Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

A few Challenger rumors...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 09:52 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A few Challenger rumors...

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

we are trying to put together a collection of cars with varying performance levels that all get awful mileage...
Lol, what does the laser get for mileage?

Old 08-13-2007, 10:05 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Altair

ORIGINAL: BadStratRT

we are trying to put together a collection of cars with varying performance levels that all get awful mileage...
Lol, what does the laser get for mileage?
i dont know yet...its got a boost leak, so its not quite right...ie not gone through a whole tank of just street driving...ill probably fill it this week sometime, and see what kind of mileage it gets...im not expecting much. everyone says "the mileage will be good so long as you stay out of the boost", but in my short time driving it, im rarely out of the boost, unless im sitting in the driveway or parking lot, letting it idle for a bit before shutting it down...

Old 08-15-2007, 04:58 PM
deranged
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look for the 08's to be all V/8's. V/6's will come in 09 models. They want to make a strong impression at first with the Hemi Challengers. I think you'll see a limited 6.4 Hemi Challenger also to rival the GT 500.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:20 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hope that youre right...that would be ideal.

Old 08-16-2007, 01:14 AM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But am I still the only one that thinks they cut the hood off too much?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:40 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

I think the challenger's bodystyle is as perfect as anything is ever going to be. They kept that car as true to the original as they could without literally putting the 1970 body shell back into production. Lengthening the hood is only gonna add more weight which will hurt performance. I dont think it'll improve the looks enough to justify that.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:01 AM
HemiDen
Rookie

ORIGINAL: Altair

I can't see a 3.5L V6 in it. Then again I still can't figure out why people actually buy V6 Mustangs, it's a poser car. Seems to me they need a manual available for the first run too...
Altair, I completely agree6 cyl. in a Challenger would not be doing it's namesakeany justice. However, I have to disagree with your commentabout the Mustang and a V6. Original Mustangs offered 6 cylinders and so it ties to the heritage to the Mustang. You have to remember, buyer of Mustang 6clyinders back then were not buying for all-out performance and was served well to both genders, they were buying for a sporty car that was fun to drive and why it did so well in sales.

The Challenger's reputationon the other hand (in my opinion) would not be served well with a 6 cyl as it's history is mostly about performance. But with gas prices being what they are, who knows what Chrysler will actually offer. The MDS in the Hemi's seems to be the answer for now at least.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:04 PM
thestealth
Champion

Even though its history is about performance...the original offered a slant 6 engine...

Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 PM
HemiDen
Rookie

ORIGINAL: thestealth

Even though its history is about performance...the original offered a slant 6 engine...
Agree, that's why I said "mostly". As a diehard fan (and owner) of a Dart-equipped slant 6 coupe, it's longevity is the performance I treasure the most. I still feel the new challenger would be best served with a MDS-equipped V8 for the purists out there. But I wouldn't begrudge Chrysler if they offered a H.O. 6 either... Maybe a straight 6??

Dennis

Old 08-20-2007, 07:57 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Even though Id never in a million years buy a v-6 Challenger, I totally want to see it. I want this car to be a runaway success, just like the Mustang. For Chrysler to go 34 years without a true muscle car is totally unacceptable but this car has to turn a profit for it to stick around. An affordable v-6 version is totally necessary for this to happen.

Quick Reply: A few Challenger rumors...