Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Ford's Response To the Hemi

Old 06-07-2004, 01:11 PM
ViperGTS
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ford's Response To the Hemi

wasnt sure if this was posted yet.

------------------------------------------------

from a report in the "Car Connection":

Dodge is having spectacular success marketing the HEMI engine in a variety of models - and the success hasn't gone unnoticed at the competition. Ford, for one, is said to be developing a big new V-8 engine to outpower the HEMI, according to a report in the Detroit News. The News says that the engine will be based around a core version displacing 6.2 liters, larger than the competition from Dodge as well as Chevrolet and Nissan. Suppliers have begun to bid on work for the new engine, which according to the paper is known internally as the Hurricane. Ford says it's rolling out 11 new powertrains in the next few years as its financial turnaround gains steam

Old 06-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ford's Response To the Hemi

Half of the Hemi's success is the fact that it was so dominant way back when, and people know and remember that... bringing the Hemi nameplate back was an ingenious idea. I feel that the Hemi's success is half the name, and half the fact that it's a great engine... so even if Ford makes something to compete, it's still not going to have the pull that the Hemi nameplate does.... in my opinion...

~Amanda

Old 06-08-2004, 12:53 AM
novicius
Professional

This comes out to something like 380 cubes; Ford should've kept the 5.7L displacement and come out with a new mod-motor 351, maybe. Or worked on cutting down the dimensions and cost of the 5.0L Cammer? A smaller, lighter engine that is more efficient and puts out more power for the Mustang would be nice...

- novicius -

P.S. - Also, don't forget it has to deal with the HEMI's 390+ lb.-ft. @ 25 mpg, stock.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:04 AM
RumbleBeeRam
Professional

Yeah, I dont know what they could do. I mean, Pontiac could put a 6 litre in the gto and call in a superduty... famous motor.... same way they used the RAM AIR... but ford and Chevy dont really have "Cool" engine names like Hemi and superduty. I mean... "winsor" isnt that cool. Neither is "rat" or anything. I guess ford could use "cobra jet" thats kinda cool. "cammer" sounds retarded though.

Hemi will remain popular because of the fact that it shares the name of **THE** most coveted of motors on the street of those days. If you came up next to ANYTHING whether it was a cuda, a dart, a truck, or a damn bus with a hemi... it didnt matter if you were in a vette, a cobra, a mustang, or even another hemi.. you knew things were about to get exciting...and smokey hehehe

-adam

Old 06-08-2004, 07:10 AM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

By the time Ford rolls out their big new engine, Chrysler will probably have the new bigger Hemi that will still overpower anything they ever come up with. This is what an American Chrysler Corp. would do, lets see if the people at Dumler are on the right page and do it.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:41 PM
novicius
Professional

Hmm, hopefully. For my part, I'd be *supremely* happy if DCX would cooperate with the aftermarket and assist in the creation in hot hop-up parts. When I buy my HEMI Charger, I want to know that I can easily get headers, a new cam, a less-restrictive intake and an easily tuneable PCM, all functioning with MDS.

It's a dream, I know...

- novicius -

Old 06-08-2004, 10:02 PM
Kingelvis
Rookie

To be fair, Pontiac does have "Ram Air" and Chevrolet had "Turbo Fire" for small blocks and "Turbo Jet" for the MK IV. Nowadays people would assume this meant they were turbocharged though. Buick had "Stage One" and of course Olds captured the '50's imagination with its "Rocket 8"

Maybe Ford will call it the "Boss" like they did with their 429 of '69, which turned out be a major dud. The 429 was too wide, and despite sharing hemi like combustion chambers (most had wedge) with the 426, they only put in the Mustang which was too small for it, and then they bloated the Torino up to 4100lbs, so you were no better off than with the '69 Cobra Jet 428.

As far as the speed goes, Ford is at a severe disadvantage because their new F150 is incredibly heavy. Who cares if it has 350hp but weighs too much?

A much more novel power boost would be for them to introduce their experimental water injection system. As some know, Olds used this on its Turbo V-8 in '62 in order to combine high compression and turbocharging. The famous engine builder Smokey Yunick tinkered with it in the 1980s, and Ford recently had a Lightning truck using water injection. It really does the trick, you just have to refill the water tank.

Old 06-08-2004, 10:45 PM
georgejetson
Rookie

Word is that Ford will market the new motor as a Hemi rival under the name "Big Block".

Old 06-09-2004, 03:22 AM
MidnightCharge
Rookie

Don't cut Ford short they to have a steep history in engines, you have the flathead, 289 hipo, Boss 302,351,429 the last being I believe the best of it's time, don't forget the Super Cobra Jets 427 and 428. Ford has been working on several different motors that may come out sooner than you think. They have a V-10 thats a 351ci and several versions of it. No car company can just rest on their past though and I love that Chrysler and Dodge has beat the others to the punch. Remember without competition there would be no improvement. JMO

Old 06-09-2004, 02:34 PM
Kingelvis
Rookie

Funny that they're talking 'big block' now. I thought the whole idea of the V-10 was to avoid making a separate 'big block' V-8. Dodge seems to be abandoning the V-10 too, as you can't get it on the Ram except the SRT10 model and of course the Viper.

Is it appropriate to call the Hemi a 'big block' in comparison to the ohc 4.7? I wonder what the maximum bore and stroke on the ohc 4.7 would be compared to the maximum bore and stroke for the Hemi.

I also wonder how much bore and stroke lengthening they have to play with over and above the 379 inches that the "hurricane" is starting with. You'd think Chrysler would have something to say about the Hurricane name, since that was the name for the Jeep engine in the 1950s. I guess they let the copyright lapse.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford's Response To the Hemi