Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Was Chrysler really the problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:08 AM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Was Chrysler really the problem?

ORIGINAL: ptschafer

I saw one of those Smart cars around here outside of a business... the thing was half the size of my Neon.

Unlike Ford or GM, DCX restructured the Chrysler supplier chains way back in the summer of 2001, in anticipation that money would get tight, and they wanted their suppliers to be competitive so they didn't lose money down the road (like how GM and Ford did).

I also remember a couple years back reading about DCX admitting that the Chrysler products were doing well, and the oversees Mercedes sales were down over 45%, which attributed to the loss of overall profit for DCX. I wish I could find that article again...
Yea, I remember reading a few years back (circa 300C coming out) that Chrysler was doing awesome, while it was basically writing the welfare checks for Benz. Sure is funny how when things change, they want to immediatly cut-off the brand they once depended on.
Hopefully they'll get what they deserve.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Exubus
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I'm not aDaimler-Benz fan, but I think Chrysler is in good enough shape today for what Daimler-Benz did to restructure it six years ago... they had the foresight to see that they needed to cut spending and maximize profit potential, while introducing some *****-ier product linesbefore the auto markets went to hell the way they did for Ford and GM. Daimler-Benz did Chrysler a huge favor in that respect, but I still scratch my head at why they try blamingDaimler-Benz's misfortunes on just Chrysler... no matter what though, Chrysler will make it out alive (tarnished or not) and better off than the would have been six or seven years ago.

Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kensai

I think those things would be great for urban intowndriving, but I would not use this too much for long trip use.
But then what happens when people just start throwing up on your car because Smart's are so ugly.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:11 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ptschafer

Don't get me wrong, I'm not aDaimler-Benz fan, but I think Chrysler is in good enough shape today for what Daimler-Benz did to restructure it six years ago... they had the foresight to see that they needed to cut spending and maximize profit potential, while introducing some *****-ier product linesbefore the auto markets went to hell the way they did for Ford and GM. Daimler-Benz did Chrysler a huge favor in that respect, but I still scratch my head at why they try blamingDaimler-Benz's misfortunes on just Chrysler... no matter what though, Chrysler will make it out alive (tarnished or not) and better off than the would have been six or seven years ago.
These changes were already taking place at Chrysler BEFORE the buyout. That made Daimler Benz look at them for expansion of it's ownU.S. sales. Chrysler already had consumer interest with new models and plans for more well before this "savior" entered the picture. You're right though as long as they keep bringing exciting new products to market they'll do just fine without Mercedes to drag them down.

Quick Reply: Was Chrysler really the problem?