Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Motor Trend Poll: Charger Vs Mustang

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 01:40 PM
big asp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Motor Trend Poll: Charger Vs Mustang

ORIGINAL: Spear_em

How rediculous! You are gonna choose a car with less hp, and a car that you've said you "hated", because of 2 extra doors. Don't say you havent; becuase I can go back and find it. Whats wrong with you; ARE YOU MAD? Are you not taking your medication? Because that to me just sounds stupid, to not like a car because it has 4 doors.
Son, it's power to weight. 300hp in a 3,523 lbs car versus 350 hp in a 4,131 lbs car. Plus you have to get the power to the ground or it does you no good. The autostick is a nice trans but it has a torque control system that makes the shifts real soft. I have the same trans in my 300C. Get that autostick to shift like the 727 auto trans in my Plymouth and it's a different story. The manual in the Mustang is a big advantage not only in accelerating but in the kind of driving it takes to whip around city streets. My guess is that the rear suspension on the Mustang hooks up better too.

My issue with the new Charger has always been looks and performance - never how many doors it has. The Charger is a compromise between performance and utility. It only pulls 0.77 on the skidpad compared to the Mustang's 0.87. Slalom speeds are 62 mph for the Charger and 65 mph for the Mustang. Although I think the Mustang's published 0 to 60 times are a bit optimistic, it's still much quicker than the Charger. The Mustang is a full half second faster in the 1/4 mile. Sorry, as much as it pains me to say this, the Charger is going to have it's butt handed to it.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:46 PM
shiltz
Captain

ORIGINAL: Spear_em

You mean to tell me that you'd rather have this P.O.S:

[IMG]local://upfiles/11859/4592EC0C5AB34D0EAF82BC36B2F9C4E8.jpg[/IMG]

Than this MUCH FASTER, COOLER LOOKING MACHINE:

[IMG]local://upfiles/11859/F3C03080B8BF48C5973467F395DCA8B7.jpg[/IMG]
umm, hate to clue you in but the charger is in no way faster than the mustang, a mustang GT does 0-60 in the 4.9 - 5.1 second range and 1/4 mile in mid 13's, the charger R/T in 5.9 - 6.1 second range and 1/4 mile in low 14's.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:55 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shiltz, he is right about the one aspect, according to a few magazines. now, i am not sure which mag mentioned it, but in the "high speed passing" drill, the charger did outscore the stang, but thats only because the notacharger has TCS, where the mustang doesnt. but as for everything else, the stang unfortunately wins...so for any real chance to ever keep up with the stang, we will have to wait until 2010 for the challenger...

or wait until my name has been changed to BadEvoIX or BadGTOLS2 [&o]

Old 07-14-2005, 03:19 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

or wait until my name has been changed to BadEvoIX or BadGTOLS2
....OR STRTLEGLMIRADA.

Old 07-14-2005, 03:42 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

come on now, people have a hard enough time figuring out what my current username is...that one would screw everyone up.

and on a quick side note, the mirada is completely street legal here..i would just have to bolt the exhaust up, and snap the wiper arms back on. and i think that insurance would be much less than it is for the RT.

Old 07-14-2005, 05:49 PM
2coff
Record Breaker

This is a B.S. comparison, there two completly diffrent types of car and sould not even be compared. Now would you race a Charger or a Five-hundred, those car are in the same class.

Old 07-14-2005, 06:40 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant

the 500 os AWD...so it should be compared to the 300C AWD.

Old 07-14-2005, 07:50 PM
big asp
Veteran

ORIGINAL: 2coff

This is a B.S. comparison, there two completly diffrent types of car and sould not even be compared. Now would you race a Charger or a Five-hundred, those car are in the same class.
Your point is well taken but they are being compared because of the movie, Bullit. You know, the chase scene between the black hemi Charger and the fastback Mustang? Actually the 500 isn't really in the same class as the Charger because it is extremely underpowered by comparison. Ford's TV ads claimed that the 500s are faster than a base 300. Big deal! They are not even in the same ball park in performance with a 300C, Magnum R/T or Charger R/T.

BTW, the fastest car in that chase scene has to be the VW bug. It had to be faster than both the other cars because it was at just about every intersection ahead of the others. I think it appears about 7 or 8 times in the same sequence. Watch the movie again and see how fast that VW gets around.

Old 07-15-2005, 12:56 AM
ViperGTS
Banned

Yes! I just saw that in the mall, the new edition of MT magazine and had to check it out. They comparison was close, eventhough the Charger RT was a bit more. I'm a little upset that they compared a heavy 4door vs. a 2 door though, it's like comparing a watermelon and a sponge and saying their obsorbancy can be compared. Now what they should have done (DC) is offered a coupe version of the Charger and let it tear up Ford... Btw, on the front page, and many of the images, the Charger was beating the Mustang. I bet they're a little biased

-Matt-

Old 07-16-2005, 11:31 AM
big asp
Veteran

The reason the Charger was in front was because they were re-creating the chase scene from the movie. It's kinda hard to chase someone when you're in front of them.

Here is a Charger design by Thom Taylor, a legitimate car designer. It was designed to be built on the current LX platform. It's practical and buildable. Now I'd be all over something like that in a heartbeat. Of course, the stock R/T should only come with the 6.1L engine and the SRT should have something off-the-charts.

[IMG]local://upfiles/9946/641442CE7CBF442FB6BC3F0FDBF51C15.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Poll: Charger Vs Mustang