Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Chrysler says it will close 789 dealerships

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 12:29 PM
V8MANual
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said that in December, U.S. manufacturers have too many dealers competing with each other instead of with Toyota, Honda, etc.
Just listen too any of their TV ads; "We'll beat your best deal, regardless", "We have the best selection and the best price".
Toyota sold more vehicles in the U.S. last year than Ford or Chrysler with half as many dealers.
The dealers cry for more inventory and when it doesn't sell, they expect the mfr. to offer rebates. The mfr. overbuilds and then has to sell below cost to get rid of them.
The dealers never sell anything below their cost, yet every car sold by GM, Ford, & Chrysler (except a few rarities like Corvette) loses money for the manufacturer.
The only other option is for the factory to set prices and every dealer has to charge the same price. But that is not the capitalist way, so the dealers have brought this on themselves.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:59 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

My dealer made the cut. Highest volumes dealer in the area and only sells Dodge.

Here is the official list from Chrysler. PDF file, scroll down to pg 17 for the beginning of the list. It is in alphabetical order.

http://www.chryslerrestructuring.com/CHR/797.pdf

Old 05-16-2009, 07:31 PM
dodgerules86
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EDSHAM
The only other option is for the factory to set prices and every dealer has to charge the same price. But that is not the capitalist way, so the dealers have brought this on themselves.
Actually, the capitalist way is to set a price and... stick with it! If the auto makers really have to take a loss to sell vehicles, THAT is not the capitalist way, their sole reason to be in business is to make a profit.
You don't see people walking into Best Buy, Walmart, or Sears and talking down the prices of their next TV, box of Cheerios, or tool set. It's really not that fair of a comparison at all, I know, because a vehicle purchase is a lot bigger.

But it's pretty retarded that car dealers and manufacturers have conditioned us to be used to seeing massive discounts on new vehicles, to the tune sometimes of 20-30% off MSRP. And, the view is ALWAYS to NEVER pay sticker. EVER.
A house is a much bigger purchase, and even there you don't see the big cuts you see in the auto world.
And, as far as discounts, you really only see it in the Big 3. When I bought my Toyota, it was a choice between 0% financing or $2,500 off. From what I've picked up on from reading around, Honda and Toyota don't really offer anything more than that.

Their business practices are crappy, IMO. How about they lower the MSRP to be in line with what consumers would actually pay, and get rid of the gimmicky "talk downs." I had a bigger headache throwing around the POSSIBILITY of trading in my '09 Corolla for an '08 Caliber SRT-4 because, quite frankly, the Dodge dealer was being a major douche acting like they were doing me a huge favor selling me an older vehicle. (Granted, it was a new, not used, '08). Instead of treating me with respect and quite possibly earning a sale, they didn't.

Old 05-17-2009, 02:44 AM
michaelahess
Professional

My dealer in Riverton, WY is on the list. This is terrible as the only other Dodge dealer, Fremont Motors, are a bunch of retarded thiefs!

Good thing I just got some warranty work done the day before it expired! Won't be buying a Dodge again, too bad, I've always loved them.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:47 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by dodgerules86
Actually, the capitalist way is to set a price and... stick with it! If the auto makers really have to take a loss to sell vehicles, THAT is not the capitalist way, their sole reason to be in business is to make a profit.
You don't see people walking into Best Buy, Walmart, or Sears and talking down the prices of their next TV, box of Cheerios, or tool set. It's really not that fair of a comparison at all, I know, because a vehicle purchase is a lot bigger.

But it's pretty retarded that car dealers and manufacturers have conditioned us to be used to seeing massive discounts on new vehicles, to the tune sometimes of 20-30% off MSRP. And, the view is ALWAYS to NEVER pay sticker. EVER.
A house is a much bigger purchase, and even there you don't see the big cuts you see in the auto world.
And, as far as discounts, you really only see it in the Big 3. When I bought my Toyota, it was a choice between 0% financing or $2,500 off. From what I've picked up on from reading around, Honda and Toyota don't really offer anything more than that.

Their business practices are crappy, IMO. How about they lower the MSRP to be in line with what consumers would actually pay, and get rid of the gimmicky "talk downs." I had a bigger headache throwing around the POSSIBILITY of trading in my '09 Corolla for an '08 Caliber SRT-4 because, quite frankly, the Dodge dealer was being a major douche acting like they were doing me a huge favor selling me an older vehicle. (Granted, it was a new, not used, '08). Instead of treating me with respect and quite possibly earning a sale, they didn't.
Yeah... the discounts are pretty ridiculous on domestics. I go in shooting for at least 35% off. I got it this time. Actually, I've gotten it on all three of my Rams. But I ask each time and they answer each time "yes" to the question: "Are there people who really pay sticker minus manufacturer rebates?"

Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gm is clossing dealerships in Canada, any one know if Chrysler will doing the Same?

I have heard Chrysler has made money with Canadaian operations. ( lower $ and CDN government tax breaks )

Old 06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Sucks in my area. Three dealers within about a 25 mile radius. One is Jeep only, been one for 38 years. Getting closed. Sucks too, because it's a mom/pop type place and actually the only place with a service dept. I'd trust to touch my Grand Cherokee.

The other getting the axe sells the whole line, is where I bought my truck new in '04 and my mom's Grand Caravan last year. Smaller dealer, nice people, not pushy with a good reputation, however not a 5 Star.

The one who is staying is huge, 5 Star, with the worst reputation you could imagine! A couple years back, they were fined out the a$$ by the govt. when they were caught diagnosing perfectly good transmissions as bad, raping people by selling them a new tranny and the install, then taking their perfectly good trannies and re-selling those.

And that's the one who's staying -- figures!!!

Old 06-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know how ya feel Hammer, There were two major dealers around here. One I used all the time, the other burned the hell out of us on an 85 Ram Charger. Spent 2 months with that truck in the shop for warranty work. I was too young to really know what was going on, but the same dealer we hate is the only major spot that has fast shipping on parts. All the other dealers get their parts from this one dealership.

I remember going into the parts department, and the idiots couldn't even tell me where the AAT sensor plugged in.
The bad part, the dealership I wanted to buy from is closing. I think that they would have stayed open, but when the dealer is found dead with a bullet hole in his head, and the gun laying by him under a lift in the service department.... It's kinda hard for them to stay running with out a dealer....

They don't know if it was a suicide or homicide... still looking into that one.
Looks like I will be going out of state when it is time to buy another one.... If Chryat will still build rams....

Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You are pretty close to where they make 'em.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
You are pretty close to where they make 'em.
Yes I know, I am trying to locate a 3500 dually right now with bucket seats... not having the best of luck

Quick Reply: Chrysler says it will close 789 dealerships