Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

chrysler merger/ acquistion by GM

Old 10-28-2008, 07:57 PM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
Isuzu builds damned good diesel engines. My brother has a ¾-ton 1st Gen Duramax 4-door truck that hauls 9,000lbs like nothing.
9000 is nothing, the combined is maxed out at like 22000 or 23000 look up txchristopher money maker video, maxed out the duramax cant keep up with a 24 valve even in small hills

Old 11-17-2008, 09:41 PM
justanothermoparman
Veteran

i don't think that a U.S. company should sell out to a Japanes company yet alone a forein company, We need to keep the U.S.money and economy at home!!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:39 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by justanothermoparman
i don't think that a U.S. company should sell out to a Japanes company yet alone a forein company, We need to keep the U.S.money and economy at home!!
News flash -- we're in a global economy. You're talking about Protectionism, which does more harm than good.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:42 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
News flash -- we're in a global economy. You're talking about Protectionism, which does more harm than good.
In theory, you're right. But while it may well be a global economy, its far from a level playing field. When we first started importing cars from germany and japan after WWII we lightened up the tariffs on their stuff well below what we could sell ours for over there. That was to help them get on their feet. To my knowledge, the difference between an american car being sold in Germany and vice versa is fairly comparable. But the Japanese automakers still have the same sweetheart deal they were getting in the 50's. And just because Toyota builds stuff here doesnt make it an american product. Yes, they do provide jobs and they should be commended for doing so. BUT, all the profits are going overseas. AND theyre not burdened by the unions either.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grungerockjeeper
In theory, you're right. But while it may well be a global economy, its far from a level playing field. When we first started importing cars from germany and japan after WWII we lightened up the tariffs on their stuff well below what we could sell ours for over there. That was to help them get on their feet. To my knowledge, the difference between an american car being sold in Germany and vice versa is fairly comparable. But the Japanese automakers still have the same sweetheart deal they were getting in the 50's. And just because Toyota builds stuff here doesnt make it an american product. Yes, they do provide jobs and they should be commended for doing so. BUT, all the profits are going overseas. AND theyre not burdened by the unions either.
All of the profits are not going overseas. They're used to improve and modernize the plants over here. Otherwise, you are correct, they're not burdened by the Unions.

And I will say it again, Protectionism NEVER WORKS.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:07 PM
hemihead6.1
Cool Weak chevy engines would not do dodge justice

Come on I have had 3 dodge trucks and no oil leaks after many miles. I have had 4 chevy's and they all leaked oil and two of them had main bearing knocks just waiting to lock up. The last one was check the gas and fill up with oil. I think the American people are fed up with high priced junk.You can only lie for so long and now it has caught with GM. That is why Toyota will be my next truck if they merge. also Dodge is a better built truck than ford or chevy in my opinion. I have not owned a toyota yet but almost. The one I wanted was 47000.00 and scared me over to the dodge which was on sale for 26500.00 that was a no brainer. It is time vehicles came down they are way to overpriced. I do not want to see any of the big 3 to fail but I believe they could build better trucks and cars and get better mileage. Oh yea and go back to rear wheel drive or all wheel drive the Japs have got front wheel drive perfected the big 3 just ain't got it. Believe me I am a mechanic and I hate front wheel drive that is why I do not work on them. oh well enuff gripping just my opinion.

Old 11-29-2008, 11:40 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker

"Oh yea and go back to rear wheel drive or all wheel drive the Japs have got front wheel drive perfected the big 3 just ain't got it." I would beg to differ. I, too, am a certified tech and I think the Big 3 have had a good handle on front wheel drive. Buick has probably been the best example of the big three doing it right. Chrysler has wisely decided that fwd is a dead end street and moved back to rwd. What the Japanese have going for them is the unpaid PR firm called the American news media who constantly say how great the Japanese cars are and how bad the American cars are. The media template has been, for at least 40 years, everything American is bad and we need to copy the Japanese or Germans or (fill in the non-American country). The sad fact is that the baby-boomers were raised in the 60's when being anti-American made them feel more "anti-establishment". For example (yes this again), when I was a Toyota tech, we had a huge recall of 89-93 Camry's. The power door lock/power window relays were combined on a single mount and would over heat and catch fire under the dash. The cars would burn and there was no manual way to unlock the doors (which is what we did under warranty-add a bypass rod and connector to the door lock) the result was that several elderly burned to death because they couldn't break the glass of the window. The news media ignored it. Around that same time, NBC news added ignitors to the fuel tanks of Chevy pickups to give the impression that the Chevy was a flaming death trap. GM successfully sued NBC, but the damage was already done.

Last edited by mantisman51; 11-29-2008 at 11:41 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-01-2008, 11:32 PM
hemihead6.1

Amen brother chevy has lied for years and I worked in a machine shop I know there blocks and heads are crap. I went to the wrecking yard the other day.The only DODGE truck I could find for a door handle was a totaled truck that hit a tree. I couldn't count all thew chevy trucks that were not wrecked they simply was broke down or flipped about 10 were wrecked but most just did not have engines bodies still in working condition as for as the bodies go for a crappy chevy. Dodge just needs more power hitters like the chalenger and bring back the plymouth road runner or the cuda. Hey just venting thanks for being a smart mopar man.

Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 PM
hemihead6.1
Smile japs make great komma kozzie pilots may have been toyota

Hey I agree with you but do they still make buicks? I hateto hear that innocent people burneed alive in there toyota. I think that should be enuff to boot them out of the counrty for terrisom.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chrysler merger/ acquistion by GM