Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

chrysler merger/ acquistion by GM

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blyttle72
With that said, I would rather see Chrysler go to an American company instead of going overseas again.
Which is why I was initially happy but then I thought about the fact that they would keep much around. They'd keep Jeep and prolly Dodge with a lot less vehicles.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:35 PM
RailroadMan
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Better GM than Ford. They're putting a 6sp auto trans in the Sierra/Silverado for 2009 - would improve mileage in the Rams. Are GMC transmissions any better than the Mopar product?

Seems to me Ford cheapens everything they buy.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:45 PM
ried69
Record Breaker

One good thing is that GM when you let off the gas, the RPMs actually drop. But while this would be my two favorite companies as one, it would still be bad. GM would own like 60-65% of the automotive market. So if they could get rid of Ford, then they could jack prices up quite a bit. Toyotas are expensive as it is, so GM could jack it up to still be just a little cheaper than Toyota.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:34 PM
gumijagr

GM is gonna suck all the creative energy out of chrysler.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:52 PM
srtgtr34
Record Breaker

If this were to happen chysler would loose alot of loyal owners like myself and my family. I have never liked gm, bland styling and IMO has designs that are greatly influenced by other car manufacturers. I would rather see the company go down with its dignity than have them taken over,I mean I love dodge's and wish they would always be around, but if they get taken over you can say goodbye to their uniqueness in their cars and their awesome concepts.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:50 AM
Exubus
Champion

I keep seeing "bad idea," ...

I think we all have to realize how much these companies are losing their *** right now. The markets are turned upside-down right now... no one knows what to do, all they know is they are scared... so everyone is selling their stock off and leaving everyone out to dry.

I don't like this anymore than the next guy, but I am trying to keep a positive outlook on it.

Don't look at it from a "Oh, GM will win and take it over" perspective... look at it from a "Man, if they don;t do this, BOTH companies may lose their ***, and get bought out by China" perspective. Nothing racist or political about... the bottom line is, if they don't explore all of their possibilities, including this one... Chrysler and GM may BOTH fail. I think whatever Chrysler has to do to make it, and for the sake of the American workers, GM as well, then so be it.

Just my cents. Some things are more important than just brand loyalty... things like making sure your neighbor who works at the Chrysler or GM plant still has a job to go to to support his/her family.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:08 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would be OK with it. GM and Dodge are the only two of the big three I would buy new.

They would not eliminate every vehicle, but they certainly would trim the lineup. I would also take a stab and say Dodge or Chrysler may die and one would remain along with Jeep.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:31 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by lxman1
If this happens, it's back to Ford for me. I want nothing to do with GM!!
Out of seven full size 4x4 pickups I've owned in my life (5 purchased new), I've had one Jeep, two Fords, two GM's and two Dodge's.
The only absolute nightmare vehicle was a Ford, purchased new and the customer service of Ford left such a bad taste in my mouth, I'll never own a Ford again...

I agree with Lance, the one constant is going to be Jeep. Back before the Cerberus deal, every time I read something regarding Chrysler being for sale, EVERYBODY was trying to buy the Jeep division by itself. If they don't completely mismanage it, as I think they are doing done lately, it should always be a profit maker...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 10-12-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:03 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it may happen, but a merger with Nissan is also likely

it will be a bad thing to merge with GM

it is true that it would be better than combining with Ford,
but a merger with Nissan would be preferable from an engineering point of view

Old 10-12-2008, 10:35 AM
jstmahoney
Captain

No way, they can't let a 100+ year old American Company die out and turn into a Japanese company. at least that's my opinion.

Quick Reply: chrysler merger/ acquistion by GM