Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Warranty's if Chrysler goes Bankrupt.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:05 PM
Doc Holliday1863
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well its sure not looking good for those of us who have warrenties on our Chrysler GM vehicles, i just heard on the news tonight if ChryslerGM file bankruptcy the government wont back anyones warrenty unless they have bought their new vehicle durring the restructsureing period and that just started yesterday March 30th 2009.
I own a Dodge Grand Caravan and a 2007 PT Crusier and have extended warrenties on both of them so this leaves alot of us between a rock and a hard place.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Meltdo...-14789802.html

[/URL] guess we have to keep our fingers cossed and hope for no bankruptcy (:

Last edited by Doc Holliday1863; 03-31-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: i want to insert a url
Old 03-31-2009, 10:35 PM
Trigger
Professional

I hate to burst your bubble, but Doc is right. When (not if) Chrysler goes bankrupt, there won't be any warranty on your vehicle.

My prediction? By summertime, Chrysler LLC will only be a fading memory.

Think of it this way. They merged with one of the most powerful European auto manufactures', Diamler. And Chrysler screwed that up.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, they've got to convince someone that their worth the money.
Cerberus didn't want to shovel money into them, they've got the money, and they OWN Chrysler!! That's a point a Congressman brought up during the hearings in December.

It should be noted that, the financial issues within these auto companies is not a direct result of the recession. GM and Chrysler have been losing money for years. The recession officially started in December 2007. So, to use the scapegoat of "the recession," "mortgage crisis," and "poor people" is incorrect, and narrow minded. The problem is much deeper, and older than that.

Being overburdened with union costs (health care, retiree, hourly cost, etc etc), images being tarnished, and being way too slow to adapt to new consumer demands. Or, even when they put stuff out, people don't want to buy it.
When the price of gas started going up, they stuck their thumbs up their butts and basically hoped for their business to do good.
Hell, Chrysler replaced the Neon with the Caliber... which gets less MPGs. Because *that* makes sense when the price of gas is sky rocketing.

Back on subject, hope that whatever happens, your guys' warranties will still be honored, somehow.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:06 AM
big.bryant
Champion

i guess lifetime warranty isn't that great of a selling point anymore...

Old 04-01-2009, 02:22 AM
emawk

Originally Posted by big.bryant
i guess lifetime warranty isn't that great of a selling point anymore...
Only if you're an American automaker.

Old 04-01-2009, 04:47 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trigger
I hate to burst your bubble, but Doc is right. When (not if) Chrysler goes bankrupt, there won't be any warranty on your vehicle.

My prediction? By summertime, Chrysler LLC will only be a fading memory.

Think of it this way. They merged with one of the most powerful European auto manufactures', Diamler. And Chrysler screwed that up.
Their only screwup there was merging. They had the "merger of equals" and as soon as they were out of the spotlight and behind the curtains Daimler bent Chrysler over the counter and raped them. Go back and look at everything that went down with Daimler at the helm.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Trigger
Professional

Originally Posted by Altair
Their only screwup there was merging. They had the "merger of equals" and as soon as they were out of the spotlight and behind the curtains Daimler bent Chrysler over the counter and raped them. Go back and look at everything that went down with Daimler at the helm.
Enlighten me. I'm not being a smart ***. I want to know what happened.

The way I see it, Diamler is the parent company of Mercedes-Benz. That's Mercedes-Benz for crying out loud. Chrysler's net worth should have shot off the charts with that merger. It should have been one of the most powerful auto companies in the world.

What went wrong?

Old 04-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well before the merger Chrysler was one of the lowest-cost highest profit automakers in the industry, $12 billion cash on hand. I can't find links to all the stuff I've read about it right now, there's a lot of information about it scattered throughout other articles on allpar. Some of the changes they made in quality control at the factory level actually contributed to reduced quality. They sucked some cash out of Chrysler too. The technology and platforms they did share were outdated Mercedes tech, not current. When they were sold to Cerberus Lee Iaccoca (Who spearheaded Chrysler's return to life in the 80's) wrote an article for business week: http://www.businessweek.com/autos/co...TOKEN=32903737

Old 04-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Doc Holliday1863

I never followed the mergers and stuff all i ever knew was that Chrysler made good cars and trucks and was a viable company. This last year seems like the bottom fell out of everything and all these companies are broke.
I called the sales Manager where i bought my Dodge Grand Caravan and my PT Crusier today and all he would say is " it is'nt going to happen".....i expected as much because i dont think these guys know any more than we do they are hopeing for the best like the rest of us.
There is'nt one positive thing that i have heard or read about Chrysler GM not going in to bankrupcy, i suppose we might hear something Friday about Chrysler GM in regaurds to what they are going to do.
I'm sitting on nearly $6000.00 worth of extended warrenties that i have on both vehicles and if Chrysler is'nt going to honor them then they should atleast have to refund the price i paid for them.....but then again how does one get juice out of a turnip.
Things could allways be worse i feel sorry seeing all these home forclosures and people getting tossed out into the streets.......Fortunetly my home is paid for.....it was a long hard 30 years without missing one payment "Thank GOD"
Have a good week everyone here in the forum

Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

It stinks, I bought 3 new Dodges last year to take advantage of the lifetime powertrain warranty. If they fail, it will be worthless.

Quick Reply: Warranty's if Chrysler goes Bankrupt.