Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Well I am shocked (Viper)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 09:26 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll be getting a 1995 in 2050.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:29 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

youll have modern classic muscle...

Old 07-21-2009, 11:44 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we want to say stock huh?

7:22.1 2009 Dodge Viper SRT-10 ACR Tom Coronel 18 August 2008 Chrysler conducted test,[2] Motor Trend confirmed, Hardcore Package option, suspension adjustments,[3] aero adjustments, video confirmed
In NO way is that stock.... once you alter even the slightest aero package, suspension, it is no longer the stock setup. Granted, it may be how it comes factory, but you are altering it for a track enviroment and not off the showroom floor. And I may be mistaken on this part but, this is even excluding the racing tires that are NOT a stock option on the car...

2009 Chevrolet Corvette C6 ZR1 Jim Mero 27 June 2008 General Motors conducted test,[4][5][6] base specification car with stock tires and non-stock safety equipment, video confirmed. Driver: Jim Mero (GM Engineer), June 2008.

The only alteration to this car from the showroom floor to the track was safety equipment..... in otherwords, this car drove from the showroom floor to the track and ripped of a 7:26...

Chase, thanks for the correction on the times, I had misread it and I appreciate the correction.

Did the Viper win? Yes. Was it in a stock setup? No. And THAT is exactly my point.... the ZR1 went to the track as you would drive it off the street and just lined up. The Viper had to be "adjusted".

I'll defend the Corvette not because I'm a GM guy, but because I'm more impressed by the Corvette then I am by the Viper in this instance.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:49 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

Originally Posted by Altair
I'm getting really sick of that argument. Same setup? Hmm, we could talk about how one is running forced induction and one is NA, however that and the tire argument are both immaterial. The Nordschleife times were achieved with both models running in stock trim. It's not our fault nor Dodge's that GM decided to equip their supercharged flagship sports car with inferior tires...
We could also talk about one being a V10 and the other being a V8, we could say one has 8.4L and the other has 6.2, but that's getting retarded.....

Tire argument is immaterial? Track tires vs. run flat stock tires.... yeah, that's a bogus argument.

Stock trim means exactly how you come off the showroom floor, not modified once you hit the track. Once you change anything on the car it becomes modified. WHY ELSE WOULD THEY LIST THE CHANGES IF IT WAS STOCK?????? Because it wasn't a stock setup.

If you take a car to a track, alter the ride height, alter the aero package on it, it's no longer stock.....even if you can do that to the car stock....once you change the default Dodge setup...its not stock anymore...

Old 07-22-2009, 12:41 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

dont get me wrong...the C6 is hot as hell. id like to have one and realistically, the vette is the more likely buy for me in the foreseeable future, unless i bought a used viper. i dont plan to buy either soon, but still..

anyway, the ACR comes with adjustable items, and again youre faulting the viper for coming with a race-ready option? none of the items on the ZR1 are adjustable? is something like dialing up a strut a modification if the component is a factory item?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:58 AM
jdcovert
Veteran

Originally Posted by DevilsReject
Why would they be? They have a car that is fully capable of beating the Viper. If anything, this is only GOOD news for both Chevy and Dodge....because its essentially the old Camaro vs. Mustang battle living on...
Thats what I was getting at... the Viper is really the only car in the same realm as the Vette... without a Viper the boys in the Vette R&D shop could just sit on their tails and relax.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:46 PM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We could also talk about one being a V10 and the other being a V8, we could say one has 8.4L and the other has 6.2, but that's getting retarded.....
We have! LOL and race tires were not put on. But I'm sure that's something that has been brought up on GM forums.

You do realize that the ZR1's body including very good aero. The front bumper might as well be a splitter and the rear spoiler is excellent.... It's also lighter than the Viper. but... a win.... is a win!

Complaining about adjustments to the STOCK Viper is like a runner complaining about another runner having his shoes tighter.

I love this comment on Jalopnik:
mrton: That drive seemed so messy and crappy compared to the ZR1. What happened to finesse?

@mrton: The Viper pinned finesse against the guardrail, chewed it up, spat it out, backed over it and did a burnout on top of it. That stain just before the finish line is what's left of your finesse.

If you want finesse, the Viper probably isn't your best choice. I'm told that it does have some other, appreciated qualities, though.
What the Corvette really needs to be worried about is the GT-R. Their time is only .3 behind the Vettes.

Last edited by Midnight SRT; 07-22-2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 07:03 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

The ZR1 will get back on that track and I expect it to be able to shave about 10 seconds off its time....

Chase: The ACR is designed for the track so it should already be setup in it's most efficient setup. Instead, it had to be modified from a factory setting to something else. The ZR1 drove off the factory line and onto the track and ran its race...

Pretty simple...

Old 07-22-2009, 07:54 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I usually do not jump in these conversations as they are usually pointless. Not like any of us have driven, or even been in, one of these cars and quite possibly may never be.

But... The ACR is setup the way it is as Dodge knows most of them will never see a track. Some will see very little sun light. Therefore they are setup for the best street ride it can possibly be. Making use of a stock component does not make it modified. Sort of like saying when I switch into 4WD on my Hemi I am no longer stock or by taking out 15PSI from the rear tires makes me modified.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tire argument is immaterial? Track tires vs. run flat stock tires.... yeah, that's a bogus argument.

Stock trim means exactly how you come off the showroom floor, not modified once you hit the track. Once you change anything on the car it becomes modified. WHY ELSE WOULD THEY LIST THE CHANGES IF IT WAS STOCK?????? Because it wasn't a stock setup.
Hardcore package option, it's a factory option so that is still stock. As for the adjustments, when the parts are designed to be adjustable from the factory that does not make the car non-stock to adjust them. You're simply doing what the design was intended to allow you to do.

I didn't mean the tires are immaterial in that the zr1's tires are equally as good, I meant the argument is immaterial in the case of stock vs. stock. The ACR can come equipped with track tires from the factory. Chevrolet's fire breathing flagship comes with.... run flats. You expect me to give them a break for their poor choice in tires? If the tires are the wrong tires (and I personally believe they are) then Chevrolet should step up and offer it with the tires that belong on that car.

Quick Reply: Well I am shocked (Viper)