Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Remember Chrysler's 2.99 Gas Guarantee?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 09:59 AM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it was right around the time i bought my truck with close to 8k off sticker in incentives. 5k dealer allowance and a 3k dollar loyalty discount. it was that or the 2.99.

Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LowSlowNeon
Gas won't be under 3 bucks for more then the winter, so I don't think people will be that pissed about it. And I don't think Chrysler lost too much, if anything, with the 2.99 gas guarantee as they were not running other promotions at the time, so the discount in fuel pretty much just took the place of other promotions they run. As the fuel thing was on a limited number of gallons.
Don't count on it. I knew the oil market wouldn't hold and the traders have fled the oil market. If the dollar continues to rise, the price of oil will drop further.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:24 AM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

YEA i want it to stay down but dont plan to bbet on any of this

tho i hope that you are right vwanddodge

Old 10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
mcdcwilliams
Record Breaker

just wait until hyperinflation. Then 2.99 gas is gonna look real good.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
Exubus
Champion

Originally Posted by mcdcwilliams
just wait until hyperinflation. Then 2.99 gas is gonna look real good.
Not necessarily... it would be one thing if we were losing our asses and the rest of the world was doing just fine (like what was feared a few weeks ago). But since this is turning into a GLOBAL problem and not just a U.S. problem, it actually isn't a huge effect. As of this morning, the value of our currency has risen by another 2.5%, because the rest of the world markets have dropped like a rock today. Our stock market has held relatively stable this morning.

That being said, as long as the WORLD economy stays in the crapper, and oil demand stays low, then that will help combat inflation and oil will remain cheap (well cheaper than it has been).

And with Chrysler... their little $2.99 gas deal isn't that huge of a loss for them. If you figure out the $1 a gallon difference it could be, multiplied by how many gallons of gas will be purchased by the customer on average, and then compare that to the extra incentives and rebates that Chrysler DIDN'T OFFER when they sold vehicles under the gas "deal," ... you will see that most of it still works out in their favor, like any other promotion.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:24 PM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder if the guy who thought up the $2.99 gas card
is now one of the 25% of Chrysler salaried employees
getting laid off?

It does look like it will work out well for Chrysler,
and it did sell several tens of thousands of cars
at a time it was really needed

Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

GM tried the same gimmick in the early 1990's when gas prices shot up and it bit them in the a$$ when prices dropped.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:29 PM
bruno426
Captain

Originally Posted by Jr. Mechanic
Bet the people that went for that are pissed, with gas being under $2.40 in post places.

Btw, didn't think this belonged in brand news since I don't have an article...
Well keep in mind that that incentive only includes a certain number of miles per year, if you are like my uncle, who drives alot, then you have already used the 2.99 incentive for the year. Besides, drivers of these vehicle are not required to purchase gas at that price, the way I look at it, I think that the fuel will probably go up after elections, and then if they bought without the card, then they still have miles left before the end of the what was it two years after purchase.

I belive that the incentive included like 11000 miles each year, and then you pay regular price. For a person like me that is okay, I drive 14 miles round trip each day. For my uncle who drive 60 miles one way to work each day, and more during free time, 11,000 isn't much

Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 AM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben D.
it was right around the time i bought my truck with close to 8k off sticker in incentives. 5k dealer allowance and a 3k dollar loyalty discount. it was that or the 2.99.
Same here. It was much cheaper than losing 5K in discounts, not to take the gas deal!!

Quick Reply: Remember Chrysler's 2.99 Gas Guarantee?