Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

First Photo Of Detroit's New Muscle Car Threesome!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 12:46 AM
Exubus
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DevilsReject
Currently, the only V6 options for GM as a coupe are the G6, Camaro (next year) and the Monte Carlo which is being discontinued after the 09 model per GM. Doesnt leave anything desirable there.....

Chrysler has only 1 coupe with a V6 and that is the Sebring convertible...

Ford has the Mustang....

And that's about it....for V6 coupes....

GM has a couple of coupes that are 4 cylinders and turbo'd, Chrysler has none, and Ford has none as well....

I wont count Mazda because its not Ford...
Sounds like a good case to me to resurrect a new 2-door Neon SRT4

Old 09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Still doesnt add any V6's in there....and honestly, they need something AFFORDABLE...

My understanding is the RS Camaro will go for about 21k with 300hp.....

That's affordable..

The acceleration numbers we pulled on the 2009 Challenger SE with its mandatory four-speed automatic transmission were as unimpressive as you would expect from a 3,819-pound car with a 250-hp engine. Zero to 60 takes 8.1 seconds. The SE eats up 16.1 seconds traveling through the quarter-mile.

Chevrolet is estimating that the V6 Camaro can get to 60 mph in 6.1 seconds and complete the quarter in 14.4 seconds. That's with either the standard six-speed manual or the optional six-speed automatic.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Because the Challenger is a FATTY on a SEDAN platform and its GAY.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Exubus
Champion

The V6 Challenger has a best 0-60 in 8.1, and a 1/4-mile in 16.1? If I was Chrysler I wouldn't let anyone even breathe a word of those numbers... wow, shave some weight, re-tune the motor... SOMETHING. Hell, my 4-door 2.0 Neon ran through those numbers before...

I am actually looking forward to pulling up to some cocky kid in a V6 Challenger now with the Neon... this could be funny for me.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

and embarrassing for Chrysler.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:32 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Whatre the horsepower numbers on the 4.0L V-6 from the Nitro? Isnt it something like 260 or so? Seems thatd be a better match for the car.

But just the same: Even though it may be underpowered, if I had a $20K-ish budget Id buy a V-6 version of ANY of these cars before Id allow myself to be seen in a sedan.

Old 09-08-2008, 12:48 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Maybe I should have kept my SRT-4 just a little while longer........(nah, winter will be here in the SLV in less than a month......)

Dusty

Old 09-09-2008, 12:20 AM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Originally Posted by IowaNeon04
I get the idea, but I think Chase's point was that driving a 2-door "sports car," like a V6 Mustang or Firebird, Camaro, etc... and getting you butt kicked by a 2.7-liter V6 4-door family sedan is just plain ridiculous.

IMO, the cars weigh too much for the wimpy V6 powerplants that were/are offered in them. It takes a lot of the sport out of the idea of the V8 powerhouses that used to flaunt these cars on a regular basis back in the old days.
You're absolutely right. But you also have to look at this from the business side. If there's no base model for an affordable price, then the good ones will be priced in the stratosphere. You have to sell bread and butter cars in order to finance the REAL ones. $30K-ish for the R/T is a relative bargain for the car you get these days. But if all you have to spend is $20K then thats that. And without the V-6 model to retain that same sale and make some profits then the R/T would likely be in the high $40K range which puts it off the menu for more people. The SRT-8? Good luck. If you can afford $60K for a Chally then you can afford $80K for a viper and then youre talking canibalized sales.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:35 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper

A powerful R/T I can live with... but not V6.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:56 AM
Exubus
Champion

I could live with an V6 as long as it was a powerplant like in the Stealth RT/TT's... than I would bite on it for performance.

Quick Reply: First Photo Of Detroit's New Muscle Car Threesome!