Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Ford's Response To the Hemi

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2004, 02:42 PM
georgejetson
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ford's Response To the Hemi

No copyright issues if it's just an internal name.

Old 06-10-2004, 01:17 AM
novicius
Professional

ORIGINAL: Kingelvis
Is it appropriate to call the Hemi a 'big block' in comparison to the ohc 4.7? I wonder what the maximum bore and stroke on the ohc 4.7 would be compared to the maximum bore and stroke for the Hemi.
Well, from what I recall "big block" monikers were used for raised or tall-deck engine designs over the standard style, with little to no regard for displacement: please correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Chrysler's polysphere 318 as well as several sub-400 cube mills all raised deck designs and therefore considered technically "big-blocks"?

The V10 and the new HEMI are all based on the LA-line of engines -- small blocks.

Currently, the big problem with Ford's mod-motor is the size/weight vs. power issue. 'Stangers are finding it tough to get big power without boost (sometimes turbo but usually supercharging). The mod-motor is a bit peaky, likes to rev, and doesn't have grunt down low. Plus there isn't much in terms of different heads or intakes you can get: most 'Stangers will have their SOHC heads ported and polish and fitted with oversized valves -- and they're still not flowing the numbers the stock HEMI hits!

A p&p headed SOHC '04 Mustang GT, with longtube headers, new cams, worked intake, thermostat, chip, and new 3.73 or 4.10 gears is a mid-to-low 13 car. Slightly breathed-on SRT-4's should be able to take them (tho' the 'Stang will be easier to launch)...

- novicius -

Old 06-10-2004, 09:02 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not exactly. The 318 you are refering to is the only one that follows this. All the others from the 361 on up were all true big blocks, the raised blocks "RB" were the big blocks with the taller deck height which consisted of the 413, 426 Wedge, 426 Hemi and 440.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 06-10-2004, 09:11 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kingelvis

Funny that they're talking 'big block' now. I thought the whole idea of the V-10 was to avoid making a separate 'big block' V-8. Dodge seems to be abandoning the V-10 too, as you can't get it on the Ram except the SRT10 model and of course the Viper.
Why make a regular production V10 like the previous one that only had 300 horsepower and got around 10 MPG at best, when there is a V8 Hemi with 345 horsepower and gets around 18 MPG?

ORIGINAL: infernomag

Don't cut Ford short they to have a steep history in engines
Don't forget who made their engines in the beginning, the Dodge Brothers.[sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 06-12-2004, 04:33 AM
MG42pillbox
Veteran

The Current 3rd Generation HEMI is much less "LA" Than any Mopar V10

Chrysler doesn't need a Big Block to Dominate.... Ford is, and always will be playing follow the leader. I cant wait to see the huge recall list when this new Ford engine debuts.... Just watch as their printers, are drained of ink, and the "Technical service bulletins" fill the glass offices...

You thought the Furd 6.0 was bad, OH BABY! heheheheee

Old 06-12-2004, 11:37 AM
fortywillys
Professional

If ford goe's back to pull out any engines they should be the hemi's only 60's &70's rival's the 429 boss and the sohc 427 fe aka "the cammer, it make's the 429 boss and 426 hemi look small" witch should be changed to a dohc setup, both in a 6 literbut that's what i would do if i was ford

Quick Reply: Ford's Response To the Hemi