Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler says it will close 789 dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
Brummo
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jhedger
My dealer made the cut, thank goodness, I did not want to use the other dealer across town. Nice thing is, this should get rid of the worst of the dealerships, the none five star dealers and the under-performing ones.

Unfortunatly, my 5 star is going. Can't believe they would get rid of any 5 star dealers.
At least there are two in the 30 mile radius of where I am. But do I really want to get service from a dealer I didn't buy from? Guess I have no choice.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:12 PM
fourseven

Unfortunately for me, the dealership my dad works at is getting the axe. Doubly unfortunate for me is that his dealership has an excellent service department. I shudder to think about having to take my truck to another dealer in town, nevermind the financial strain this puts on my folks.

FWIW, his dealership is a 5 Star dealer.

Old 05-14-2009, 07:19 PM
mp8075

Mine didn't make the cut. It's unfortunate in that it was right across the freeway from my work. The service access was easy. Now I have to drive across town. Oh well, at least there are other options without having to drive too far.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:12 PM
qicvick
Professional

Mine got cut! Frank Kent in Ft.Worth, they also have a Frank Kent Cadillac, an Frank Kent Hummer, F.K. Honda, and I believe a F.K. buick and Pontiac in town, they were on the news and seemed pretty bitter about it (rightly so) they said Chrysler came to they 1.5 years ago to buy out another dealer in town and even offered cash to them, Chrysler is not going to buy back his inventory which he said was in the millions so they will be auctioned off to other dealers well below cost and they are not autherized to work on any chrysler products,I remember just a couple months ago Chrysler was begging dealers to buy more than they needed, I love my truck but the way they are treating their loyal dealers makes me nervous about how they will treat me if they can get away with it

Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine is A-O-K. I bet they end up with Jeep as well!

The oldest family owned Dodge dealer is going.....

http://www.tatorsdodge.com/index.html

Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 PM
Shumdit
Professional

Originally Posted by MOPWR2U
What the deal was, if a dealership was selling less than 40 new Dodge's a month they were closed. It was strictly a business (financial) decision by Chrysler. The fact that our local Dodge dealership had been in business for 75 years, and that Dodge was the only brand vehicle they have ever sold had nothing to do with it.

I'm not moving to a big city, so Dodge just lost future business from one of their best customers. This decision has effectively turned the Dodge brand into a city boy truck, which is a shame. It may take a few years, but the number of Dodge trucks that are operated on farms and ranches around the country is going to decrease dramatically.
You are correct that it was a business decision, but the 40 car a month issue is not correct. There are dealers who were selling less than 40 a month on average who will survive and there are dealers who averaged over 40 a month who are going to be cut. Sales volume is a factor to be sure, but there are other issues on the table. A lot of it is trying to combine dealers under the old Genesis program, which will make those dealers stronger. Oddly enough, I am not in a huge area, but there are about 7 DODGE dealers within an hours drive of us if my math is correct and none were cut. I have not really looked to see if there are also some Chrysler or Jeep dealers within that same area that are not also a Dodge dealer, but it seems within the last 5 years most of the local dealers had already combined into the full DCJ lineup following Plymouths demise.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:25 PM
Shumdit
Professional

Originally Posted by fourseven
Unfortunately for me, the dealership my dad works at is getting the axe. Doubly unfortunate for me is that his dealership has an excellent service department. I shudder to think about having to take my truck to another dealer in town, nevermind the financial strain this puts on my folks.

FWIW, his dealership is a 5 Star dealer.
Which store did he work at, if you don't me asking?

Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
Shumdit
Professional

Originally Posted by mopowar
Of the two dealerships closing here, one is in a urban area, and the other is in a densely populated shopping/suburban area. The strategy of the closings might also have something to do with land values. The land where these two are located is at it's peak value, so if they own it they will get more for it, or if they are leasing they will save more. The dealership where I bought my truck that is staying open is located in a small outlying town that has not seen nearly the expansion that it will in future years.
Chrysler does not own or lease the land that dealerships are located at, so there is no reason that would be a factor in their decision. If you think Chrysler would have taken what you mentioned into consideration for the benefit of the dealers they were cutting off, you need to hope no one shows up at your cubicle with a cup they want you to pee in tomorrow

Old 05-15-2009, 06:11 AM
kevin mccune
Amateur

Dang it-I'm afraid its over.A house divided won't stand long.
These dealers that survived around here ,I dont know-but fhey probaly wont get my business and you should have seen the prices at one of those dealerships.I know they need to be profitable,but less choice hurts the consumer in the end.I will tell you something else puerile advertising turns me against brands also.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:54 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

mopwr2u, where did you get that information? i know a few dealership managers, and there were a handful of things that were considered. sales volume was one of them, but years back, chrysler told every dealership that they wanted them all to carry all three brands..dealerships who refused arent looked upon favorably. also, dealerships that cost money, carrying a huge floorplan with lower sales volume hurt the chances of staying open as well. basically, if you didnt cost chrysler money, and if you "played nice" (taking on other brands...taking on more floorplan to get cars off factory lots), then chrysler views the dealership more favorably.

Quick Reply: Chrysler says it will close 789 dealerships