Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Motor Trend Poll: Charger Vs Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:16 PM
SrtHemi
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor Trend Poll: Charger Vs Mustang

To me why even compare, #1 its a movie. They dictate what goes on. #2 it comes down to money, whoever has the most money will go faster. To me the Mustang died after 1970. Also it is hard not to sell and try and perfect a platform when that is the only thing you have to sell.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:12 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry guys, I'm not a Ford fan but would I rather drive a (Stickshift / Slushbox)... Come on, no way in hell would I take the slushbox. Heck the only reason I have it in my truck is I couldn't afford a new Dak specced how I wanted...

Old 08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
davsnothere
Amateur

I would have to go with the Charger, never been a fan of the "stang".Not to be insulting to any who like them but I never really liked them.Be it they have awesome power for a light car but not my cup of tea. When I went for a new car with power, I went to the Dodge lot and ended up buying my wagon andnever regretted it.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:56 AM
davsnothere
Amateur

Also Ibelieve the Charger is a lot heavier than the Mustang so the performance figure would reflect that.

Old 08-31-2007, 03:15 AM
Slomojo01
Professional

mustang looks pretty nice in that bullit movie. American muscle is american muscle. Old school mustang aint bad but I'd rather take a 68 cuda with a 340 anyday. All day. Anyways...

Old 09-02-2007, 04:54 PM
grungerockjeeper
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Spear_em

How rediculous! You are gonna choose a car with less hp, and a car that you've said you "hated", because of 2 extra doors. Don't say you havent; becuase I can go back and find it. Whats wrong with you; ARE YOU MAD? Are you not taking your medication? Because that to me just sounds stupid, to not like a car because it has 4 doors.
I dont like 4 door cars either unless its a wagon. Theres no good reason for a performance car to have a sedan bodystyle. It ruins the styling, it adds more weight, more parts means more complexity, and moreopenings in the body means less rigidity. If you're going to add extra doors to a car why not just add a 5th wheel and tire out back while your at it? It'd help performance about as much.

You want a family car, there are tons of them, go buy one.And dont give me that crap about Im an enthusiast but I need more room.You want a REAL car? Then leave behind the silly unneeded doors andweight behindand buy a man's car like the 'Stang, camaro, or if you want to step up to the plate wearing your big boy pants, then you buy the challenger. Then for hauling people around spend $2500 on a used Intrepid or whatever. If you dont have a problem compromising your main ride then dont tell me you're an enthusiast. Or start flaming someone else for stating a rational opinion.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:02 PM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

ORIGINAL: big asp

ORIGINAL: 2coff

This is a B.S. comparison, there two completly diffrent types of car and sould not even be compared. Now would you race a Charger or a Five-hundred, those car are in the same class.
Your point is well taken but they are being compared because of the movie, Bullit. You know, the chase scene between the black hemi Charger and the fastback Mustang? Actually the 500 isn't really in the same class as the Charger because it is extremely underpowered by comparison. Ford's TV ads claimed that the 500s are faster than a base 300. Big deal! They are not even in the same ball park in performance with a 300C, Magnum R/T or Charger R/T.

BTW, the fastest car in that chase scene has to be the VW bug. It had to be faster than both the other cars because it was at just about every intersection ahead of the others. I think it appears about 7 or 8 times in the same sequence. Watch the movie again and see how fast that VW gets around.
I noticed that VW as well, it just chugs along. They must have been near their budget limit when they shot that.......

Dusty

Old 09-03-2007, 02:49 AM
Dartman69
Veteran

Man, if they were comparing the Charger SRT-8 to the Mustang GT, it'd be a whole different ballgame.

The Charger SRT-8 is a far more refined machine than the Mustangand it's prehistoric suspension setup (live axle rear? WTF?). Despite being the heavier car at 4160 lbs., the Charger pulls a .89G on the skidpad while the Mustang GT does a .85G.

As far as acceleration is concerned, the Charger has the Mustang in it's rearview mirrors. 0-60 mph in 4.8 seconds and the 1/4-mile in 12.8 seconds for the Charger. 5.2 and 13.9 seconds respectively for the 'stang.

When it comes to braking, I have to laugh at how pitiful the Mustang is in comparison. It takes that tired, old horse 116 feet to top from 60-0 mph whilst the SRT-8 does the same deed in 110 feet! Pretty sad considering the 735 lbs weight difference!

Lastly, in my opinion, the SRT-8 looks far more menacing with it's muscular shoulders, functional hoodscope, and bold 20-inch wheels than the new Mustang does with it's wannabe, retro styling. If you want a '68 Mustang, why don't you just buy the real thing instead of the poser? They're both about as technologically advanced anyhow, so you might as well purchase the one with sex-appeal. *shrugs*

That's my 2 cents.

Old 09-04-2007, 08:29 PM
davsnothere
Amateur

Have to agree with Dartman....the SRT8 Charger looks wicked andgreat performace for a large sedan.We have a couple cruising my area and they are a real head turner.
I really like the front end (more than the Magnum) but when I drove both...the wagon just felt better and have never regretted it....It was more me.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Ramafication
Rookie

Large Sedan exactly, this movie is supposed to be based on the fast roudy look, i gotta admit the mustang can really be given a mean look, the charger is a cool looking car but a 4 door?, i dont know, movies are not based on performance , performance can be fooled in any movie with visual effects and sounds, but the overall look of the vehicle is what things are based on.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Poll: Charger Vs Mustang