Brand News, Concepts & Rumors Have you heard? Have you seen? No? Come on in, read and discuss the latest from Dodge. (This is not a tech section.)

Still going to be a Dakota R/T ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 07:45 PM
jnellydodge
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Still going to be a Dakota R/T ??

Has anybody heard if dodge is still planning on makeing the Dakota R/T ????? There was a poll on here that gave me some info. but it said that it was supposed to come out 07' model year.......is this true??? Also i hope they do indeed beef up the 4.7 HO for the R/T, no offense to anybody but the HO i drove wasnt to impressive, barley compareable to my 98' with the 318......anyways anybody knows or want to comment i would appreciate it!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 08:15 PM
MoparMJM
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Still going to be a Dakota R/T ??

From what Ive seen all it is, is a package... basically just R/T badging
everthing else is the same as every other Dakota 4.7HO

and it can even come in 4x4[:@]

Old 08-21-2006, 10:00 PM
Natedogg625
Record Breaker

The new R/Ts suck badly... They should have atleast gave it a sportier suspension, or hell throw a HEMI in there. Eiter way I dont see my self buying one in the near (or far for that matter) future.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:22 PM
shadowviper

dodge messed up on the dakota...no reg cab??? what the ****!!! the new dakotas sit to low....they need to sit higher for a tougher beefier look...the r/t is the one that needs to ride low..

Old 08-31-2006, 11:57 PM
Pitt Ram
Rookie

dodge should make a 5.0 v8 just for the dakota.....they focus to much on the ram and the 6.1 hemi....or maybe make the dakota a bit smaller

Old 09-01-2006, 08:59 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Pitt Ram

dodge should make a 5.0 v8 just for the dakota.....they focus to much on the ram and the 6.1 hemi....or maybe make the dakota a bit smaller
Are you suggesting that they make a 5.0L version of the HEMI? If so, that sounds like an excellent idea to me. That way it doesn't threaten the Ram's sales.

As far as make the Dakota smaller, I don't know if I agree with that. The Dakota has been successful because of its niche size. Everyone is leaving the compact truck market for the mid-sized market. However, I think it would be better to offer a more fuel efficient option than the 3.7L. I think they either need to give the 3.7L/4.7L a technological upgrade (VVT) to boost power and fuel economy or they should just abandon the engine line and replace it with detuned, smaller displacement versions of the HEMI, because the 3.7/4.7L is being defeated by Japanese offerings that offer similar output and better fuel mileage. A MDS 5.0L would help to counter that. The new 4.0L used in the Nitro wouldn't be a bad idea either for a replacement for the 3.7L. More torque and hp for roughly the same mpg.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:42 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin

ORIGINAL: 97 3.5 Intrepid

As far as make the Dakota smaller, I don't know if I agree with that. The Dakota has been successful because of its niche size. Everyone is leaving the compact truck market for the mid-sized market. However, I think it would be better to offer a more fuel efficient option than the 3.7L. I think they either need to give the 3.7L/4.7L a technological upgrade (VVT) to boost power and fuel economy or they should just abandon the engine line and replace it with detuned, smaller displacement versions of the HEMI, because the 3.7/4.7L is being defeated by Japanese offerings that offer similar output and better fuel mileage. A MDS 5.0L would help to counter that. The new 4.0L used in the Nitro wouldn't be a bad idea either for a replacement for the 3.7L. More torque and hp for roughly the same mpg.
Very good points man....I personally agree...the 4.0L makes more sense then the 3.7L, but then its starting to eat into the V8 sales and we know that probably wont go over so well.

Personally, I'd much rather see a CRD option....and I think this would make the truck all that more marketable.....as more people who dont want a full size truck...would buy the Dakota with a Diesel....

Old 09-05-2006, 03:50 AM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

Thank you very much, DevilsReject. I getting better at this. Your right that the 4.0L would eat up the V8 sales, just look at what the Nissan Frontier is doing to the Dakota. That is why I think they should do it. They need to offer a V6 that can compete with the Japanese in both cost, fuel economy, and power, and I'm concerned that the 4.7L isn't offering a big enough advantage to keep all its customers. I think it would either be a good idea to offer a smaller V6 for the purpose fuel economy or maybe a large I4 because the Tacoma offers a fuel efficient I4 model and gains some extra sales due to this. It offers the size that the Ranger doesn't have while still having a more fuel efficient option than the Dakota.

Then you might just get your wish. http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php...ullnews&id=671 Granted Allpar.com isn't an offical site but I wouldn't be surprised if they offered it. If they offer this, it could take the place of a I4. I agree with you that a CRD option would be a good idea. The Liberty CRD was popular. The only thing is they are going to have to find a diesel that passes the emission standards. I hope they don't use the 3.0L from the Grand Cherokee, or I hope they offer it with better gearing for fuel economy purposes.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:09 PM
shiltz
Captain

Dodge needs to find a way to put the 5.7 in the dakota and drop the 4.7 outright on all models that use it imo, it's a POS, what's the point in an engine that get's the same city fuel economy, 1 MPG worse highway, and produces 100 less hp and 85lb.-ft less torque, the 4.7 simply needs to be scrapped.

Old 09-05-2006, 03:36 PM
97 3.5 Intrepid
Record Breaker

I agree that they should offer the 5.7L in it. The only problem is it might begin to compete against the Ram (not a good situation). In fairness the output of the 4.7L HO is 260 hp and 310 ft-lbs of tq. That gives the HEMI a 85 hp & 65 ft-lbs of tq advantage. The 4.7L just needs an update or it needs to be replaced with a more cost effective/more powerful engine. A smaller HEMI (maybe detuned)would work. Regardless they need an entry level V8; otherwise, they will miss out on an important market niche.

Quick Reply: Still going to be a Dakota R/T ??