are just starting in the next few days.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 PM
suspman

Any info on the new 4.7 heads having the same bolt pattern and header mounting as the old ones? I know the block is supposedly the same. I got head swap floating around my brain.

Quick Reply: 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee