Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

DCX to invest $1Billion in St. Louis Plants

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 01:24 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: DCX to invest $1Billion in St. Louis Plants

Yes, which makes it even more stupid to have 4 vehicles that look the same.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:30 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM is making plans to greatly increase production in India due to the booming car/truck market there. Maybe they will focus more on O/S markets in view of their lousy sales figures in the US.

We can only hope.

Dusty

Old 12-15-2005, 01:37 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

hey as long as ford goes out of business I'm happy.

Old 12-15-2005, 01:49 AM
dustyloins
R.I.P. Dusty (Retired Moderator
Hall of Fame Member

Shhhhhhhhh, wait until I get my 2007 Mustang GT to park beside my 2007 Dodge Ram SRT-8 in Colorado!!

Dusty

Old 12-15-2005, 02:05 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: dustyloins

Shhhhhhhhh, wait until I get my 2007 Mustang GT to park beside my 2007 Dodge Ram SRT-8 in Colorado!!

Dusty

haha I'm sorry on your very poor future purchase, but you will enjoy the ram.

Old 12-15-2005, 05:29 AM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

Chrysler is not doing as well as they are telling people. For instance this was in yesterdays det news.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...30/1148/AUTO01

These rows of Dodge trucks at the Michigan Fairgrounds are part of the overstock of Chrysler vehicles after soft sales in October and November. The automaker is enticing dealers to accept them.
Buried in inventory

Chrysler Group bargains with dealers to whittle down its bloated supply

Josee Valcourt / The Detroit News

Elizabeth Conley / The Detroit News

Chrysler Group is raising the ante in the auto industry's year-end clearance wars by offering dealers up to $750 for every extra vehicle they order up to a certain limit.

The incentives are designed to help Chrysler finish the year strong and reduce a glut of excess cars and trucks. Thousands of unsold Dodge pickups and other Chrysler vehicles are parked in lots at the Michigan Fairgrounds and Detroit Metropolitan Airport.

Chrysler is making it easier for dealers to qualify for cash incentives they can keep or pass on to customers. The automaker will pay dealers up to $500 per unit sold if monthly, quarterly and yearly sales targets are reached. Additional vehicles sold will earn dealers an extra $250 per unit, Chrysler said Monday.

Leaner inventory means lower operating costs for Chrysler. The automaker also books the revenue from a sale as soon as it delivers a vehicle to a dealer.

Yet larger showroom stockpiles put more pressure on dealers to boost sales. Dealers typically borrow money to purchase new vehicles, so the longer it takes to make a sale, the more interest dealers typically have to pay to their lenders.

And it's been taking Chrysler dealers longer to sell new cars, SUVs, minivans and pickup trucks recently.

Since October, days-to-turn -- the number of days a vehicle sits on a dealer's lots -- has been higher for each of Chrysler's three brands than the industry's average of 54 days. A new Chrysler vehicle is typically selling after 64 days on a lot; Jeep is at 83 days and Dodge is at 104 days, according to the Power Information Network, a J.D. Power and Associates affiliate.

Marlene Hollenback, owner of Dishman Dodge in Spokane Valley, Wash., chose not to accept Chrysler's offer because the dealership is already overstocked. "We're at least 100 vehicles over inventory," she said.

The dealership's annual sales have jumped a healthy 15 percent in recent years, prompting Hollenback to regularly increase orders from the factory. But 2005 has been challenging, and dealers are worried that rising interest rates, volatile gas prices and other factors affecting consumer behavior may stymie demand. Industry sales tend to dip over the winter months, too. So far this year, U.S. vehicle sales have risen about 1 percent, though Chrysler's sales have climbed 5.4 percent.

The year-end glut of vehicles "is a new experience for my dealership," Hollenback said.

General Motors Corp. and Ford Motor Co. have also slashed inventory levels this year, in part by raising discounts and cutting factory output.

Although Chrysler has posted higher sales and market share gains this year, the company wants to trim inventories. It could take six months to reduce stockpiles.

"We have a little more inventory than we want," Chrysler spokesman Jason Vines said. "Admittedly in October and November, we were a little soft."

Chrysler has 3,900 dealers nationwide. About 70 percent of the dealers contacted so far have agreed to participate in the end-of-year clearance, Vines said.

Chrysler decides the number of extra vehicles allotted to participating retailers based on size and annual sales volume. Dealers choose the cars and trucks they want.

"They gave us an allocation based on what we sold in November," Chuck Fortinberry of Clarkston Chrysler Jeep said.

There's always pressure to sell vehicles, particularly because of interest rates, he said. "But actually with the current program, we've been quite busy and I foresee having a good December," he said.

Dan Frost, president of Southfield Chrysler Jeep, is another dealer who has embraced the program.

The abundance of vehicles is working in his favor. New cars and trucks now arrive at the dealership in roughly seven to 10 days, rather than four to six weeks, he said.

You can reach Josee Valcourt at (313) 222-2300 or jmvalcourt@detnews.com.

Now most of you know I work at warren truck assy. We build rams and dakotas. We have had 8 weeks of down time already due to "inventory adjustments". Now we are to be down 1 extra week before Christmas (day shift is already gone). We go back for 4 days, then we are off for 3 weeks. Go back for 5 days, then down for 2 more weeks. That has already been scheduled and verified. Rumor has it we will work 2 weeks, then off 2 weeks till juneish. So like I said its not quite the peaches and cream dcx officials like to make it sound. We made a meager profit, but I'm sure they will find a way to "lose it" before profit sharing.

About GM having too many models. Its not that its too many. Its that they are not different enough. By the way DC is going the same route. Examples....

How many liberty's do we need? 2, I don't think so
Durangos, why 2
calibers 3? And two are jeeps?

Apparently our bean counters are coming from GM.

Joe

Old 12-15-2005, 06:17 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

HEY! What do you know! A "DCX sucks" reply from Joe!

LOL Just messin' with you man...

Old 12-15-2005, 07:57 AM
nickoman01
The Only Elite DF Member

ORIGINAL: MidnightBlueNeon

HEY! What do you know! A "DCX sucks" reply from Joe!

hahaha

Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 PM
SHAPman
Record Breaker

I'm just saying we are in a mess as well. Just not as big as one as the general, and ford. When you are on the inside it just gets old when the upper brass keeps saying how great we are when they know better!

Yes Chase we all suck! I guess dc just dosen't suck as bad!

Joe

Old 12-16-2005, 02:11 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: DevilsReject

I was incorrect, I had seen the G6 being listed as a V8. Apparently, it was changed prior to production. My apologies As far as Chevy having more cars, well what do you expect?

Pontiac hasnt had a performance car in years, this isnt anything new. The best performance car they've had in my lifetime has been the Firebird/Trans-Am, and it wasnt even as good as the current GTO. The GTO is pretty close to the Vette, maybe not the Z06, but definitely the base model. The Monte Carlo has been a joke for about 20 years now. The last version IMO, to be worth a crap was the 80's model SuperSport. Since then, it's been one big crapola. The only other major car was discontinued, and even then, Pontiac had its own version of it. For all the "performance" you claim Pontiac to have, they've never really had a car all to themselves. Least, not in recent years. I'd say the GTO is probably the closest thing to it. Meaning, it was exclusive to Pontiac and only Pontiac, not these cross platform, cross Brand cars like the Camaro/Firebird/Trans-Am.

As for the Regal/Chevy merger....it was merely to utilize the best of Buick. They no longer produce coupes, and they have essentially become the cheapo line of Cadillacs for GM. I love Buicks, great cars. I just don't see them being able to sustain themselves on 2-3 sedans that are all cross-brand platforms and those two hideous SUV's that are also cross-brand platformed. Chevy needs to lose some cars and move the Buick Sedans into its lineup.

I also too feel that it should be a GMC truck and Chevy cars.... I think they do make the better of the two. So we are definitely in agreement there.

GTO = Vette
G6 = Monte Carlo
Bonneville GTP = Impala SS
Grand Prix GTP = Cobalt SS

I really shouldnt say equal, but they are close. Truth is, every major car brand is setup like Chevy. They have the major power car in one lineup, and not in the other. The only real exception to that rule currently, is Nissan's 350Z and Infiniti's I35. Same car, chassis, engine, different body panels.

Ford has its Mustang, Chevy has the Corvette, Dodge has the Viper, Acura has the NSX

None of those cars appear in any shape or form in another lineup, its not exclusive to GM. I agree with where you are going though, I definitely think you have the right ideas on some of this.
It's okay a 3.9L is a rather large V6 by now day standards. We all screw up sooner or later. Your match-up of the following:
GTO=Vette
G6=Monte Carlo
Bonneville (either SSEi or GXP, there was never a GTP for the Bonneville)=Impala SS
Grand Prix GTP=Cobalt SS
is confusing to me on what you are trying to say. The GTO is a nice car but it is not as fast as the current base model Vette. I remember the 0-60 times being 4.4 sec vs. 4.7 sec (Vette vs. GTO). It's close but not equal and the division that is supposed to be focused on performance should have the best. The G6 is on a smaller platform and the top engine only puts out 245 hp vs. 303 hp to the Monte Carlo. The Bonneville has been discountinued and the Grand Prix GXP is a better match up to the current Impala SS since they are on the same platform and they have the same powertrains. Your right that Pontiac has historically hasn't had much of a performance car for themselves; however, their whole stragey was based on the fact that they were supposed to be the most performance focused brand in the company. For a while, Pontiac was ahead in offering performance models to their normal cars. The Grand Prix got a supercharger in '97 and it wasn't until '04 that the Chevrolet version of the W-body (the Impala) got a supercharger and it produced 20 less hp. The Grand Am had the 3.4L when the Malibu had the 3.1L for top engine options for the previous models. The issue is now that every advantage Pontiac used to have over Chevrolet is now disappearing and that is a bad thing for Pontiac. Although Buick and Olds had some of the same engine options with the same platforms, those were more premium brands and deserved to have them, whereas Chevrolet isn't and does not deserve the same line-up. Chevrolet has become too big and too diverse to be effective in a marketing stragey.

I like most of the other things that you said. It appears we do not think that differently on this subject. Your right that Buick needs more than just 2-3 cars, some ugly SUVs, and a ugly minivan to stay afloat. They need to bring back their performance side to inspire interest in their car line-up. They need a car like the GNX to do that. They need to offer the 5.3L DOD from the GXP and SS and put it in the LaCrosse because that 3.6L is nothing compared to the 3.8L supercharged V6 in terms of power. If they wanted to use the 3.6L, they should have used the 3.6L 255hp & 252 ft-lbs of tq used in the CTS and STS, instead of the 240hp & 225 ft-lbs of tq version. It would not be quite as bad a drop in power. Honestly, I would have offered the 255hp&252ft-lbs of tq version of the 3.6L standard so then it would seem like a more premium car and the new Lucerne needs to get a better engine standard than the NA 3.8L to improve its image. One car that I think should have gone to Chevrolet would have been the outgoing LeSabre. Those were very cheaply built and even the higher model didn't seem like a car that I would want to call a Buick because it didn't seem luxurious. If Buick did these things they would probably be able to steer some people away from Japanese cars because it would fit the niche that they are unable to match.

Quick Reply: DCX to invest $1Billion in St. Louis Plants