Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Kerkorian bids on chrysler for $4.5 Billion

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 06:36 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kerkorian bids on chrysler for $4.5 Billion

What unreliable trend are you referring to? Most of Chrysler's engines are fine in terms of reliability
Transmissions, my bad..not engines. But the 2.7l can be argued due to stalling, etc. The Crossfire is apparently having transmission issues as is the Hemi 300C with the E-Class Benz tranny. Even the old 300M had it's share. It's said to slam and surge into gear, essentially ripping it apart over time. Even with my older automatic C-Class you can't help to notice the jerking into gears. It's almost as if the car was a stick shift and someone was attempting to drive it with no experience of a manual.

From daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com

From K. Nelson - Hi, I just wanted to let you know that my 2005 Chrysler 300C Hemi just blew its Transmission with a whopping 12,500 miles.

Old 04-08-2007, 08:10 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

Not suprising to me that you would have that site book marked.

Old 04-09-2007, 04:50 AM
jimboscomp
All Star

I'm all up for that! If he made a bid before, then he's most likely wanting to go in a positive route for Chrysler.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
mb18
Record Breaker

Definitely more positive than some of these other investment groups who are looking to buy Chrysler. I think they're intending to cut models, cut dealers, make things "efficient" then resell it to another buyer. Chrysler will be a only a tiny bit of what it is now.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:55 PM
Dakota_24

Lets just hope TOYOTA doesn't get a hold of Chrysler; like has been rumored!

Old 04-10-2007, 03:18 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

I as an emp of Chrysler am very leery of KK buying us. He is known as a corporate tirade. He has acquired and then gutted and flipped various companies. Hopefully that is not his intentions here. I guess we just wait and see.

Toyota? That's a new one. I've heard nothing about that. I can't see that at all. I mean come on we have been trying to copy their system for about 15 years now. And we still can't get it.

Old 04-10-2007, 03:32 AM
clean_sx
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: ViperGTS

What unreliable trend are you referring to? Most of Chrysler's engines are fine in terms of reliability
Transmissions, my bad..not engines. But the 2.7l can be argued due to stalling, etc. The Crossfire is apparently having transmission issues as is the Hemi 300C with the E-Class Benz tranny. Even the old 300M had it's share. It's said to slam and surge into gear, essentially ripping it apart over time. Even with my older automatic C-Class you can't help to notice the jerking into gears. It's almost as if the car was a stick shift and someone was attempting to drive it with no experience of a manual.

From K. Nelson - Hi, I just wanted to let you know that my 2005 Chrysler 300C Hemi just blew its Transmission with a whopping 12,500 miles.
not to mention the P.O.S 4 speed autos in Grand Caravans, total crap, ive beenhopping one in my moms van will blow so she can buy a Good vehicle

Old 04-10-2007, 03:56 PM
Dakota_24

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

I as an emp of Chrysler am very leery of KK buying us. He is known as a corporate tirade. He has acquired and then gutted and flipped various companies. Hopefully that is not his intentions here. I guess we just wait and see.

Toyota? That's a new one. I've heard nothing about that. I can't see that at all. I mean come on we have been trying to copy their system for about 15 years now. And we still can't get it.
Here's the story:

Chrysler is up for sale, boss confirms
April 5, 2007

By Jeremy van Loon

London - DaimlerChrysler chief executive Dieter Zetsche said for the first time yesterday that he was negotiating the sale of Chrysler, preparing to unwind a 1998 merger that foundered in an increasingly competitive US car market.

"We are talking with some of the potential partners who have shown a clear interest," Zetsche said at the company's annual general meeting.

He declined to identify the bidders or disclose details of the talks.

Zetsche said on February 14 that "all options are on the table" for Chrysler, after the unit ended last year with a loss of $1.5 billion (R10.7 billion). "So far, I am satisfied with the process," he added. "Everything is going according to plan."

Chrysler's US market share fell to 12.9 percent last year from 16.1 percent in 1998. Reliance on petrol-guzzling models such as the Dodge Ram pick-up, and the Jeep Commander contributed to the drop as Toyota gained with more fuel-efficient vehicles, including the Prius hybrid.

"We'd be very grateful if DaimlerChrysler got rid of Chrysler," Henning Gebhardt, a fund manager at DWS Investment in Frankfurt, told the meeting. "DWS welcomes the fact that DaimlerChrysler is looking at all options."

Blackstone Group and Centerbridge Capital Partners planned to bid for Chrysler, people familiar with the talks said on Friday. Sources said earlier last month that Cerberus Capital Management andinternational auto maker Toyota of Japan were also potential buyers.

"They've entered a one-way street and it would be hard to reverse direction" on the sale, said Michael Raab, an analyst at Sal Oppenheim, who has a buy rating on the stock. "The market would be disappointed."

Zetsche led the US unit for the five years to September 2005, eliminating 40 000 jobs during his tenure. In February, he said another 13 000 jobs would be cut and a factory in Delaware closed.

The Detroit News reported that Blackstone, Cerberus andToyota had made formal bids to buy Chrysler, citing people familiar with the talks. DaimlerChrysler was expected to pick an exclusive negotiating partner by the end of the month, it added. The car maker was looking to sell the unit for about $8 billion.

Zetsche said his plan for Chrysler included "sustainable" profitability, the best possible option for the employees and making Chrysler competitive. When all options had been reviewed, DaimlerChrysler would choose the "best that meets our criteria".

Chrysler will introduce 20 new models between now and 2009, including 13 refreshed vehicles.

DaimlerChrysler expects a "considerable increase" in profitability over the next three years. Zetsche said in February that the group's vehicle sales would increase slightly this year and that profitability should increase "significantly" over the next two years.

The company will issue a more detailed outlook when first-quarter results are published next month.

Group net income increased 14 percent to e3.2 billion (R30.6 billion) last year. Revenue gained 1 percent to e151.6 billion. - Bloomberg

Old 04-10-2007, 04:34 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Well here is the caw's take on this.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...30/1148/AUTO01

That article was either edited, or altered it should say magna, not toyota.

http://www.busrep.co.za/index.php?fS...icleId=3767342

Old 04-10-2007, 11:29 PM
moparforlife

ORIGINAL: SHAPman

Forgive me, but what exactly is it that Toyota's been doing in terms of a "System" for over 15 years that somehow surpasses a dodge product?

Far as I'm concerned, Toyota's junk. I'll never buy one.

Quick Reply: Kerkorian bids on chrysler for $4.5 Billion