Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

event data recorders

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 09:55 PM
onlyinadodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: event data recorders

Pretty much all OBD II vehicles over the last few years have this. It's all logged in the computer, and can be accessed by a technician. They also track every "irregularity" that is encountered, kinda like the stuff that sets off a check engine light, but not drastic enough to trip the light.
Event data recorders(EDR) are differant than powertrain control modules(PCM). The PCM controls and engine and transmission functions. They only record data when a fault is recognized and a technician can only retrieve the info that is recorded. Scan tools for this purpose are available anywhere. EDR records data in the event of a crash and usually only on air bag deployment. If the program is not triggered to record then nothing is retrievable. Special equipment is required to access EDR info. These tools are not available to the general repair shops.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:23 AM
dodgeguy27

Thanks for the post onlyinadodge.

One thing this old guy would like to tell you, though. Don't believe the crap about building safer cars because of edr's. Thats Detroit and Washington b. s. The US government and the automakers have hundreds of thousands of vehicles in their own inventory that they can install edrs on. The can get far more data than they need with their own vehicles.

What the issue is about is LIABILITY. The automakers have tons of lawsuits now because airbags didn't go off with side impact (early models weren't designed to go off in a side impact crash), they went off and hurt a kid or small woman, or whatever reason the lawyers thought up. The edrs give the automakers the technical information they need to defend themselves in a court of law against YOU. And YOU paid for the edr that could send you to jail.

Don't get me wrong. I'm on the manufacturers side. But it is superceded by FREEDOM. No car can be built 100% safe or right every time. We can try, but if humans are involved, it ain't gonna happen. When I buy a car, I don't want government or automaker installed spy devices. And I sure as hell, don't want to pay for them.

The answer to this problem is to have freedom minded people on juries, with cases thrown out when they should be, and REASONABLE rewards when they are deserved.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:43 AM
dodgeguy27

Hi Ramfan5.9,

About ripping the edr out, as the vehicles get newer, they tie more and more information in them, and it gets more and more complicated taking them out. If you take them out in most vehicles mfg. today, the airbags may fail, lights and ding dings go on the dash, and other systems may fail also. It voids your warrantee, the sh**heads in Washington can fine you $2750, and the potful of money you spent on airbags was wasted. They do all this cause you wanted to modify YOUR car, not one owned by the scum in Washington. WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PROPERTY RIGHTS IN THIS COUNTRY? GEORGE WASHINGTON WOULD TURN OVER IN HIS GRAVE.

I don't know about your Ram, but if you put in your search engine "event data recorder" several sites come up that will tell you which cars have it. Just don't try it with a new car, I checked the lists on two new ones, a Navigator and a Durango, and they both were negative on the lists but were both shipped with edr's.

Hope you make your voice known in Detroit and Tokyo. Its time freedom loving people took back this country.

Dodgeguy27

Old 03-15-2005, 06:32 PM
ramfan5.9
Hall Of Fame

JMO but personally i dont like airbags..yea they can help but i dont liek them i dunno why

Old 03-21-2005, 05:28 AM
casper
Legend

I read something somewhere that US cars have airbags that come out 10 times faster than cars shipped in europe. Their airbags come out a lot slower and still work just fine. EDR suck, but what can you really do about it?

Old 03-21-2005, 02:36 PM
Silverquad02

I am not an authority on this subject....just passing the word from the mouth of friends of friends to this forum on this subject.

The word is...DCX uses EDR's...they are proprietary to DCX only...meaning only DCX can access the information on their EDRs and distribute it if court mandated. This is contrast to GM and Ford who use an EDR that has an aftermarket scanner for the EDR. This aftermarket scanner is what allows insurance companies to get the information on your EDR. Apparently GM has been using EDR's for some time...since like the mid 90's. My earpieces are folks who deal with safety restraints for all car companies.

DCX's EDRs tied into the airbag module and the entire restraint system would be compromised if removed.

Primary and I am sure stated purpose for the EDR is to learn from accidents and use the data to improve vehicle safety. Real world data is invaluable......but don't kid yourself....it will be used to defend DCX from liability if necessary.

Also, US safety regs are vastly different from European regs. Biggest difference...not wearing seatbelt...the car manufacture is not at fault, and case dismissed. First question asked on the scene. Another...US measures forces on the occupant...EU measures displacement of the occupant.

Quick Reply: event data recorders