Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Dodge to Produce Track Ready Challenger!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:16 PM
03neonRT
Grand Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge to Produce Track Ready Challenger!!

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-to...per-stock.html

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/01/30/r...ge-weeks-away/

The best part of all...its 800lb's lighter!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 PM
batman13
Grand Champion
Default RE: Dodge to Produce Track Ready Challenger!!

i've seen this before, not in any detail
my question is , will it be street ready?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:18 AM
scg87
Veteran

If they can make this 800lbs lighter than the street variant, then there is NO reason why the street version can't weigh 300lbs lighter than it does. Automakers really need to get their act together and stop making such ridiculously heavy cars....[:'(][:@]

Old 01-31-2008, 11:18 AM
dakota2112
Rookie

I like how I posted this information yesterday morning via link to allpar, and my post mysteriously vanished after it was just a few minutes old. What's up with that.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:45 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i emailed you and told you exactly why it was deleted.

id like to see some official word on this...according to those posts, they are still rumors, that came from allpar...

things like production numbers, cost, etc...

Old 01-31-2008, 02:21 PM
dodgebrothers
Veteran

I had seen somewhere else on this forum (I believe) where Chrysler execs werequoted as saying it will NOT be street legal...for whatever that is worth...

If that is true, my hope at a minimum would be that would could get our hands on (via Mopar Performance) the electronics to the race version so the street ones might be a bit more aggressive for us.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:14 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Just like in the '60s, some people will take their new 2008 Dodge Challengers to the drags.
That must be a typo considering the first year for the Challenger was in 1970, not the 60's...

Oh, and, There bringing back the 5.9 magnum???? I thought the LA series engines were long gone!! Woot Woot!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:58 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: dodgebrothers

I had seen somewhere else on this forum (I believe) where Chrysler execs werequoted as saying it will NOT be street legal...for whatever that is worth...

If that is true, my hope at a minimum would be that would could get our hands on (via Mopar Performance) the electronics to the race version so the street ones might be a bit more aggressive for us.
That sounds more probable, an off road full competition version (R) like the Viper GTS-R. It would most likely cost around $80,000-$100,000 for a full blown road racing version. Maybe it is a next generation Challenger T/A. It sure does sound good either way.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i dont care if they make some ridiculous race only package, as it will cost a fortune. how many GTS-R vipers have any of you seen? i think that ive seen 4 of them, ever. "hey cool..a 100,000 challenger that runs in the 11s"...? what a deal...and yes, 11s. do the math. the concept weighs 4160lbs...im not sure if thats dry or shipping...if its shipping, the SS will weigh around 3360lbs...and have 525hp if it comes with the 6.4L engine, as it was displayed and tested with? so its a slightly heavier vehicle than the early srt10 vipers, with a little more power and a set up better geared for drag racing...so maybe it will run 10s. you can build a DAMN fast drag car for 100,000.

for those who havent seen the concept challenger SS up close, very little of it is shared with the concept challenger rt that weve been seeing for years now. it has a built auto trans, dana rearend/solid axle...i gota chance to poke around the concept SS at the museu earlier this year, and i was disappointed to see how little of the car is mechanically similar to the concept street version. i believe that the car had a 727 mopar transmission...i cant recall now, but it didnt have a current issue production transmission.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't much care for the SS, the idea sounds better than what they're showing. The only one's the full blown factory race cars are built for are the high dollar pro racers. I've seen around about a dozen GTS-R's, give or take 2, but then again I've enjoyed some time at Mid-Ohio watching the American Le Mans which is why.

Quick Reply: Dodge to Produce Track Ready Challenger!!