Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Killing the Viper...

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 03:17 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Killing the Viper...

Most of what you say is true.

The price though, it really is not any higher. When you factor in the original price (about 55K)with inflation it is about 76K. So it did go up, just not as much as it may appear on paper. Most of the cost difference is taking the car from its original rootsto a car with "frills". Glass, AC, power options, ect (all weight items). Shelby was unhappy with the weight during development, I am sure he really became upset after 96+. They only newer Viper I would buy is a 99 ACR, not for more power, not for the GTS, but I like rare cars, and that is rare. That is one of those cars that if the Viper stopped production and you had it sitting on a Barrett Jackson block in 2025 it could pull good money, with or without miles!

I like to think the engine changes in 08 were in preperation to slap on a SC (forged internals). Whether that happens or the new powers decided to find performance improvement other places has yet to be determined. We will know in 10 or 11.

As for stopping it all together, I do not care. If they do it will benefit me in the long run. And for those without one the current owners will sell eventually. The other side is if they stop making it they will eventually replace it with something else, so if you want new there is also no need to worry.

Old 01-13-2008, 10:02 AM
Jviper
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Next Viper might be called Nissan Viper. Based on the GTR platform. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22489611/

Old 01-13-2008, 10:15 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

where in the article does it say that? i just skimmed it, but i didnt see any mention of the viper...

Old 01-13-2008, 10:26 AM
Bionicrooster
Professional

You gota remember too they have to do whatever is neccassary to fix Chrysler, and if axing the viper helps, I am all for it.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:25 AM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

I'm not a heavy duty Viper fan, but I respect it...as does the entire auto industry (as the original article editors reference as well). I do see such a cancelation as a very troubling. I'm willing to remain loyal to Dodge/Chrysler as long as they reflect their heritage (of which, performance and reliability) were visceral to the company...no better illustrated in the modern era than with the Viper. If Cerbreus just keeps whacking away and ultimately build hybrid/Nissan crap then in my book it is no longer Dodge/Chrysler anyway.

Hope they don't

Old 01-13-2008, 06:08 PM
scatpackmopar
Veteran

If they kill of the Viper I won't be heart broken. I have seen a very few Vipers on the street anyways. But if they do kill it they should replace it with a high production sports car to take it's place like a new Dodge Stealth. I am still ticked that Chrysler killed the Neon without a true replacement. How many updated Neons would have been sold by now?

Old 01-13-2008, 06:28 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

The Viper as it is today is way outdated. Looks alone do not a supercar make. I'm very happy with my SRT-4 but I know Dodge will never make another vehicle like it, so I will have to look elsewhere. (Assuming I get the road to my property graded).......The newWRX/STi comes to mind but with a $35000 price tag.

Dusty

Old 01-14-2008, 11:28 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldnt say that dodge will never make another car like it, as the neon is really the modern day GLHS... but the caliber wasnt a good replacement for the neon. im not trying to bash the caliber at all, but it doesnt fill the market segment left empty by the neon.

Old 01-14-2008, 09:16 PM
ViperGTS
Banned

The Viper as it is today is way outdated.
Interior component quality and no navi screen yes, but as far as the engine or not having ABS I wouldn't agree. How is it outdated?

Old 01-15-2008, 03:30 PM
vipersforsale
Record Breaker

Hey guys, I am as big a fan of the Viper as the next, and I have had the opportunity to have driven them and been around them since about 1994. But as said before... it is time for it to go. I doesnt command the same respect as it once did and besides I think tht Chrysler should refocus its attention on more exciting models like the Challanger for instance. After all it has the potential to be a Viper killer anyway and it is about $40K cheaper. And its more of an icon to Dodge anyway than the Viper could ever hope to be. Wouldnt you rather them bring back these retro rods with all the hi-po goodies that current tech allows but still be practical street cars. I mean the Viper isnt a comfortable car to be in for more than about an hour or so much less driving one in rush hour traffic. I have drivin one in the x-mas parade here in Dallas one year and it was murder on my calf muscle... having to only get to go about 5 miles an hour for about 50 feet then having to stop(it was like that the whole parade, stop go stop go...etc). That was the reason I never liked the older body style Mustangs with their extremely stiff clutches.

At this point I would be suprised if killing off the Viper program will be enough to save Chrysler anyway. But anyway you look at it, the 3-headed hell-hound is going to have to do some drastic stuff to turn Chrysler around again enough to be profitable. We will be lucky if there even is a Chrysler in 5 years.

*add* yes its full of mispellings but I am too lazy to correct them... thats what happens when my fingers are faster than my brain

Quick Reply: Killing the Viper...